Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Can we have a 'plate' type competition for the 3rd and 4th place finishers

Done mate, please look here https://www.chess.com/news/view/albion-seagull-plate-tournament-3700 and at your invite :rock:

I think it will sort itself out. I won two of my games as the bloke was timed out but I'm clearly against two stronger players in the other games. But, as I understand it, once we know our strengths, it's easier to sort out a couple of leagues.

I know I'll finish third in my group, as I haven't played chess for 40 years, but the next time I'll be more evenly matched and I may know what I'm doing the next time

You know it will sort itself out. this site has a great ranking system and once the newcomers have played a dozen their rating will become clear, as mine will, although only to circa 1400.

This means that all players will eventually be correctly ranked, and have we can do things accordingly, especially against other teams.

However, I have to say, that if my rating gets me in against Zenit St Petersburg, they have put out out a cracking set of players, and they've done us lot proud to have to entertained us with their guys that have signed up with their individual ratings. These Russians playing have to club level at the basic, with a few that are county. I prefer to play better people than myself because I'd like to improve.

Agree with this. i have struggled to keep on top of 6 games at once as havent played for years and its makng me very slow. However I am really loving it but would prefer a type of knockout so I could concentrate on 1 game only and start to develop an understanding of the different openings etc.

Perhaps a straight knockout tournament for the 3 and 4 from each group so there is still an interest if you lose at the group stage

https://www.chess.com/news/view/albion-seagull-plate-tournament-3700

Set up :rock:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Well I had a couple of great games with Attila that I really enjoyed, mainly the one I scraped a win in! He is very very good I think, and still not quite sure how I didn’t lose both of them.

What’s the next stage?

Wait for the other groups to finish, and yours x

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Pickles

May 5, 2014
When this opens up again let me know, I haven't played in ages and ages but I'll have a crack.

Great stuff mate.

So, we now have Internationals on board :albion2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well I had a couple of great games with Attila that I really enjoyed, mainly the one I scraped a win in! He is very very good I think, and still not quite sure how I didn’t lose both of them.

What’s the next stage?

You must be pretty good then; Attila is an excellent player

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Nah, he just reads his poetry to you while you're thinking of your next move....................

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

Well it was a very tight game that I edged. He won the other more comfortably.

Just noticed I had some in game messages. Sorry to anyone I ignored including Atilla. Can’t see how you pick these up without going into comments yourself?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick

What’s the next stage?

I enjoyed them too. Was a bit complacent to begin with and you made me pay for that.... Very well played. I think I met you at a ridiculous gig I did for Brighton & Hove Estate Agents' annual dinner :)
I suspect you are probably like me: absolutely loved chess as a kid, stopped playing when life happened and you didn't want to spend time poring over a board for hours in a smelly beerless room alongside serious obsessive types, gave up. For me, 30 years later along came the internet, rediscovered it 'cos you can play at home with a beer and music on and no need to interact unless the opponent asks and might be interesting. I mostly play bullet: punk chess, all moves must be completed in 1 min, you either lose on time or checkmate, or blitz: same but 3 mins. Hardly ever play 'long' chess any more (except with my friend Tony who is not much short of national master level and nearly always beats me, or with Millwall Kev in the Welly in Shoreham, opposite extreme) but this NSC tournament is a great idea.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I enjoyed them too. Was a bit complacent to begin with and you made me pay for that.... Very well played. I think I met you at a ridiculous gig I did for Brighton & Hove Estate Agents' annual dinner :)
I suspect you are probably like me: absolutely loved chess as a kid, stopped playing when life happened and you didn't want to spend time poring over a board for hours in a smelly beerless room alongside serious obsessive types, gave up. For me, 30 years later along came the internet, rediscovered it 'cos you can play at home with a beer and music on and no need to interact unless the opponent asks and might be interesting. I mostly play bullet: punk chess, all moves must be completed in 1 min, you either lose on time or checkmate, or blitz: same but 3 mins. Hardly ever play 'long' chess any more (except with my friend Tony who is not much short of national master level and nearly always beats me, or with Millwall Kev in the Welly in Shoreham, opposite extreme) but this NSC tournament is a great idea.

Yep you’ve got me. I was at that event. Not sure we spoke, but it was a few years ago.

Yep I played for Worthing Chess Club up until I was about 16, and for Sussex once but then realised it wasn’t very cool and you never met any girls there. But that was 30 years ago so other than a couple of games against my young nephew I haven’t played since. Was surprised how much I have enjoyed playing this now. Suspect I will get found out a bit in the next round though as I need a lot more game time to get me back to a reasonable level. Being able to play in this format is amazing though. I’d have never have got a job or wife if this had been around when I was younger!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Yep you’ve got me. I was at that event. Not sure we spoke, but it was a few years ago.

Yep I played for Worthing Chess Club up until I was about 16, and for Sussex once but then realised it wasn’t very cool and you never met any girls there. But that was 30 years ago so other than a couple of games against my young nephew I haven’t played since. Was surprised how much I have enjoyed playing this now. Suspect I will get found out a bit in the next round though as I need a lot more game time to get me back to a reasonable level. Being able to play in this format is amazing though. I’d have never have got a job or wife if this had been around when I was younger!

Well played
You were both too good for me
I thought I was doing ok but then it all fell apart quicker than you can say Dimitris Anagnostopulous.

Now I know you are both virtually Grand Masters I don't feel so useless. [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

I had wooden two wooden spoon games v Neast Gull that were nearly as nerve wracking as the second half at Hereford

Good fun that

Pickles

May 5, 2014
What's the latest on the Russian match?

The details are there on the 'daily matches' link. https://www.chess.com/club/matches/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc/875230

5 of them have entered, but all of a high rating, so it'll be well tough.

I think it's starts early morning, ( my bad there because of time zones when I set it up ) but it's a 48 hour move format, so plenty of time for all.

You'll get notifications when you log in.

I'll be setting up another v someone else, but will cap the ratings around 1300 so as to give our lower ranked players, such as myself, a shot.

If anyone has any ideas, or comments or grumbles, just post a new topic on the board and get it going.

Hope everyone is enjoying it, :rock:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
The details are there on the 'daily matches' link. https://www.chess.com/club/matches/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc/875230

5 of them have entered, but all of a high rating, so it'll be well tough.

I think it's starts early morning, ( my bad there because of time zones when I set it up ) but it's a 48 hour move format, so plenty of time for all.

You'll get notifications when you log in.

I'll be setting up another v someone else, but will cap the ratings around 1300 so as to give our lower ranked players, such as myself, a shot.

If anyone has any ideas, or comments or grumbles, just post a new topic on the board and get it going.

Hope everyone is enjoying it, :rock:

Great. Blimey they look a bit good don't they. This should be fun.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here