Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It all comes down to whoever was around when you first got in to music. If you got into The Smiths at age 16 or so, then you were probably to young to appreciate The Jam, or indeed the influence that they had on Morrissey & Marr.

As someone who brought, and still plays on vinyl everything the two bands produced, as well as seeing both live, there is only one winner and that's The Jam by a comfortable margin.

Prince Monululu has already posted Marr on stage with Weller, and here is Morrissey destroying That's Entertainment.

Some people just don't get it, well explained.

There is a couple or at least one post in another round of this competition with a list of hits by The Jam in the 70s and 80s, I'm sure they had higher chart positions in the 80s.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
How on earth did Madness get to the final!

They only have a handful of decent songs!

After that its all "gawd blimey, how's yer father" stuff

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
quite right too

comparing the Smiths to Iron Maiden is like comparing Amir Khan to Lennox Lewis

Absolutely right. Lewis is bigger and louder, and Khan is about skill and talent.

That is how your analogy was meant to work, right?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It all comes down to whoever was around when you first got in to music. If you got into The Smiths at age 16 or so, then you were probably to young to appreciate The Jam, or indeed the influence that they had on Morrissey & Marr.

As someone who brought, and still plays on vinyl everything the two bands produced, as well as seeing both live, there is only one winner and that's The Jam by a comfortable margin.

Prince Monululu has already posted Marr on stage with Weller, and here is Morrissey destroying That's Entertainment.

I disagree.

I first saw The Jam in 1977, and saw them five times in total. I saw The Smiths for the first time in 1985. I saw them 3 times.

In the late 70s, The Jam were up there with The Clash as my favourite band. In the 80s, The Smiths blew me away when they appeared on the scene.

In later years many other bands have had the same impact on me - nothing to do with what was about when I first got into music.

I know that The Jam had all their number one hits between 1980 and 1982, but This does not prove anything to me. Their popularity had risen exponentially and they could have released a recording of Weller farting into a microphone repeatedly and it would have topped the charts in those days. They were better in the seventies.

The Smiths and New Order would be fighting it out for me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's going to have a great ring to it…..

NSC's greatest British Band of the 1980's is: 1970's band The Jam.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Completely disagree this is a live version and not even a proper or fair comparison, anyway Paul Weller tripped my wife up in Hyde Park when she was pregnant and he could not be arsed saying sorry. I told him what I thought of him, he then came bounding over apologised & bought us a coffee in an effort to say sorry. He then signed the napkin which I threw in the bin in front of him, he picked it out of the bin and told me that it was valuable, I told him I have no use for napkins as I have a proper man size tissue pack in my man bag. To my amazement he offered to give my wife a piggy back to Hyde park tube station I thought nah your weird dude and left him playing tiddly winks with a nun and defrocked priest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Pretty condescending tbh, to be telling people what they do or don't appreciate. As someone else who has a decent complement of both bands' output in his collection, I'd completely refute your assertions.

I quite like that cover too!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Pretty condescending tbh, to be telling people what they do or don't appreciate. As someone else who has a decent complement of both bands' output in his collection, I'd completely refute your assertions.

I quite like that cover too!

Yeah, I forgot to mention Morrissey's cover of That's Entertainment. Pretty good in my estimation. You'd have to be predisposed against Mozzer to dismiss it so flippantly.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Of course, Paul Weller was in another superb band in the 1980s:

weller2.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I disagree.

I first saw The Jam in 1977, and saw them five times in total. I saw The Smiths for the first time in 1985. I saw them 3 times.

In the late 70s, The Jam were up there with The Clash as my favourite band. In the 80s, The Smiths blew me away when they appeared on the scene.

In later years many other bands have had the same impact on me - nothing to do with what was about when I first got into music.

I know that The Jam had all their number one hits between 1980 and 1982, but This does not prove anything to me. Their popularity had risen exponentially and they could have released a recording of Weller farting into a microphone repeatedly and it would have topped the charts in those days. They were better in the seventies.

The Smiths and New Order would be fighting it out for me.

Totally agree, brilliant post.
Surprised the Smiths and New Order not there or thereabouts. Great music, both so original and all in the 1980's.
I love The Jam, but much of their great stuff was is in the late 1970's, with just some brilliant tracks in the early 80's such as That's Entertainment.
But relieved Madness didn't win FFS .... would have a mockery of the entire poll. Some fun tracks, very different from anyone else, but musically way down the pecking order.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Totally agree, brilliant post.
Surprised the Smiths and New Order not there or thereabouts. Great music, both so original and all in the 1980's.
I love The Jam, but much of their great stuff was is in the late 1970's, with just some brilliant tracks in the early 80's such as That's Entertainment.
But relieved Madness didn't win FFS .... would have a mockery of the entire poll. Some fun tracks, very different from anyone else, but musically way down the pecking order.

Not sure why you have given me a thumbs down when this post praises The Jam, mine did the same.
And one of your points is the same as mine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here