Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v QPR

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, it makes it more likely that we will go up. But, personally, I won't be taking anything for granted until it is mathematically over.
As it stands we only need to have a slump like last seasons and we are right back in the pack. Also, with the amount of money around this season the transfer window could almost create two separate seasons as teams sell and buy. So I think we should, at least, wait to see the outcome of the window before thinking too far ahead.

As CH always says (and he's obviously drilled the squad in the same way), one game at a time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We are not up until it is mathematically impossible for anyone to catch us. Until then, it should be all hands on deck!

Tend to agree with this and I suspect CH is in the same camp. We know from last year that 88 pts isn't always enough. Maintain our average points and we should be there as that would be on over 100pts. I believe the next four are all winnable. I wouldn't be pleased with 7 pts but we should certainly be looking for 9 at least.

The real unknown in this is the possibility of injuries should they arise however we are in a far better position to cope with than we were last year, the absence of Kayal and Rosenior are testament to that.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
As CH always says (and he's obviously drilled the squad in the same way), one game at a time.

Of course this is the best way of thinking for the players and staff....I'm allowing myself a bit of leeway though and if we're something like 14 points clear of 3rd with 10 games left and no major injuries, I'm gonna be looking at flights back to Blighty around Christmas time this year.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
they need to beat teams like those 'fakes' (which I think is implied to be us)

They have had a bad night and want to lash out on the interwebz. About as many fans turned up to their promotion chasing league match which could have put them 2 points behind an automatic spot, as we had against MK in the 3rd round of the cup when we closed the north stand.

That said I'm not even sure it's referring to us, as who would want to embarrass themselves enough to call our team shite?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
They have had a bad night and want to lash out on the interwebz. About as many fans turned up to their promotion chasing league match which could have put them 2 points behind an automatic spot, as we had against MK in the 3rd round of the cup when we closed the north stand.

That said I'm not even sure it's referring to us, as who would want to embarrass themselves enough to call our team shite?

I'd assume the fakes are QPR the fake them being the fact they wear the same style strip.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
That said I'm not even sure that's referring to us, as who would want to embarrass themselves enough to call our team shite?
Im not entirely sure myself, I am a little tired, so I read it as they need to beat shite teams, just like we are beating teams, but the poster is probably referring to the Rs :shrug: (I guess the plastic insults from the Nigels might have skewed my understanding of how other teams look at us so I retract that whole Brighton are fakes thing, the Royals have had a rough night and I have no ill feeling towards them.) However, my point about the desire to inject money into the club, which I assume is because fans want the money during the transfer season, still stands, it's depressing that the only solution to the problem that the fans can find is throwing money at it when there are so many cases of teams dumping extortionate amounts of money into players who do not earn their keep.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Im not entirely sure myself, I am a little tired, so I read it as they need to beat shite teams, just like we are beating teams, but the poster could be referring to the Rs :shrug: (I guess the plastic insults from the Nigels might have skewed my understanding so I retract that whole Brighton are fakes thing, the Royals have had a rough night and I have no ill feeling towards them.) However, my point about the desire to inject money into the club, which I assume is because fans want the money during the transfer season, still stands, it's depressing that the only solution to the problem that the fans can find is throwing money at it.

Without investment and a willingness to write off large sums of permitted losses each year they won't stand a chance of promotion in the years to come. Their parachutes run out this year don't they?

They would rather take investment from anywhere than patiently wait for a dream owner like TB to turn up which is highly unlikely. It's sad yes, but most clubs and their fans prefer to chance it over stagnation.

We are very lucky.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Great interview with Holloway after the game. I don't care what other Brighton fans say, I like the bloke a lot. He's one of football's nice guys.

He may have been nice about CH when he spoke about him on Sky but he was less than nice about him in an article he wrote in his newspaper column a few years ago when he was managing Birmingham over a really trivial matter regarding the colour of the Birmingham City kit..

The man opens his mouth and hot air comes out sometimes. When he was managing Millwall they were playing Bournemouth he was standing talking to Sponsors telling him his plans for the match about an hour beforehand when he should have been with his players. He was that daft he didn't even realise that there was a guy from Bournemouth there listening and taking notes. The man is Loopy Dooooooo

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think the point that many are trying to make is that given the entirety of football league history, this actually isn't true. I quite like the idea of finding the "let's count our chickens" point. I'd love to find out what was the biggest leading margin that a club had that said club then blew because of some sort of meltdown. I think someone mentioned Keegan's Newcastle team that blew a 12 point lead as an example but I'd like to know what really was the biggest team meltdown in league history. If we can find that one, then I think it's safe to say if we get past that point, it would take nothing less than something like a plane crash with the entire team aboard to stop us from going up.

I think Millwall once topped the league around Xmas and then eventually went down the same season

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
By the way, win the next 4 and if Rotherham lose the next 4 then the 'teams that can't catch us' thread appears.

Yes i'm looking forward to this.
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION]

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe, but I'd rather be cautious.
I don't think we can imagine 88 as the finish line. It could be enough, or just as easily it might not be.
I think 88 points will be enough for 2nd. At the current rate, the teams below us will only achieve 83-85 points after 46 games. Derby will likely have a better 2nd half of the season, but they'll be going some to get more than 88.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shall I start a "X points in the lead" thread?

No? Thought not.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It really wouldn't. We'd need about 22 points from 18 games. Has any team ever been 12-13-14 points clear with 18 to play and slumped as dramatically as that? I can't imagine so. Win our next four games and I think even our most pessimistic supporters would have to accept early that we were going up.

Now that said, we absolutely won't be winning our next four games. No chance. I'd take 7 points if we were offered them right now.

Nope. I'll believe we're going up when it's mathematically guaranteed. Until then it's business as usual, one game at a time.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
One thing we're all forgetting is that most of this squad will be absolutely terrified of failure. That can (and has on many occasions) do strange things to even the strongest of teams. We can't get complacent. Just enjoy the ride!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here