Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Penalty Save

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
It isn't about taking you too literally. You are emphasising the chance aspect of it too much, to downplay how much of the save was down to Stockdale winning that psychological battle/doing his homework. When you prepare properly, when you play the psychological game at penalties and it comes off for you, your efforts shouldn't be dismissed as "well, penalties are a lottery aren't they? Stockdale was just lucky it was put where it was".

When did I say Stockdale was lucky? Whether you like it or not there is always an element of chance when a penalty is taken, pundits and players alike have described penalty shoot outs as 'lotteries', of course I didn't mean it literally but it saves me typing 2 paragraphs to express the probability/chance aspect in depth. Stockdale went the right way and as I've said I think Caddis will be unimpressed with his penalty. Nonetheless, it was good goalkeeping.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Typical Stockdale, once again parried the ball in the area where it could have gone to an opponent.
When will he learn that he has to hold onto these shots?

Must be a wind up? Did you not see the replay? Dunk went to header the shot and got Infront of stockdales view.
Great performance from stockdale yesterday, saved a one on one, great pen save, general handling and coming for crosses was great and kicking spot on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That was one particular post that I miss worded and apologised for and shoukd be dropped
If you had apologised, I assure you I wouldn't have mentioned it again, but you didn't apologise, you said you were sorry that someone was rude to you (or words to that effect). If you subsequently apologised properly, please post a link and I will accept my mistake and apologise.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When did I say Stockdale was lucky? Whether you like it or not there is always an element of chance when a penalty is taken, pundits and players alike have described penalty shoot outs as 'lotteries', of course I didn't mean it literally but it saves me typing 2 paragraphs to express the probability/chance aspect in depth. Stockdale went the right way and as I've said I think Caddis will be unimpressed with his penalty. Nonetheless, it was good goalkeeping.

If Stockdale had dived the other way that would have looked like a perfectly placed and hit penalty. It's testament to the quality of the save that Stocko made it look rubbish.
Disagree, obviously penalties are a lottery and keepers will go the right way/wrong way a certain amount of the time. However, if the keeper goes the right way the next question is, is the penalty savable? And you would have to say yes yesterday, not placed well into one of the corners and not hit powerfully enough, he would have been better off smashing it down the middle. As I say though, good strong hand from Stockdale to tip it away from the dangerzone, and he had a good game yesterday.

Here. Mowgli talks about the save as a quality one, you disagree and talk about penalties being lotteries, and link that game of chance to keepers going the right way a certain amount of time, the suggesting being, as with lotteries, going the right way is down to luck, then talk about the shot being savable. You throw a compliment in there as an after thought, but your general tone in that post is one that dismisses how much of a part Stockdale actually played in it.

Pundits spout loads of useless cliches; games of two halves, going for the ball, got a touch, the next goal could be crucial, and among them is penalties being a lottery. They are wrong on that too. They aren't. They don't always reflect the game that preceded them, but the same game of psychology and lack of randomness applies on shoot outs. They aren't lotteries.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess the other way of looking at that post would be:-

Now 2 people are talking bollox, boooo.

"Hello, police? Yes, I'm currently driving south on the M23, and there's hundreds of cars all going the wrong way! You'd better get here quickly!"

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It was such an important save, If you look at the reaction of the crowd and players you could see how much it meant to us. Don't think we would have won if it had gone in. 2-1 down at half time would have been very difficult

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Where did I say we can't ever say the keeper made a good save?
My post wasn't solely aimed at you.

As I've stated, I didn't feel as though it was a powerful penalty, Stockdale had time to get down and got a strong hand to it
I think he only got there because he started moving before the ball was struck. It's not like the ball was kicked and Stockdale had time to see where it was going, and then get down to it.

In my personal opinion it was good goalkeeping, but i'm sure if you asked, Caddis, or the Birmingham attacking coach they would be disappointed in the quality of the penalty as it gave Stockdale a good opportunity to save.
Of course it gave Stockdale the opportunity to save, as he saved it. I think that any time someone fails to score a penalty they're going to be disappointed that they didn't hit it harder or closer to the corner. This thread was started to give praise to Stockdale on a fine save. Either you agree it was a fine save, or you don't. Comments like 'it was saveable' don't effect whether it was a fine save or not, as all fine saves were saveable.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Caddis career record is 11 penalties, 9 scored.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Hey come on, the guy is entitled to his opinion, even if your disagree with him. That's what this site is all about isn't it?, opinions.

Don't "Hey come on" me. The site is all about opinions, isn't it? :lolol:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My post wasn't solely aimed at you.

I think he only got there because he started moving before the ball was struck. It's not like the ball was kicked and Stockdale had time to see where it was going, and then get down to it.

Stockdale is allowed to move on the line before the ball is kicked. I am not sure he actually did though. It happened so quickly.

Stockdale knew that Caddis preferred to kick to his left hand side so he stood slightly towards that side of the goal (see photo on page 1), but Stockdale already had decided to save to the other side. The goal wasn't saved yet though as he has got less than a second to get his body in front of the ball. The shape of Caddis was telegraphed.

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/pks.html

The real loser from the Caddis point of view is that he wanted to shoot to his left and then changed his mind because of Stockdale.

That's how I saw it from a long way away.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stockdale is allowed to move on the line before the ball is kicked.
I know. The point being, that the penalty wasn't so slow as to allow Stockdale time to go and save it, he got there because he planned it and went early enough.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I know. The point being, that the penalty wasn't so slow as to allow Stockdale time to go and save it, he got there because he planned it and went early enough.

Exactly. That's why it was not a lucky save.

The game would have be quickly forgettable without the penalty.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That is the crunch that would have helped DS decide on the direction of his dive. Nobody has said it was a lucky save as such just should been hit better.

The crunch: Stockdale had already committed himself to diving the way he did. The telegraphing decided whether he would dive and was just a simultaneous confirmer. Caddis eyed up the goal to shoot the opposite side but then changed his mind and that why the l kick did not go in the corner. Caddis record at penalties showed that his style would score more often than not.

It was not Premier League standard, but the most of the shooting was even worse all afternoon. I think the trick is to keep the ball on the ground (requires practice when a right footer shoots to his left). I think it is possible to shape to go one way and then kick it in the other corner. A different kettle if Rosicky was taking the kick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here