Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't think of many things less worthy of throwing money at than having an 'artist' design the inside of my front fork :lol:

Plenty of Mamils with more money than sense about though so there's bound to be takers.

There are some bloody nice 'works of art', I sure as hell wouldn't have ridden any of them this 'summer'.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=16679]Hangullton[/MENTION], I see you trying to maintain high pedalling percentages. How are you finding it?

Weather permitting I'm going to keep going a weekly training ride trying to keep the cadence up. This morning's ride was how it should be and I enjoyed it. Apart from a foot down to adjust the undercarriage.

Hangullton

Jun 13, 2010
Sompting
[MENTION=16679]Hangullton[/MENTION], I see you trying to maintain high pedalling percentages. How are you finding it?

Weather permitting I'm going to keep going a weekly training ride trying to keep the cadence up. This morning's ride was how it should be and I enjoyed it. Apart from a foot down to adjust the undercarriage.
To be honest its not something I focus on. I guess it just comes as a result of keeping up the momentum? I just try to go as quick as i can and put out as much power as my tired legs will let me [emoji21]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Apologies for butting in.

'Tis a good thing you're trying to do there Moto. Keep it up because eventually it will become second nature and it will pay dividends. I'm really glad SB and IL on here put me onto cadence. I can't imagine grinding away like I used to any more.

I think I've still a lot of room for improvement in getting my cadence up still further, but I'm fairly happy with today's ride for example of 50 miles (admittedly not overly hilly) with 82 avg and 109 max.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

'Tis a good thing you're trying to do there Moto. Keep it up because eventually it will become second nature and it will pay dividends. I'm really glad SB and IL on here put me onto cadence. I can't imagine grinding away like I used to any more.

I think I've still a lot of room for improvement in getting my cadence up still further, but I'm fairly happy with today's ride for example of 50 miles (admittedly not overly hilly) with 82 avg and 109 max.

An average of 82 is pretty good. I generally aim for a cadence of 90, and if I'm in a hurry will go up as high as 110. Smart gear usage means your shouldn't have to go over 110, and a drop in average can be caused by coasting downhill (especially in rolling down-land).

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Always nice to hear from you 10.

My Garmin funked about this morning and missed the first few miles. I'd like to say it missed the first few 50 as I've never had such a feeling of 'get home' legs for so long.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Always nice to hear from you 10.

My Garmin funked about this morning and missed the first few miles. I'd like to say it missed the first few 50 as I've never had such a feeling of 'get home' legs for so long.

My Bryton Rider has a habit of doing the same. My work around is to start recording about 5 minutes before I leave the house. It then picks up the ride fine as soon as I'm on my way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As is customary riding now and in the spring, I get a bit prissy about clothing.
I can cope with being cold in winter and hot (should that read mild) in Summer, but get a bit paranoid about overheating when it's cooler, and yet somehow I never do.

I've come to the conclusion that our bodies are very good a self regulation, as there's no way I can get my clothing choice right all of the time.

Today vest, long sleeved (favourite PBK top), long but summer gloves, shorts, wooly socks and light overshoes.

I set out in glorious sunshine, and was warm.
Then hit fog bound Shoreham, the temperature dropped by a large very noticeable margin, and yet I was still fine still nice and warm.
Finishing off riding back into the sunshine again.

Am I alone in this?
and
Am I completely wasting my time thinking too long about what 'outfit' to wear?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and in other news.

Lil Miss Stat's birthday present to Jnr has arrived, icing the cake of his bike build present from me:-

IMG_20171102_130625.jpg

Now I know you grumpy curmudgeons don't like them, but 13 year old Stat would be well happy with that.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
As is customary riding now and in the spring, I get a bit prissy about clothing.
I can cope with being cold in winter and hot (should that read mild) in Summer, but get a bit paranoid about overheating when it's cooler, and yet somehow I never do.

I've come to the conclusion that our bodies are very good a self regulation, as there's no way I can get my clothing choice right all of the time.

Today vest, long sleeved (favourite PBK top), long but summer gloves, shorts, wooly socks and light overshoes.

Then hit fog bound Shoreham, the temperature dropped by a large very noticeable margin, and yet I was still fine still nice and warm.

Am I alone in this?
and

Agree on the top Stat. Perhaps a few pairs of these should be on every families shopping list.. though the clapping could be slightly muffled ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPAGNO...843288?hash=item2cc7c08258:g:qz8AAOSwKE9Z3LAQ

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Am I alone in this?
and
I left for work this morning and it was 17c. As it's my work commute it was baggies over lycra, jersey and long fingered summer gloves. Coming home it was about 27c. Exactly the same clothing on the ride home and didn't feel that much hotter until I stopped.

I suspect the body is far better at temperature regulation than we think it is (apart from my fingers).

PS. LOVE LOVE LOVE the headset cap. Would love one of those, although on a white/grey/black bike may look at little odd.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I left for work this morning and it was 17c. As it's my work commute it was baggies over lycra, jersey and long fingered summer gloves. Coming home it was about 27c. Exactly the same clothing on the ride home and didn't feel that much hotter until I stopped.

I suspect the body is far better at temperature regulation than we think it is (apart from my fingers).

PS. LOVE LOVE LOVE the headset cap. Would love one of those, although on a white/grey/black bike may look at little odd.
I really ought to stop faffing about pre ride, or congratulating myself post ride for getting the decision right, yet again.

As for the Head caps I mentioned them a few weeks ago but the big boys pooh poohed the idea even before we got to bespoke designs.

As a completely unrelated aside last night I bought anew winter cap from Prendas :smile:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Not sure how people feel about The GCN Show, but just seen a video of theirs on improving cadence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37yy29DhyA&ab_channel=GlobalCyclingNetwork

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Does anyone else use dry chain lube? If so do you find that it needs "topping up? more often than wet lube? I made the switch about 2 months ago as it come with a chain cleaner, and I've had to reapply 4 times already.

Seems to me that dry lube only lasts about 2 weeks, where as wet lube will last a couple of months before the chain is screaming for lubrication.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Not sure how people feel about The GCN Show, but just seen a video of theirs on improving cadence

Interesting vid. I stand by my general view that you have to mix up your exercises to keep your body evolving and improving and to some degree that's what the vid says. I'll probably not adopt those training tips but I might do a few softer versions in the middle of nowhere if nobody is looking.

Chain lube will always be a random event for me, so I can't really comment on that.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Does anyone else use dry chain lube? If so do you find that it needs "topping up? more often than wet lube? I made the switch about 2 months ago as it come with a chain cleaner, and I've had to reapply 4 times already.

Seems to me that dry lube only lasts about 2 weeks, where as wet lube will last a couple of months before the chain is screaming for lubrication.

Dry for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FYI this week The Cycling Podcast chaps put up a couple of very good specials.

Mark Beaumont - round the world, n' stuff.
Connor Dunne - first Grand Tour, he being the big 'Irish' fella.
I particularly enjoyed this one (although 1066 won't as Lionel Birnie does the interview) as Dunne sounds like a lad who's still full of puberty all big awkward and galumfing. :lol:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

I'm hearing good reports about this product. However, my googling shows it has been around for ages so if it is that great I wonder why it hasn't caught on quicker..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/squirt-chain-lube-120ml/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here