Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pep Guardiola's yellow ribbon

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm broadly in agreement with Simster here. One assumes the FA (probably taking direction from UEFA) have to draw a line somewhere, or everybody will be wearing stuff. The annual poppy debacle grates with me every time.

I notice most appear to be on Guardiola's side re this issue. To play devil's advocate here: what would be the views on this subject if- entirely hypothetically!- James McClean turned out for a match wearing some sort of ribbon commemorating the IRA hunger strikers, or a Sinn Fein emblem?

Freedom of speech- or nothing to do with football?

image.jpeg

I will just leave this photo of James McClean's leg here. :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm broadly in agreement with Simster here. One assumes the FA (probably taking direction from UEFA) have to draw a line somewhere, or everybody will be wearing stuff. The annual poppy debacle grates with me every time.

I notice most appear to be on Guardiola's side re this issue. To play devil's advocate here: what would be the views on this subject if- entirely hypothetically!- James McClean turned out for a match wearing some sort of ribbon commemorating the IRA hunger strikers, or a Sinn Fein emblem?

Freedom of speech- or nothing to do with football?

As far as I'm aware the yellow ribbon is supporting elected politicians who haven't dabbled in terrorism in an attempt to progress their ends. Something Irish along the lines you suggest would be supporting terrorists / those that support terrorism.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
As far as I'm aware the yellow ribbon is supporting elected politicians who haven't dabbled in terrorism in an attempt to progress their ends. Something Irish along the lines you suggest would be supporting terrorists / those that support terrorism.
The yellow ribbons are in support of elected politicians who knowingly and deliberately broke the law to push their own agenda because they wouldn't do it lawfully.

Just say that the mayor of London decided that because the city makes a load of money that it should declare independence from the rest of Britain because we're a financial drain. The government then says "you can't do that" and follow it up by winning in court. The mayor still holds a referendum in London also found illegal by the courts and off the back of the result goes ahead and declares independence anyway. Is that then plucky old mayor and chums or are they a bunch of criminals?

In Catalonias case the politicians have been imprisoned because they have broken laws of a democratic country, not just een carted off to jail by a dictator and his junta. They're not heroes, they're opportunist criminals

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
He has every right to wear it. The FA does nothing against the exploitation of the betting culture of football or alcohol sponsors which they have banned in the past. Yet take issue with this.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
The yellow ribbons are in support of elected politicians who knowingly and deliberately broke the law to push their own agenda because they wouldn't do it lawfully.

Just say that the mayor of London decided that because the city makes a load of money that it should declare independence from the rest of Britain because we're a financial drain. The government then says "you can't do that" and follow it up by winning in court. The mayor still holds a referendum in London also found illegal by the courts and off the back of the result goes ahead and declares independence anyway. Is that then plucky old mayor and chums or are they a bunch of criminals?

In Catalonias case the politicians have been imprisoned because they have broken laws of a democratic country, not just een carted off to jail by a dictator and his junta. They're not heroes, they'r opportunist criminals
to be tried for sedition is excessive for a comparison see what Corbyn has supported and done and figure how long that would leave him in a Spanish prison.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
in what way?
Not wanting to stuff words into Edna's mouth, but it REALLY grates on me because wearing a poppy used to be a choice and a sign of respect for those who died. I wore one every year.

It's now being used as a political thing, a media thing a basically "IF YOU DON'T WEAR A POPPY YOU'RE A ****" thing and I find it all massively disrespectful to the people who are supposed to be being respected.

Every, EVERY person on TV on whatever programme wearing a poppy. Not because they want to but because of they don't they'll get destroyed by the papers. That's not what it's about.

I won't wear a poppy now because I'm not being forced into something that means nothing. I always give money, just don't take the token.

It's become a right load of shit and so far away from what it's supposed to be.

lovejoy

Feb 26, 2018
The Catalans have held a democratic election and win then been locked up and pro independence parties still won. Linking this to terrorism or even criminality is crazy talk. A warped sense of democracy.

I don’t think you can pick and choose what people wear either ban them all (poppies etc) or let people express their views (eg James McClean wearing a lily).

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Every, EVERY person on TV on whatever programme wearing a poppy. Not because they want to but because of they don't they'll get destroyed by the papers..

ah! the irony

the left luvvies on the BBC forced to wear poppies

victims of their own PC

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

In Catalonias case the politicians have been imprisoned because they have broken laws of a democratic country, not just een carted off to jail by a dictator and his junta. They're not heroes, they're opportunist criminals

Just say part of the EU decides its too good for the rest and decides to leave are they also opportunist criminals ?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I here what you're saying, its just I think one should be able to show their support for what you believe in, within reason.
I'm talking of peaceful reasons and not political gain.

IMAGES ARE FINE BTW :wink:

And therein lies the problem. Who defines what is reasonable?

Nicolas Anelka got in hot water for showing support to french comedian/political activist Dieudonne. He is perceived as a racist by some, therefore Anelka's show of support was frowned upon. Guardiola believes that the key figures in the Catalan situation have done nothing wrong and has pledged his support. Other people would take the opposite view and you could even go as far as making arguments for treason etc.

This is why an act that could be perceived as political, is not allowed. Grey areas need clear rules otherwise you'll end up arguing the toss on a case by case basis. I'd much rather the FA were dealing with other matters, not trying to work out if a pin badge was political or not.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Firstly the politicians have been imprisioned without trial and for political reasons. Secondly London has never been independent of the UK so the comparison doesn't work.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

It's a poor comparison to use London as an example. Catalonia is a seperate country in history. London has never been a separate country. But it is the EU way to put fingers in ears whilst saying 'lalalalalalal I can't hear you.' Interesting that the UK has more than once given the right for a democratic vote to Scotland. I wonder why the Spanish/EU won't do the same thing, is it because they are only interested in giving votes to people when they think they will vote their way?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pep Guardiola is being charged by the FA for wearing a yellow ribbon in the dugout in support of imprisoned politicians in Catalonia.

"Before a manager, I am a human being," the 47-year-old Spaniard said.

"They [the FA] know I'll wear the yellow ribbon always. It's not about politicians, it's about democracy; it's about helping the people who didn't do absolutely anything."

Says the man who is managing a football club bankrolled by the UAE. ???

boik

I’d rather politics and football we’re kept as far apart as possible. It’s not too difficult to imagine how it could end up if the boundaries are moved little by little .

If Pep was doing this for his own morality then he could discretely wear one inside his jacket, but he obviously wants the tv millions to see it.

I’m also against clubs being able to be sponsored by gambling cos, drinks cos etc.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Firstly the politicians have been imprisioned without trial and for political reasons. Secondly London has never been independent of the UK so the comparison doesn't work.

That is a very slanted view of the real situation!

Most of the individuals charged with abuse of power, misappropriation of funds, sedition etc. have been released on bail. The few that have been remanded in custody have been either charged with the most serious of offences, are a flight risk or refuse to acknowledge Spain’s constitution and/or justice system.

These individuals have been charged by the Public Prosecutor not the government - many may be current or ex politicians but they are no more political prisoners than Jeffrey Archer was.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That is a very slanted view of the real situation!

Most of the individuals charged with abuse of power, misappropriation of funds, sedition etc. have been released on bail. The few that have been remanded in custody have been either charged with the most serious of offences, are a flight risk or refuse to acknowledge Spain’s constitution and/or justice system.

These individuals have been charged by the Public Prosecutor not the government - many may be current or ex politicians but they are no more political prisoners than Jeffrey Archer was.

So are you saying that the Tory government could be locked up for inciting the UK to leave the EU which is an act of sedition in the new globalised world

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So are you saying that the Tory government could be locked up for inciting the UK to leave the EU which is an act of sedition in the new globalised world

There are some nutters out there who would completely agree with that (all the while vehemently complaining that it's the rest of the world that are nutters, not them)!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There are some nutters out there who would completely agree with that (all the while vehemently complaining that it's the rest of the world that are nutters, not them)!

So the next question

At what level is it ok for politicians to act 'to exert the will of the majority of the people' i..e. town, county, region, country, superstate(UK rather than England, Scotland, Wales, NI or the EU and its 28 member)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here