Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Hove prom park run for me this morning with a new pb 20:43 and 3rd in my age group. Glorious morning on the seafront and a pleasure just to be out there. Big thanks to Knocky for the encouragement, hope the toe repairs quickly.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hove prom park run for me this morning with a new pb 20:43 and 3rd in my age group. Glorious morning on the seafront and a pleasure just to be out there. Big thanks to Knocky for the encouragement, hope the toe repairs quickly.

Well done: a PB is a joy to behold! I turned up at Worthing and yes it was a glorious day and without the customary wind. I managed a 22:18 which was not great but was my first serious run for 5 weeks and gave me a category (60-64) win (although there was a 65+ guy who beat me) and a 72.57% AG. So in the circumstances I was pleased with this; my bike rides have kept me reasonably fit while the Achilles has put me out of running action. One 'first' for me: I was overtaken by a race walker at one stage.............but edged past him at the finish.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Well done: a PB is a joy to behold! I turned up at Worthing and yes it was a glorious day and without the customary wind. I managed a 22:18 which was not great but was my first serious run for 5 weeks and gave me a category (60-64) win (although there was a 65+ guy who beat me) and a 72.57% AG. So in the circumstances I was pleased with this; my bike rides have kept me reasonably fit while the Achilles has put me out of running action. One 'first' for me: I was overtaken by a race walker at one stage.............but edged past him at the finish.

Thanks. That's still a great time considering your lay off. You actually beat me as my age grade was only 70.07%. Pleased you managed to come back at the walker. Its called park run.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Well run. Excellent time improvement. Excellent time. Under the rules set by my mate and myself you win that 5k. Any no show due to injury or illness is a loss due to not being able to get the training right. Not running due to a painfull toe is embarrassing!
So 2-2.

On hols till October now and the 17 mile 1066 Way coming up next. Should be a good day out. After that maybe a couple of 5k Parkrun challenges around mid November?

Good running in September to you all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does anyone have any experience of hill training? Fancy giving it a go but am not sure how long / steep the hill should be. I'm guessing it doesn't matter as long as you're running upwards, but interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm thinking about this a few timesView attachment 77601, up over the top of the hill, down the other side and back again, according to Strava a total of 43m elevation gain over 800m

I add hill running into my mix. I typically jog for a mile to warm up then run up a hill for 2 minutes, jog back down and do this x 12 with a mile jog at the end. This comes in at around 8 miles.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good to see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] today at Hove Park. Pacing 24 minutes - good fun, but ended up five seconds too slow...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I paced myself to sleep in until about 10am, I've struggled for running this week. The speedwork has injured my calf, so I've been a mixture of resting it and doing work in the gym. I'm hoping to resume the training plan from monday, tomorrow's 14 miler will be attempted but I will abort if it's doing damage. It's a fine line between needing to train when tired and/or a bit achey and the need to not injure yourself properly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
13 miles yesterday. Buggered knee and groin muscle today. Grrr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good signs this evening with a relatively pain free run tonight. Only 3 miles but felt OK and even managed a sub 7 minute mile, these have been as rare as a Sam Baldock goal of late.

Couldn't get a quick appointment with Jesus so instead took a chance with a guy who operates about 10 doors down the road from me in Carden Avenue. My god it was like being in a torture chamber for an hour but it's done me the world of good and only £30 for a full hour.

Going to try a slow and steady run 7 miles tomorrow and might look at a 75% effort park run Saturday.

Seems like injuries galore across the NSC running collective recently.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Took my first tentative steps on the comeback trail this evening. Gentle 5km on the seafront in 28mins or so. It's a start.

Brilliant news. Take it slowly. Good news with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] pummelling as well.
My rheumatoid arthritis has left my toe and moved into my spine. So sleeping, sitting and walking creates spasms. Looking forward to driving to the Pyrennees for a long trekking holiday tomorrow!
Being positive that I only get flare ups every 5 + years now and fingers crossed it will go within a few days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good signs this evening with a relatively pain free run tonight. Only 3 miles but felt OK and even managed a sub 7 minute mile, these have been as rare as a Sam Baldock goal of late.

Couldn't get a quick appointment with Jesus so instead took a chance with a guy who operates about 10 doors down the road from me in Carden Avenue. My god it was like being in a torture chamber for an hour but it's done me the world of good and only £30 for a full hour.

Going to try a slow and steady run 7 miles tomorrow and might look at a 75% effort park run Saturday.

Seems like injuries galore across the NSC running collective recently.

Does Jesus do regular sports massages? I've used his services for injury but I wonder if he does straight forward massages as well?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Building up to a 22 miler this weekend; the peak of my training plan.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Does Jesus do regular sports massages? I've used his services for injury but I wonder if he does straight forward massages as well?

Yes. Preventative measures. Need to be 5 days away from any race or event.
He can't do anything with rheumatoid arthritis unfortunately.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Wow, just noticed that my last run took me past the thousand mile mark since I got my running watch!

... and you've only had it a week! :thumbsup:

My calf is not enjoying the speed work still though, it's a bit of a struggle. I'm off to the Isle of Man for the weekend so my running opportunities are going to be a little bit limited I think that's probably a good thing for a rest. I am generally a bit worried about my mileage, I trust the training plan from Running World but I'm tempted to step up the milage with some double runs days. Thoughts and feelings, folks?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
... and you've only had it a week! :thumbsup:

My calf is not enjoying the speed work still though, it's a bit of a struggle. I'm off to the Isle of Man for the weekend so my running opportunities are going to be a little bit limited I think that's probably a good thing for a rest. I am generally a bit worried about my mileage, I trust the training plan from Running World but I'm tempted to step up the milage with some double runs days. Thoughts and feelings, folks?

I've read double run days are recommended by many articles and top runners, I suppose it's very much dependent on your recovery times and the pace and mileage of each run.

On the downside you could easily fall into the trap of junk miles so you will need to plan to ensure each run has a purpose.

I ran 6.5 miles last night longest for a few weeks and can certainly feel the effects today. I'll see how I feel later this week but have the option of a Park Run Saturday or a place in the Littlehampton 10k.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here