Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Promotion to the PL was worth £200M, or so we kept being reminded.....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sadly I think they have already softened us up for the inevitable failure. Both Barber and CH stating it's a difficult window. Everybody else seem to get what they need

Do they. Everyone ? Every team in the premier league has already found their key targets this window and packed up shop. Really ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
SERIOUSLY ?? You want a new board ? You want the chance of a foreign Archer ? I suspect you weren't around in the bad years ! I'd rather we were L2 team with Bloom in charge then some forieign f**kwit.

This. Didn't even bother with the rest of this ridiculous thread after reading this excellent post. I owe you a thumbs up sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Personal terms probably kyboshed all of them. At some stage we will have to break the wage structure

probably. ? If you're not sure of the details then how are you so sure it was wages and the wage structure needs breaking.
Dwamena agreed personal terms and failed a medical, Andone agreed terms, fee but Deportivo pulled out of the deal because they didn't have a replacement, Janssen's fee/wages was agreed with his agent and Spurs but he didn't want a permanent transfer to Brighton. Perhaps more fool him given he ended up being given the cold shoulder by Spurs or lucky us given he's not exactly been scoring hatfuls In Turkey where he ended up.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Tony Bloom is a gambling man and after yesterday I would hope he takes the gamble on breaking the wage barrier and getting a couple of new players in.

Indeed, he is already gambling and is failing since May 2017, unless we happen to turn over a good river card.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
WHY was / has the money not been invested in the team last summer, to try to keep us in the Premier League?

We seem to have had a half hearted go at it, spending a bit of that cash but not really having a proper go!

IF we do go down, then I think it's game over for this particular Board, we will need bigger investors to get a team worthy of promotion again, a bit like Wolves have done.

All very disappointing, despite the great efforts of a top Championship side to survive in the bigtime. Truth is the players have had their chance at the bigtime, and are now falling away as we approach the sharp end of the season.

Are you one of those Palarse sleeper trolls, that got given a task by a certain Croydon forum?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
probably. ? If you're not sure of the details then how are you so sure it was wages and the wage structure needs breaking.
Dwamena agreed personal terms and failed a medical, Andone agreed terms, fee but Deportivo pulled out of the deal because they didn't have a replacement, Janssen's fee/wages was agreed with his agent and Spurs but he didn't want a permanent transfer to Brighton. Perhaps more fool him given he ended up being given the cold shoulder by Spurs or lucky us given he's not exactly been scoring hatfuls In Turkey where he ended up.

Janssen seriously ??. No goals in a spurs team that creates chances for fun. I think the barrel was being well and truly scraped in the last hr of the window. We dodged a bullet there

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Please explain?

1: Of the £200 million you quoted, half of that is in the form of parachute payments that would arise in 2018/19, and 2019/20, so in fact there is a £100 million boost this year to the club.

2: The club lost £40 million last season, given that Tony Bloom wants to stop subsidising the club each year, then the £100 million boost in point (1) becomes £60 million.

3: A number of players have been given new contracts, which are likely, along with the new signings, to increase the wage bill substantially. Of the non-big six clubs the average wage last season is £85 million, compared to £40 million last season in the Championship. This reduces the £60 million surplus to £15 million.

4: The club has spent about £40 million to date on signings, on four year contracts, this works out as an annual amortisation expense of £10 million, which reduces the surplus to £5 million.

Therefore the club has £5 million to spend in a season on player signings if it wants to break even, which equates to a £20 million spend in January spread over four years.

The £200 million claim that people make is utter balderdash.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The joke is on you I am sorry to say. Google it if you do not know!

I'd love to think the joke is on me if I had a scooby what you're prattling on about, you seem to dive from one ridiculous post and straight into another. Have a mug of Horlicks and rest that weary head of yours.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Janssen seriously ??. No goals in a spurs team that creates chances for fun. I think the barrel was being well and truly scraped in the last hr of the window. We dodged a bullet there

Yes. We probably did. But it puts paid to any ideas that Bloom wasn't prepared to invest in the team or the playing side.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I'd love to think the joke is on me if I had a scooby what you're prattling on about, you seem to dive from one ridiculous post and straight into another. Have a mug of Horlicks and rest that weary head of yours.

No excuse for ignorance, can someone explain the 'River Card' concept to him and why it would be so well known to Tony Bloom!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here