Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton out

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh come on the moaners and bedwetters wanted those players out as well! Especially Barnes....he was booed for taking a penalty FFS! They were moaning about Oscar and the "boring" football under him as well. Even though we played a good possession game!
Yes the players recruited over the summer have been a let down but why do we have to throw away a nice footballing style? One bad season and the moaners have got what they wanted, hoofball. Thanks. Thanks a bunch. I would rather go down bravely trying to play football the right way instead of staying up and selling our souls by playing horrid football.

Oh dear, do keep up! Moaners and so-called bedwetters nothing like the same thing. Yes, people moaned about Barnes, Poyet, Uncle Tom Cobley and all - and still are moaning about something or other. 'Bedwetters' is a term of abuse which came on the scene last summer when some bad fans started expressing doubts about us having a top six squad. By October the 'lickers' had gone pretty quiet. I guess some of them didn't like to be proved wrong, and it's probably still a sore point for some.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
poor old Barnsie still gets slated on here by some (oops nearly gave it away there) I bet there are a lot who would willingly take him back

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh come on the moaners and bedwetters wanted those players out as well! Especially Barnes....he was booed for taking a penalty FFS! They were moaning about Oscar and the "boring" football under him as well. Even though we played a good possession game!
Yes the players recruited over the summer have been a let down but why do we have to throw away a nice footballing style? One bad season and the moaners have got what they wanted, hoofball. Thanks. Thanks a bunch. I would rather go down bravely trying to play football the right way instead of staying up and selling our souls by playing horrid football.

I don't know how to respond as I was gutted Oscar left, I was gutted we let Murray go, I accept we got a silly price for Ulloa and had to let him go, I was angry that we let Barnes go as I don't think we tried very hard to keep him. I hate the football we are playing now and I have to hold my hand up to being a bit of a bedwetter in the summer :shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
his only recruit has been Kayal
all the others(loans) have been in desperation as nobody else would come here all recovering from bad injuries.

I thought Kayal was already on the radar and that he brought in Ledesma, Carayol and Best irrespective of whether desperation or not he brought them in and they are no better than we had and he had seen.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I thought Kayal was already on the radar and that he brought in Ledesma, Carayol and Best irrespective of whether desperation or not he brought them in and they are no better than we had and he had seen.

they were all we could get = desperation and hopefully will go back although Carayol look useful
and was anyone else in for Kayal and he only cost £325k a bargain

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
they were all we could get = desperation and hopefully will go back although Carayol look useful
and was anyone else in for Kayal and he only cost £325k a bargain

Kayal actually cost a lot less than £325K so an even bigger bargain.

Carayol will be a good player when fit but he is like any winger, he will be hit and miss.

Best is a total ''enigma'' - He is actually a very good player and in the right system and the right players around him he could score goals at this level. A bit injury prone though.

When you realise what you have isn't good enough then you try anything you can and this has been a good learning curve and he had half a season to weigh up what he had at his disposal. I am quite glad he had that 6 months because it beats having to do it at the start of next season.

He probably knows now who will be offloaded in the summer............getting people to take them off your hands might be a different matter

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Negative football: Some people seem to equate not scoring with negative football. This is moronic. Negative football is not what we're playing as far as I can see. He hasn't totally abandoned our passing football strategy, just taken a more pragmatic approach to avoiding relegation. We have still, and still do, play some attractive football, we just haven't got anyone that wants to score. This does not mean that the manager deploys negative tactics.

This is a really good point, and one that should be pointed out to the Norwich fans that seem to have an obsession about telling us the way that Hughton had them playing in the PL. None of the games that I've seen us play under Hughton have been 'park the bus' negative; we actually seem quite good at getting it out of defence and passing it to the edge of the oppo box. As you correctly put, we just have a front line that's got zero confidence once we get there!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's not his team and it looks like he'll achieve the primary objective of keeping us up.

He has no forwards. In a year's time the likes of Best, CMS and O'Grady will probably be plying their trade in League 1, possibly Kaz too after recent performances. He's been unlucky with March, Ledesma was anonymous, Carayol not match fit.

It can only get better.
Any decent manager who's experienced would motivate his team the same as anyone who starts a new job etc...excuses for what is a dire,depressing,negative manager.

O and nathan donkey Jones only did well for a couple of games because the players lifted themselves after the useless hyypia left the club....let's not pump him up to be a great manager:annoyed:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Any decent manager who's experienced would motivate his team the same as anyone who starts a new job etc...excuses for what is a dire,depressing,negative manager.

O and nathan donkey Jones only did well for a couple of games because the players lifted themselves after the useless hyypia left the club....let's not pump him up to be a great manager:annoyed:

Not necessarily.

Hughton was handed the same, awfully lacking in so many areas squad (where do start ... but lack of decent strikers, creators, pace in attack, shit CMS, so-slow Greer and error-prone Stockdale), as Hyppia. Morale was rock bottom on the pitch and in the stands, there was no fight and the club were heading for relegation. Hyppia and Hughton inherited a squad that was already crap at scoring in its Amex Championship years, but had now been shorn of yet more players to the PL.

Turning that sinking ship around to give survival this season was the job description, and he's also had 3+ months to see who he wants out in the summer and where we need to invest on the playing side.

Let's not blame him for the inbalanced and weak squad.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
I imagine he'll walk when he realises the chairmen and his fluffer have sold him a huge ,HUGE lie.

You mean when he it sinks in that the money for all the many the new players we need is outside being put in a big hole called the new hotel.. Who are we Real Madrid / Man utd. Brighton has enough hotels and the majority of our fans are from SUSSEX and dont need to stay. What next an airport next to the uni in case some hi roller want to fly in what what what.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You mean when he it sinks in that the money for all the many the new players we need is outside being put in a big hole called the new hotel.. Who are we Real Madrid / Man utd. Brighton has enough hotels and the majority of our fans are from SUSSEX and dont need to stay. What next an airport next to the uni in case some hi roller want to fly in what what what.
I'm not ITK, but I'm fairly sure that the hotel isn't being built to cater for football fans for 23 nights a year.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think Hughtons done alright. I certainly don't see this 'boring' football people are saying (and let's be honest most are only saying it cos of what they've heard from Norwich fans!!!). I think it's been poor recently and can't agree with his sigining or persistence with Leon Best, however he really has got linted options. Judge him after the Summer and halfway through next season.

If he keeps us up he's done a GOOD job and has done the only thing we really asked of him when he took the job and we were in serious trouble. Give him time.

Funny how suddenly after 2 wins Nathan Jones is mentioned as possible perm manager by many. You struggled to see a good word about him under Sami / Oscar. Typical NSC bi polar :lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think Hughtons done alright. I certainly don't see this 'boring' football people are saying (and let's be honest most are only saying it cos of what they've heard from Norwich fans!!!). I think it's been poor recently and can't agree with his sigining or persistence with Leon Best, however he really has got linted options. Judge him after the Summer and halfway through next season.

If he keeps us up he's done a GOOD job and has done the only thing we really asked of him when he took the job and we were in serious trouble. Give him time.

Funny how suddenly after 2 wins Nathan Jones is mentioned as possible perm manager by many. You struggled to see a good word about him under Sami / Oscar. Typical NSC bi polar :lol:

That's not the reason why I wouldn't have wanted Nathan Jones given the job.

he is really nice guy but not forceful enough. Under previous managers he went away and learned Spanish and swans around the ground even now trying to speak Spanish to anyone who will converse with him in it.

On the face of it I think that was a great thing to do because it shows an eagerness for learning but it may also, and I don't say that it is, a sign of something else.

That something else could be seen as willing to do anything to stay in a job. If that is the case then I don't want that. For the simple reason he wouldn't then fight tooth and nail fur the funds we need to invest in the playing staff. If he had been turned down for funds needed, he might quite easily just say ''YES'' to anything the Chairman dictated just to stay in a job.

I don't advocate that the Manager needs to be at loggerheads with the Chairman on transfer policies because they actually need to work together on it; however in times where priorities differ, we need a Manager with some fight and who will stand firm in trying to get the players he needs. After all, Managers want to spend and Chairmen want to cut costs.

In short, Nathan is probably right for the coaching team but perhaps not yet ready for management. Who knows one day he will be.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Unbelievable. Every manager needs time to do the job, and you can't possibly judge whether Hughton is a failure until at least the end of next season. As others have pointed out, he needs to keep you up this season then rebuild for next. Which his track record suggests that he'll be quite decent at.

I thought the same about about Colin Wanker.

Exactly. Now fck off, you sanctimoneous Nigel. Apart from the fact that forum rules are that you're not supposed to troll on threads unless they involve Palace, it's worth pointing out that a large number of YOUR fans were every bit as bad with Colin, and as your piss poor attendances showed us, half of them don't even fkcing GO unless they're in the top division.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
No, don't sack him. Not yet anyway.

The real test of any manager is once they have built a squad of their players and not a bunch of on-loan misfits.

I do wish he'd stop saying "perhaps" in his press conferences though :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here