Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom's Review

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wednesday and Hull both having a day at Wembley courtesy of mysterious foreigners.

........and some good fortune and beneficial refereeing decisions.

Your mentality saddens me. It's similar to that of a small child who has been taken to Disneyland by his parents, and then claims he hated it because he didn't get to meet Mickey Mouse. Throwing a tantrum because a side who finished 20th last season didn't get promoted, despite earning 89 points and only losing five games.

Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Blackburn Rovers are also owned by foreigners, all three of them have been subject to transfer bans in the last couple of seasons because their owners did exactly what you wanted, and spent money on players that were not matched by income. Where have they finished in the last few seasons?

Leeds are a complete laughing stock having had six/seven? managers under Cellino. They are not allowed shirt advertising because he has fallen out with their former sponsors. They were all set to pull the plug on the TV cameras because Cellino wanted to change the rules.

Forest were so desperate they signed O'Grady from us for a whole season, Rovers had to sell Gestede and Rhodes once their owners, who when they bought the club didn't even understand the concept of relegation, lost interest in the football.

Birmingham City have a foreign owner in prison for money laundering.

Cardiff City have a foreign owner who changed the colour of their kit, is that what you want, us to play in red and blue stripes perhaps?

Or perhaps have a 'foreign' owner (despite him living here since 1968) such as that of Hull who has refused to watch the team play this season or allow directors from others clubs into the directors box. Why? Because the FA for once showed a bit of backbone and vetoed his attempt to rename the club 'Hull City Tigers'.

Perhaps you agree with him and would be happy to grab your ankles for someone with no connection to Brighton and Sussex to rename the Albion 'Brighton City Seagulls', so long as they promise to get out the chequebook and gamble it all on a big name striker. But it didn't work for Fulham when they signed McCormack for £11 million.

If so you're entitled to your opinion as always, but I suspect you are in a very small minority.

Tony Bloom has spent a QUARTER OF A BILLION POUNDS on this club. But it's not enough for you.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Watching that - the mixture of words from Mr Bloom, the video clips of goals and memorable games, and the video clips of the players distraught on Monday night - brought tears to my eyes.

And that shove on Dunk for the Wednesday equaliser was so blatant it was untrue!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And that shove on Dunk for the Wednesday equaliser was so blatant it was untrue!

Just can't understand why the lino didn't see it - he was in line with it and had a perfect view. Typical of our crappy luck.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Just can't understand why the lino didn't see it - he was in line with it and had a perfect view. Typical of our crappy luck.

I think Lino's (Referee's assistants, or whatever they're called!) are frightened of making important match changing decisions! They even get the simple things wrong, like who the ball came off last still!

Back to the topic. Despite the disappointment of the last three games, the future feels very good and very positive with that interview from Mr. Bloom!

Bring on the 2016/17 season a.s.a.p.!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think Lino's (Referee's assistants, or whatever they're called!) are frightened of making important match changing decisions! They even get the simple things wrong, like who the ball came off last still!!

The bloke at mkdons didn't seem to have a problem doing it. Maybe that's a good example of why they shouldn't :shrug:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Key to our success next season is the fact that unlike many seasons in the past we do not need to have the usual massive clearout and rebuild of the team. We have the nucleus of a fantastic team already and I am confident most will stay next season. With a couple of key additions and another good pre-season I think we will hit the ground running well. All to look forward to next season, I can't wait already!!

Hutonthebeach

Apr 19, 2016
It's a shame there isn't an award for Chairman of the Season.
Tony would surely win that

Bristol City
Ipswich
Huddersfield
Middlesbrough

All have decent local owners/chairmen. So do Brentford but he is a bit obsessed with the Moneyball technique.

If there was an award I would imagine it would be a toss up between Bloom & Gibson (Middlesbrough).

Hutonthebeach

Apr 19, 2016
It's a shame there isn't an award for Chairman of the Season.
Tony would surely win that

Bristol City
Ipswich
Huddersfield
Middlesbrough

All have decent local owners/chairmen. So do Brentford but he is a bit obsessed with the Moneyball technique.

If there was an award I would imagine it would be a toss up between Bloom & Gibson (Middlesbrough).

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
They can't send us to Boro at the crack of dawn for the last game next season so I guess it will be Newcastle. No chance of the *******s making it a London game or even, heaven forbid, a home one.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
1:32 in...

Tony wants top 2 next year.

I don't think he's ever gone on record with that as the season ambition before.

Fantastic. Can't wait for August.

Yes he has. Think it was the second season under Gus. Im sure Chailey bore can confirm as he loves SCOURING the print media.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes he has. Think it was the second season under Gus. Im sure Chailey bore can confirm as he loves SCOURING the print media.

He normally says that we'll have a competitive budget and we'll be aiming for the top 6 every season.
I SCOURED the print media and the BBC as well . very briefly and found this.
you might find other examples. there's plenty of em.

"We'll be looking for a top 6 finish"
TB: June 2012 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18495224

"we could get a bit of luck and finish in the top two, but I think if we finish in the top six we've got to be happy and if we are in the play-offs again hopefully we'll get a bit of luck."
TB: June 2013 http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10589607.Bloom_wants_Albion_to_be_challenging_again/

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill

Your mentality saddens me. It's similar to that of a small child who has been taken to Disneyland by his parents, and then claims he hated it because he didn't get to meet Mickey Mouse. Throwing a tantrum because a side who finished 20th last season didn't get promoted, despite earning 89 points and only losing five games.

Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Blackburn Rovers are also owned by foreigners, all three of them have been subject to transfer bans in the last couple of seasons because their owners did exactly what you wanted, and spent money on players that were not matched by income. Where have they finished in the last few seasons?

Leeds are a complete laughing stock having had six/seven? managers under Cellino. They are not allowed shirt advertising because he has fallen out with their former sponsors. They were all set to pull the plug on the TV cameras because Cellino wanted to change the rules.

Forest were so desperate they signed O'Grady from us for a whole season, Rovers had to sell Gestede and Rhodes once their owners, who when they bought the club didn't even understand the concept of relegation, lost interest in the football.

Cardiff City have a foreign owner who changed the colour of their kit, is that what you want, us to play in red and blue stripes perhaps?

Or perhaps have a 'foreign' owner (despite him living here since 1968) such as that of Hull who has refused to watch the team play this season or allow directors from others clubs into the directors box. Why? Because the FA for once showed a bit of backbone and vetoed his attempt to rename the club 'Hull City Tigers'.

Perhaps you agree with him and would be happy to grab your ankles for someone with no connection to Brighton and Sussex to rename the Albion 'Brighton City Seagulls', so long as they promise to get out the chequebook and gamble it all on a big name striker. But it didn't work for Fulham when they signed McCormack for £11 million.

If so you're entitled to your opinion as always, but I suspect you are in a very small minority.

Tony Bloom has spent a QUARTER OF A BILLION POUNDS on this club. But it's not enough for you.

Well said

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I am immensely proud that in this World of unknown multi billionaire Far Eastern nondescripts , fleecing British clubs, we have a guy who is Brighton through and through. He is humble, saged, sensible, thoughtful and clever. Fabulous and I for one think it may be a blessing in disguise that we gave ourselves another season in the Championship; to hone our squad and make ready for a Premier League winning 2017-8 season.

TNBA

TTF

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I am immensely proud that in this World of unknown multi billionaire Far Eastern nondescripts , fleecing British clubs, we have a guy who is Brighton through and through. He is humble, saged, sensible, thoughtful and clever. Fabulous and I for one think it may be a blessing in disguise that we gave ourselves another season in the Championship; to hone our squad and make ready for a Premier League winning 2017-8 season.

TNBA

TTF

Like it !

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Great interview. We are very lucky to have a true lifelong fan of the club as Chairman.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

It's hard to understand what a change of ownership could give us that Tony Bloom doesn't already offer without ending up the wrong side of FFP. Apart from pumping around £200m, interest free, to keep up afloat at Withdean, build a superb new stadium and a category 1 academy he also supports ongoing losses every season that are near the limit of what FFP allows. I suppose new owners could flout the rules and spend like QPR, but that's a gamble that is a likely to result in a transfer embargo as actually gain us promotion. I am genuinely scratching my head on this one, although I admit I am not completely au fait with the changes made to the FFP rules last season. I think the permitted losses were increased to £13m a season, but I don't know if there were other changes made that allow sugar daddies to invest more if certain conditions are met?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
He normally says that we'll have a competitive budget and we'll be aiming for the top 6 every season.
I SCOURED the print media and the BBC as well . very briefly and found this.
you might find other examples. there's plenty of em.

"We'll be looking for a top 6 finish"
TB: June 2012 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18495224

"we could get a bit of luck and finish in the top two, but I think if we finish in the top six we've got to be happy and if we are in the play-offs again hopefully we'll get a bit of luck."
TB: June 2013 http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10589607.Bloom_wants_Albion_to_be_challenging_again/

Yes I have never heard him before say Top 2 - it's always been that we'll aim for top 6.

I guess we'll see with who we get in, if we end up spending a huge amount of money on just a few signings to supplement our squad, then the aim will be top 2.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's hard to understand what a change of ownership could give us that Tony Bloom doesn't already offer without ending up the wrong side of FFP. Apart from pumping around £200m, interest free, to keep up afloat at Withdean, build a superb new stadium and a category 1 academy he also supports ongoing losses every season that are near the limit of what FFP allows. I suppose new owners could flout the rules and spend like QPR, but that's a gamble that is a likely to result in a transfer embargo as actually gain us promotion. I am genuinely scratching my head on this one, although I admit I am not completely au fait with the changes made to the FFP rules last season. I think the permitted losses were increased to £13m a season, but I don't know if there were other changes made that allow sugar daddies to invest more if certain conditions are met?

From 2016/17 FFP losses are £39m over three years, so you could gamble it all in the first year, but if not promoted would then have to have major cutbacks or accept a transfer embargo in years 2 and 3.

For me Tony Bloom is just an amazing (and very generous) fan. He travels quite often on the train with the fans rather than the team bus. He's approachable, friendly, shy (compared to the 'look at me' owners of some clubs) AND has given us the Amex and Lancing, as well as underwrite £100 million of trading losses. Oh.............he's an Albion fan too, one of us, one who has blue and white in his veins. He is doing what many of us would love to do if only we had his intelligence, business acumen and success.

That's why I can't understand the likes of [MENTION=1813]norm[/MENTION]an Baker Suck My Lozenge want to replace him with a random foreigner with no such affection for the club, purely on the whim of just spending money on players and not the infrastructure, is beyond me. Perhaps he's one of those 'fans' who are desperate to see us play Manchester United and Chelsea at the Amex, and visit their grounds too, and buy a half and half scarf. I'm not saying that's wrong, but surely he would be better transferring his support to one of those clubs if that's what is most important.

Following the Albion is a huge part of my life. After my family and good health, I can think of nothing more important in my life. But the reasons for that importance isn't the opposition or seeing their star players, it's the amazing bunch of characters, both at the club (such as Calde, Bruno, BZ etc.) and also in the fanbase itself.

Random people on the internet here on NSC with whom I have become firm friends, given me great advice on occasions (most of which I sadly ignored at the time) and lots of support in troubled times. The memories, the LOLz, the moments of sheer ecstacy that can surpass the highest high of any drug, have come at places such as Edgar Street in Hereford, the Abbey Stadium in Cambridge, not Old Traffford and White Hart Lane.

The Albion is the love supreme, but it's the shirt that counts, the sense of belonging, not the millionaire centre forward of the opponents.

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
From 2016/17 FFP losses are £39m over three years, so you could gamble it all in the first year, but if not promoted would then have to have major cutbacks or accept a transfer embargo in years 2 and 3.

For me Tony Bloom is just an amazing (and very generous) fan. He travels quite often on the train with the fans rather than the team bus. He's approachable, friendly, shy (compared to the 'look at me' owners of some clubs) AND has given us the Amex and Lancing, as well as underwrite £100 million of trading losses. Oh.............he's an Albion fan too, one of us, one who has blue and white in his veins. He is doing what many of us would love to do if only we had his intelligence, business acumen and success.

That's why I can't understand the likes of [MENTION=1813]norm[/MENTION]an Baker Suck My Lozenge want to replace him with a random foreigner with no such affection for the club, purely on the whim of just spending money on players and not the infrastructure, is beyond me. Perhaps he's one of those 'fans' who are desperate to see us play Manchester United and Chelsea at the Amex, and visit their grounds too, and buy a half and half scarf. I'm not saying that's wrong, but surely he would be better transferring his support to one of those clubs if that's what is most important.

Following the Albion is a huge part of my life. After my family and good health, I can think of nothing more important in my life. But the reasons for that importance isn't the opposition or seeing their star players, it's the amazing bunch of characters, both at the club (such as Calde, Bruno, BZ etc.) and also in the fanbase itself.

Random people on the internet here on NSC with whom I have become firm friends, given me great advice on occasions (most of which I sadly ignored at the time) and lots of support in troubled times. The memories, the LOLz, the moments of sheer ecstacy that can surpass the highest high of any drug, have come at places such as Edgar Street in Hereford, the Abbey Stadium in Cambridge, not Old Traffford and White Hart Lane.

The Albion is the love supreme, but it's the shirt that counts, the sense of belonging, not the millionaire centre forward of the opponents.

Excellent post and and one worth people thinking long and hard about.

I've read a lot on here over the years and still get surprised by the utter short-sightedness of some.

There are car crash wrecks of clubs up and down the country who are testament to the results of idiotic egotistical foreign ownership.

Tony Bloom has done for this club what no-one else could. Invest hundreds of millions without ever endangering the long-term future of the club. Lancing will be the envy of generations of fans in a few years time.

We have immediate success coupled with long-term club-centric strategy and future combined.

If that's not enough for some then perhaps they need a lobotomy.

Truly staggered by one poster on here. Surely I thought, a wind up

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
1:32 in...

Tony wants top 2 next year.

I don't think he's ever gone on record with that as the season ambition before.

Fantastic. Can't wait for August.

Getting promoted is always the ambition or aspiration of the club and this he has said numerous times in the last 5 years.
So what he says from 1.20 or so is not unusual.
"getting to the play offs 3 times in the last 4 seasons is an achievement...but it makes us even more determined..so next season we want to go up and want to be in the top 2"

In terms of what he expects given the squad then thats very different and he's cautious in line with previous statements he normally makes at the end of the transfer window
In effect all he says is we'll be competitive.

so from 4.53 he says
"We've the nucleus of a squad who i think have a real chance of challenging and getting promotion next season."

He doesn't actually say anywhere in the interview that he expects us to be top 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here