Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poor support when we needed it most

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also, forgot to mention this. I sat in disabled for Leicester and from there the North stand looks small and lego-ish (whiff of Burton Albion about it) and you cannnot hear the North as an entity. I ralise that we can't enlarge the North because it would create an existential crisis even to think about it and it is the Law that it can never be enlarged, much as Brexit means Brexit but.....it would be soooo much better if......

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Crowd were frustrated yesterday as we could not string 3 passes together and no amount of singing would have changed that. Bad day at the office on and off the pitch so best put to bed and move onto next week

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Really? Sheffield Weds play off game, noisy all the way through and got the reaction from the players. Carried on even when they scored. Atmosphere against Man City was amazing despite a 2-0 loss. We don't help ourselves with a lot of negative fans and the North Stand split though, admittedly.

There are always exceptions. But Brighton has a reactive crowd, it always has. The attitude seems to be that it’s up to the players to lift the crowd, rather than the other way around. It’s a shame, but I’m sure it’s to do with the demographics of the area.

When we’re doing well, the atmosphere is brilliant. How long does it ever last when we start struggling?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There are always exceptions. But Brighton has a reactive crowd, it always has. The attitude seems to be that it’s up to the players to lift the crowd, rather than the other way around. It’s a shame, but I’m sure it’s to do with the demographics of the area.

When we’re doing well, the atmosphere is brilliant. How long does it ever last when we start struggling?

Partly. But the lack of organisation doesn’t help. With a few changes, you could easily get decent proactive noise.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Atmosphere is better when we expect to lose. We can't handle the hope...
To quote the John Cleese film

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
We support. the players and management are paid beyond our dreams to give us somehing to support. That doesn't mean winning every match but but means effort, organization, not making stupid mistakes and acting like a professional. Yesterday, for the first time in a home match, the playing side didn't fulfill their side of the deal (Ryan, Schelotto and Bong excepted).
Can't disagree with any of that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I've never played professional football so I couldn't give you a definitive answer but the players often comment on how much a noisy crowd lifts them so I think it does have an effect.

Perhaps nerves got the better of all of us today and it could be that the other team did pretty well too.
Neither have I, but surely professional sportsmen should always be up for it.

Not sure the crowd play a part in poor passing, shooting, etc.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Once again couldn't hear the west. Our biggest stand needs to make some noise.

The fact you couldn't hear the WSU doesn't mean we weren't making a noise. I and those around me always do, but I was surprised when I went in the NS a few matches ago that the acoustics in the stadium means that you can't hear it from down there. One thing I can tell you for sure from my vantage point in WSU is that the NS are normally singing two different songs at once which makes it harder for us to join in.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Lot of players before the game went on record asking for loud support. It helps by all accounts. Leicester and Huddersfield seem to have achieved this organically at home.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could improve our home record even more, just by most of the ground singing positive songs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leicester's home support is garbage much of the time. Loud for 10 minutes every game and then absent. Only in their title winning season were they consistently loud and that's not difficult when you're winning every game!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Thought our support today was reactive rather than proactive. When “come on Brighton” is your loudest chant you’re not backing the players.

For the first 5 mins the players were fantastic and so were we but after that Hudds were louder more often.

Two split groups in the North competing with each other yet again. WSU not joining in often enough. And, to be fair, the players making mistake after mistake just as we got going.

Before you ask I’m back of WSU North End. Personal tally = Songs started 3, other people’s songs taken up 2, songs joined in with all. Still too quiet for me where I was.

Did you hear the noisy Mersey derby yesterday? No, me neither. Happens at all grounds. If we had continued how we were playing up until their goal, I am sure the players and the crowd would have been still up for it.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Was there much to cheer about......Lucky goal for us ....would say up there with worst performance of the season!!

Worst home performance but not the worst performance.
You’ve not been away then? Huddersfield, West Brom were very poor; Leicester, Chelsea, Spurs were toothless.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Allowing a poor team back into the game with a howler of epic proportions will kill off an atmosphere 9 times out of 10

Very true.
Being facetious, which epic howler do you refer to? Propper’s miss, Duffy’s back pass and Izquierdo’s touch and miss could all be considered as epic.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
4 things are needed to actually get each of the stands to join in rather than hope nobody sees them actually enjoying themselves .

Northstand = giphy (8).gif

Southstand giphy (9).gif

West stand giphy (10).gif

East stand defibrillator-gif-2.gif

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Been to a couple of away games....Boxing day Chelsea thought we played quite well !!

I’m not disagreeing with you here, we did play okay. But we had one shot on target/four shots in total, I recall. Chelsea had 25 shots. But we only lost 2 nil and is the reason why our goal difference is currently a respectable -14. :rock:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did you hear the noisy Mersey derby yesterday? No, me neither. Happens at all grounds. If we had continued how we were playing up until their goal, I am sure the players and the crowd would have been still up for it.

TVs were on mute on the concourse where I was lubricating my voice :drink:

But the point is the players went on record to ask for more noise in the week, Gross indicated to the North to sing up as they broke from the handshakes and Bruno did the same while warming up.

Everton’s atmosphere has always been shit whenever I’ve seen them play on tv.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The fact you couldn't hear the WSU doesn't mean we weren't making a noise. I and those around me always do, but I was surprised when I went in the NS a few matches ago that the acoustics in the stadium means that you can't hear it from down there. One thing I can tell you for sure from my vantage point in WSU is that the NS are normally singing two different songs at once which makes it harder for us to join in.

I am sure the west was making decent noise at some points. As was the east to a lesser degree. My point was a wind-up to preempt the usual posters from saying things like 'it's a shame the east library...blah blah blah.' I know I am not the only one coming home every match with a sore throat from singing/shouting etc in the east and I am tired of the moans.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Thread should read: Poor performance when we needed it most.

One inspires the other.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Thought our support today was reactive rather than proactive. When “come on Brighton” is your loudest chant you’re not backing the players.

For the first 5 mins the players were fantastic and so were we but after that Hudds were louder more often.

Two split groups in the North competing with each other yet again. WSU not joining in often enough. And, to be fair, the players making mistake after mistake just as we got going.

Before you ask I’m back of WSU North End. Personal tally = Songs started 3, other people’s songs taken up 2, songs joined in with all. Still too quiet for me where I was.

:yawn:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here