Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Oh dear maybe I'm peddling FAKE NEWS ! Don't you see the slow collapse of the NHS ? Don't you see the two speed economy ? Don't you wonder how your children or grand-children are going to be able to buy a house of their own ? Do you not see the gig economy ? The trouble is the reality is that modern life in the UK is getting worse... maybe I should do those drugs and go through the Rabbit hole to some amazing fantasy world called Brexit ?

You are talking about the NHS which has been underfunded by successive governments. I will put them down Labour, lib dem and Conservative but all of a sudden this all Brexits fault well that's some time machine you have there. Also I believe it has been rather difficult for any youngsters to get on the housing ladder for years but most realise the issues behind this and it's not Brexit. A shortage of housing may be the answer but don't let that cloud your judgement eh!

larus

If one doesn't acknowledge that the impending Brexit has had a significant and direct impact on the cost of imported goods, it really devalues the argument. You can argue the positives that may offset those cost but the fall in sterling, it's relationship to brexit and it's impact on costs is an acknowledged fact.

Yes, I accept that the devaluation of the pound will be affecting import prices.

However, bearing in mind the underlying strength of the UK economy (as per all published figures post Brexit), will the Remain side FINALLY admit that the base rate cut by Carney (by playing politics when he should be independent) was not warranted. After all, an interest rate cut is to strengthen the economy, reduce the strength of the currency and both of these will lead to inflation. This has happened, so SOME of the change in inflation must be accepted by the 'Remain Elite'.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A helpful contribution from our much-loved ex PM...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38996179

_94686642_blairandjunckerepa.jpg

The EU has many well-paid Presidential positions. Must be looking for yet another source of income.

Rise up? More like throw up .. :sick:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Situations do change and things like a move to the right that you describe or a future Euro crisis might make some remainers speculate on a different vote had they been given a crystal ball last year. By the same token the Trump victory and the prospect of negotiating bilateral trade agreements in a more protectionist environment might make some leavers take a different view on the question of single market access. I think that all this illustrates is that as we embark on the process of leaving the EU we need to consider how our democratic institutions handle/reflect the changing international landscape and how people's views and priorities change in response to it.

It might but an alternative view could see the Trump victory as a positive for the UK in a post-Brexit world. The US President appears very pro UK/Brexit , favours bilateral deals over trade block agreements and has a very different stance on the EU (#bad) to his predecessors. If countries like Canada, Mexico, China find previous trade deals abandoned and new barriers going up then I would think they would be more willing to find new alternative deals in other areas. Also think it unlikely the EU would think it a good idea to increase instability by holding to a hardline negotiating position with a country that has a vital export market and is a major military Ally .. considering the fast changing international landscape.

D

Deleted member 22389

_94686642_blairandjunckerepa.jpg

The EU has many well-paid Presidential positions. Must be looking for yet another source of income.

Rise up? More like throw up .. :sick:

This fing bloke, he didn't give us a referendum whilst PM because he said he knew he would lose. As if he hasn't caused enough damage he is back again to try and change peoples minds. The only time any of us come together and agree, apart from the football of course, is when we talk about this bloke.

Why doesn't he fing retire, he did very well while everyone else suffered under his party.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ah yes, we have one of the younger generation on here who stated well before the referendum that he could not afford to get on the property market, my son's are in the same boat, but they did vote unlike some who could not be bothered or thought it would make no difference.
So the situation was the same before Brexit. Hopefully house building and control on immigration will give our youth a chance in the future, so hopefully you can cease using the guilt card.

If we start building lots of houses then it might, was the EU stopping us building? Do we not rely on a large immigrant contingent in construction?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Good to see Blair doing his bit for Brexit.

Yup, his argument is that the British people should have the right to change their minds
as the referendum was simply a snapshot of views at one time. Sounds reasonable but what if they change their minds again a couple of years later ? Is he proposing rolling referendums or perhaps he just want to keep holding them until he gets his result ? It's also odd that he didn't consult the people whilst he was in power.
There seemed actually to be a rather sinister undertone to his comment that 'you could do it in different ways.' Sounded to me like he believes he could judge public opinion to have changed using different methods than a vote.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This fing bloke, he didn't give us a referendum whilst PM because he said he knew he would lose.

Shame he didn't - we could have been out of the EU much sooner.

Great shame too that he didn't allow a democratic referendum on going to war with Iraq. Although we'd probably still have people on here bleating about how w should have gone in and got rid of Saddam Hussain!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Read the post I was replying to, it was not my idea to bring justification to younger generations in to the argument.

I read the post. Your implication that you have some sort of moral high ground by virtue of voting Remain (and that is what you are implying with your comment that justifying your decision to younger generations would be easier) is sanctimonious humbug.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What the hell is Blair doing? Completely losing the plot.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What the hell is Blair doing? Completely losing the plot.

A warning to May ref Trump. If you get into the special relationship with the US and it goes wrong, you will be never forgiven.

Frankly, I never voted for Blair, but the hatred towards him does seem disproportionate. He won 3 general elections, though you would never have thought it

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I read the post. Your implication that you have some sort of moral high ground by virtue of voting Remain (and that is what you are implying with your comment that justifying your decision to younger generations would be easier) is sanctimonious humbug.

And asking what remainers would say to their kids if Le pen gets elected and the Euro collapses wasn't sanctimonious?
I replied to the question posed, with a broad statement because I did not vote on one or two issues, and I doubt the possibility of Le Pen winning the French elections played a part in anyone's decision. I didn't start down the path of what to say to future generations if/when things go Pete Tong, I just followed JCFG.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And asking what remainers would say to their kids if Le pen gets elected and the Euro collapses wasn't sanctimonious?
I replied to the question posed, with a broad statement because I did not vote on one or two issues, and I doubt the possibility of Le Pen winning the French elections played a part in anyone's decision. I didn't start down the path of what to say to future generations if/when things go Pete Tong, I just followed JCFG.

Yes, I'm aware of what he wrote. He was speculating on what would happen if the EU effectively collapsed on itself. You on the other hand are quite certain that you already have the moral high ground by virtue of having voted a particular way in a democratic vote.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, I'm aware of what he wrote. He was speculating on what would happen if the EU effectively collapsed on itself. You on the other hand are quite certain that you already have the moral high ground by virtue of having voted a particular way in a democratic vote.

Are you suggesting that JCFG is unsure that his vote was the best way to go for everyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here