Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] signings likely , or needed, in summer ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You also need to consider players who we don't want to leave, but may do.

Lewis Dunk - we could get an offer we can't refuse
Solly March - he is not happy with his lack of opportunities in the 1st team.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes, unless you're happy to start next season with 1 1/2 strikers.

I'm far happier to start the season with the current options for strikers than I am for centre midfield.
But people are still banging on about the need for strikers, without ever mentioning our most obvious glaring gap.

I'm sure we will improve in both areas, but if I had to pick just one area of focus it would be centre midfield.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We can do without that sort of attitude from March. Ship him out if that's the case.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
(clearing throat and adjusting vevet smoking jacket)

Ahem. It will depend on which division we find ourselves. Early days....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll go and get Shaqiri from Stoke and personally drive him down here if they go down, which is likely.

We will need to invest in some areas but even keeping the core squad we have now, given a complete pre-season and new sense of belonging I think we would see a slight improvement.

This.

I still rate Prichard, too, and would make an equivalent comment if Huddersfield slip through the net.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given how the potential lists of departures / potential recruits could vary dramatically depending on whether we stay up or go down, ought we not wait until we know one way or the other before speculating too much?

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
This.

I still rate Prichard, too, and would make an equivalent comment if Huddersfield slip through the net.

Quite agree with you on this one, aggressive and hard working with a range of skills.
I wonder if we will keep Solly and A K.
I think we will loose the fringe players, Rohan, Towel, Skalak etc.
BFG will be the biggest loss to me, sure he will go back to Germany to get game time,and who can blame him,

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We are desperately short of defensive midfield players , I think we will need a couple more strikers as Baldock , Hemed wil be gone and I think Murray will be used as an impact sub next season

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No.

But that wasn't the question.

Do you think the pool of CM available to him on that date, will be just Kayal, Stephens and Propper?

Which pool do you think is more essential to add to?

Strikers, even if the club kept Hemed and Baldock.
Gross can play in the middle as well, whereas it's apparent nobody can score goals, to bail out the strikers.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We can do without that sort of attitude from March. Ship him out if that's the case.

you prefer players who dont want 1st team football? his application on the pitch suggests there's no attitude there. unlike a certain other winger when things dont go his way.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
you prefer players who dont want 1st team football? his application on the pitch suggests there's no attitude there. unlike a certain other winger when things dont go his way.
No. I prefer players who up their game rather than whinge about lack of game time.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
more scorers, tighter defence / aggresive midfield to link it all up.

Unlikely, but I reckon Wilfred Zaha would be an ace signing, Some of our players seem to hesitate, when they get near the box..?

top scorer from any team that gets relegated would be a good buy..

Plays for our rivals, on 100k a week and they are not going down (we are more likely to than them). I'd say much more than unlikely. I know we want to get one over on them for Murray but be rational.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

If that is the case with March.. which I doubt.

He's hardly grabbed his opportunities when given them. I think he's had a decent amount of game time all things considered.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Plays for our rivals, on 100k a week and they are not going down (we are more likely to than them). I'd say much more than unlikely. I know we want to get one over on them for Murray but be rational.

the 40 million fee may also count us out don't you think !

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think we need a bit of a cull of the Championship players (Bong, Baldock, Hemed, Norwood, March). Ince, Towell, Skalak and Sidwell will all go, probably Hünemeier too which is a shame but he's not had any chances as we've been very fortunate with injuries at the back. If Maenpaa moves on then we'll have a decision to make about whether to retain Walton as number 2 next season or loan him out and retain Krul and bring in a third choice.

I think we'll be back in for Dembele of Celtic up front, or Abraham. Shaqiri is clearly someone Hughton loves and would be an enormous upgrade on March. We'll need a quick number 9 type striker to replace Baldock and at least two central midfielders - even assuming we don't lose Stephens or Pröpper.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Left back
Central Midfielders x 2
Centre Back (to replace Dunk as I think he goes whether we stay up or not)
Wingers x 1, maybe 2
Another Centre Forward.

I'm well aware this wont happen, guess its my wishlist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here