Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion losing one million a month?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's disingenuous for him to be say we're losing £1million per month, and he's making a rod for his own back. When profits from player trading are added in that figure is drastically reduced. We have the Barnes / Bridcutt sales in 2013/14 and the Buckley / Ulloa sales in 2014/15, so when the accounts are published and the losses are single figures people will quite rightly remind him he said losses were bigger in order to justify sky-high prices now.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Ok - I'm not professing to be an expert in how a professional football club is run but how on earth can we be losing £1 million a month when the amount of income that has been generated is huge and the money made from player sales is also massively outstripping the money we are spending.

Something appears to be not right with the financial side of things at the club at the moment and it appears people are choosing to keep quiet for various reasons, I don't know why but the more the supporters bury their heads in the sand and chose not to question the current board, the worse it will become.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
It's disingenuous for him to be say we're losing £1million per month, and he's making a rod for his own back. When profits from player trading are added in that figure is drastically reduced. We have the Barnes / Bridcutt sales in 2013/14 and the Buckley / Ulloa sales in 2014/15, so when the accounts are published and the losses are single figures people will quite rightly remind him he said losses were bigger in order to justify sky-high prices now.

I don't think it's disingenuous to say that we're losing £1mm a month if that's what we are doing. We might have a kitty thanks to the sales of some players, but if we end October with £1mm less that we started October with that's a loss.

We aren't going to sell an Ulloa-a-like every summer so looking at the operational costs over a month matters far more for the future of the club than the overall numbers for what is undoubtedly an exceptional year.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I don't think it's disingenuous to say that we're losing £1mm a month if that's what we are doing. We might have a kitty thanks to the sales of some players, but if we end October with £1mm less that we started October with that's a loss.

We aren't going to sell an Ulloa-a-like every summer so looking at the operational costs over a month matters far more for the future of the club than the overall numbers for what is undoubtedly an exceptional year.

Good post.

FFS why are people wetting about this!? It's an ill advised statement by Barber to get drawn on monthly losses. But surely all he is doing is managing his statement to suit his message? Classic PR! Basically the basis of this story is to justify why we are charging more than any other Championship side so it suits him now to over state by rounding up the losses, which he is roughly calenderising based on the last published accounts.

In a few months time when it comes to explaining the next set of published accounts he will round down if he needs to state a rough approximation of monthly losses, as it will suit his agenda for the club to not be making such a loss. Simple!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Begs the question, how much are other clubs losing every month and how do they manage to keep their ticket prices down?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'm surprised no one has emailed Mr Barber to ask him to clarify his comment?

Seems pretty shallow stuff from an accountant imo.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
There is a difference between total losses ( 1 million / month ) and FFP losses ( which are only part of the total loss ).
Indeed and maybe that is all there is to it.

However, whether it's an ffp issue or general money loss issue it is still a big problem and indicates that either Paul Barber is an idiot OR there are such major problems that even a genius like Paul (who can responds to emails quickly) can't solve.

The best scenario is that it's all rubbish that had been leaked to justify charging us more than is appropriate, which I don't believe for a minute.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Infrastructure costs don't count towards FFP calculations.

As for the 1m per month, it probably is an approximation of the last set of accounts released - season 12/13. Either that or depreciation of the Amex and the Academy are now being factored in to the accounts, both of which are paid for, and neither of which count towards FFP.

Ok - I'm not professing to be an expert in how a professional football club is run but how on earth can we be losing £1 million a month when the amount of income that has been generated is huge and the money made from player sales is also massively outstripping the money we are spending.

Something appears to be not right with the financial side of things at the club at the moment and it appears people are choosing to keep quiet for various reasons, I don't know why but the more the supporters bury their heads in the sand and chose not to question the current board, the worse it will become.

All I know is that it cannot be Paul Barber at fault as he answers emails quickly and that's enough for me [emoji106]

Has BHA repaid any moolah to Tony Bloom, for the stadium? Big money up front to build, I would be wanting some return by now..

I wonder how the club would be standing now, if he hadn't stepped in.

About 150 million less debt and playing at withdean:thumbsup:

or is it 170 million i can't keep up. 105 million stadium another how much for ground expansion? 5 million Plus 30 million academy plus losses of a million pound a month. So by the end of this season its around 188 million:wozza:

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We were told that the break even figure was budgeted at 15K. You have to wonder what is going on.

We seem happy to spunk money on expensive fancy infrastructure, furniture and fittings but harp on about FFP and losing 1m a month.

Seems to me we have prem spending levels off the pitch.

The 15,000 break even figure was calculated when the stadium cost was estimated at £54M , between then and construction the price of steel nearly doubled in price and the often quoted cost of £93M was just for the basic stadium , TB upgraded the specs before the initial completion plus there was the secondary stage of adding another 8,000 seats. On that basis I reckon the stadium cost twice the original estimate so the breakeven figure must be 30,000.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...It's no coincidence that we've narrowly come within the acceptable losses limit every year so far, but it certainly does help them to justify charging the prices they charge.

to what end? you're suggesting something underhand, so who do you think stands to benefit from prices being raised?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Why are you so confident that we won't become a selling club? Ulloa, Barnes, Bridcutt and Buckley have all been sold in the last year. And consider some of the points Barber raised this morning in his statement to Bozza:

As I've repeatedly explained, Championship revenues – even the best of them like ours – do not produce income to support a promotion-chasing playing budget. As such, and as much as we want to be self-sufficient, we rely on Tony’s generous subsidy (other Championship-challenging clubs are similarly subsided by their owners or through parachute payments or, in some cases, both!

However, as I state in this week’s programme notes, we continue to increase income and to reduce our costs; of course, this work is ongoing but most importantly it has allowed us to maintain our football budgets despite a lower central contribution from the Football League and new FFP constraints meaning Tony’s contribution must be reduced.

I think it is fairly likely that we will continue to contend in this division, but there is a worrying trend that our best players are ending up employed by Prem teams - if either Arsenal or Man City make Christian Walton an offer he can't refuse (and both were reputed to be tracking him in April) then you'd be able to pick an Ex-Albion Prem XI.

With high prices, high expectations, a precedent set for allowing players to leave and an FFP-enforced decrease in the funding from the chairman I'd say the conditions are all there for further departures, maybe not this season because of the Ulloa money but possibly next summer (Dunk / JFC?)

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Why are you so confident that we won't become a selling club? Ulloa, Barnes, Bridcutt and Buckley have all been sold in the last year.

Actually it's simply the fact that I don't think we have anyone else worth £8mm. We might get very lucky with Dunk in a year or so, but outside of that we just don't have the players who (currently) command that sort of fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here