Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most important debut album in history

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Few finer than this, in my view ...

View attachment 53031

(Television - Marquee Moon, for the lazybones)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
a pal of mine just posted this on twitter:
Bl5bok-IIAAjKfR.jpg

Undoubtedly a great first offering, but greatest ever?

I'd go for Ramones or The Doors.

Stone Roses possibly the most important in The Hacienda on a Saturday evening.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Never Mind The Bollocks was a watershed moment in music history.

Sure, The Stooges & Velvets got to the "punk" sound and attitiude long before McLaren marketed it but the sheer number of bands that were convinced to form because of the Pistols "anyone can do it" attitude is the forbearer of the healthy independent music/DIY scene we now have. Without it we'd still be listening to posh boys playing 30 minute drum solos.

Truthfully, I don't really like the record. S'aaaaaaallright.

As for the Stone Roses being the most important debut album of all time :lolol:.

Surely Skiffle showed that anyone could pick up an instrument and play?

I think i'd probably go for Please Please Me

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Surely Skiffle showed that anyone could pick up an instrument and play?

I think i'd probably go for Please Please Me

Agreed - but to play and be a rock star? an icon? That book had been closed before the Pistols. Or at least it had in people's perceptions of what they could achieve.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for 'Never Mind The Bollocks' - more unique and influential than the Roses.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
hmX31.png

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Most important:

1. Please please me - The Beatles due to the self penned numbers and what followed
2. Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield the launch of a label and Richard Branson's empire
3. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath the launch of a genre

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Never Mind The Bollocks was a watershed moment in music history.

Sure, The Stooges & Velvets got to the "punk" sound and attitiude long before McLaren marketed it but the sheer number of bands that were convinced to form because of the Pistols "anyone can do it" attitude is the forbearer of the healthy independent music/DIY scene we now have. Without it we'd still be listening to posh boys playing 30 minute drum solos.

Truthfully, I don't really like the record. S'aaaaaaallright.

As for the Stone Roses being the most important debut album of all time :lolol:.

Was really never taken with that Manchester scene, which excelled earlier with Joy Division, the Buzzcocks, John Cooper Clarke, New Order and The Smiths. But what you attribute to Never Mind The Bollocks is probably far more the case with VU; it's just that the former happened in a remarkably brief period, whereas the latter has taken place far more extensively.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Has to be stone roses. If they didn't self implode reckon they could of been one of the biggest bands going. At least imo.

These debates are all down to which type of music you like, can never see NSC demographic agreeing with each other on this :mad:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I actually thought "The Stone Roses" before opening the thread. However the chances are it's really only called the most important debut this year because of the 25th. Perhaps the 40th anniversary of Never Mind the Bollocks it'll be that again.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has to be The Beatles.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Was really never taken with that Manchester scene, which excelled earlier with Joy Division, the Buzzcocks, John Cooper Clarke, New Order and The Smiths. But what you attribute to Never Mind The Bollocks is probably far more the case with VU; it's just that the former happened in a remarkably brief period, whereas the latter has taken place far more extensively.

The Velvets are likely my favourite band of all time and I would listen to anything they've done ahead of the Pistols on any occasion you like. I don't deny that the Velvets, Stooges, MC5 and others paved the way for Nevermind The Bollocks but there was never that Sonic Boom in America that we had from 76-83 in the wake of Never Mind The Bollocks. Just a slow drip feed of influence to the CBGB's scene, Pere Ubu etc.... IMHO anyhow.

How about Neu! ? That's a massively influential debut record....

EDIT: And Suicide - Suicide - unvelievably important debut record.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has to be stone roses. If they didn't self implode reckon they could of been one of the biggest bands going. At least imo.

These debates are all down to which type of music you like, can never see NSC demographic agreeing with each other on this :mad:

I actually think The Stone Roses are quite an overated band. The reverence placed on them is incredible for what little they actually did. They did not really trouble anyone outside of England, they do not really have an enduring track or a big hit single and their influence is debatable; Oasis and The Strokes were further reaching. Please note this is not a criticism of the band themselves as BOTH their albums IMHO were top notch. I'm just not convinced of their position in the grand scheme of things.

I'd have to go with the Pistols in response to the original question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here