Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “The fight has gone out of Brighton”

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wise words. There are so many people predicting an absolute tonking at Wembley, but IMO we are just as likely to put up a really good fight. And nobody in this league except Man City are so good every week that the result is a forgone conclusion. We'll bounce back, and in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see us only lose by a single goal tomorrow.

Problem is I'm one of those people, I think we'll get hammered tomorrow. But that really doesn't matter. If we can take 4 points from Watford and Burnley we'll be in a great position going into Christmas.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Problem is I'm one of those people, I think we'll get hammered tomorrow. But that really doesn't matter. If we can take 4 points from Watford and Burnley we'll be in a great position going into Christmas.
Losing comfortably wouldn't surprise me (say, 2-0), but I doubt we will lose by 4. Only Liverpool have done that sort of job on us this season, and that's because all 4 of their front men turned up on the same day. Even then, if Murray had tucked away that presentable chance at 0-2, it could have been a very different story.

This is my point - not a huge amount has changed since we hit the giddy heights of 8th. We just didn't turn up at Huddersfield, Liverpool scored more than you'd hope to see our defence allow and I suppose Stoke/Palace was perhaps 2 points dropped between them. It we'd won either of Stoke/Palace and played well enough for a draw in Yorkshire, the doom and gloom on here and predictions of an absolute spanking tomorrow would be considered ridiculous. That's not how it played out of course, but these are fine margins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why should they be similar? The established players in this division have played at this intensity and against this level of opposition player for a long time. We can't replicate that in training, it's impossible. No amount of running or weights is going to be a substitute for the real thing. Again, we might be talking 1 or 2% here, but that is enough to make a difference at this level. In the same way that a player can come back from injury and get fit enough to play, but isn't match fit- the only way for them to get match fit is to play matches. Surely the same principle applies here. It will take a season or so for our players to be up to the consistent fitness levels of the top teams.

Before our their game against us Huddersfield lost four in a row, conceding 13 goals in the process. They even lost 4-0 to Bournemouth. They had a slump, just like we are in at the moment (our slump includes games against Man Utd, Liverpool and our rivals). I think a lot of people are overreacting here. We'll come through it.

Thanks for that, I was a bit stumped on how to reply to 'yes they are more skillful, talented and have more ability, but we should be as fit', presumably while chasing the ball because you are up against more skillful talented players.

Instead I can just write...

...this.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Not entirely convinced. While tiredness is being pitched as a reason for our lack of attacking options, the goals came from sloppy defending. Get our shape back and we could be looking at a nil nil draw.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
“The fight has gone out of Brighton” :xmas:

anigif_sub-buzz-22448-1466630652-6.gif

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The international break worked against us as we had momentum before that. Our form has taken a bit of a dip but we are talking a handful of games and way too early to be hitting the panic button. This season was always going to be tough and we will be fighting off relegation along with about 8 other sides but that is what I expected at the start of the season and if anything I have been surprised how competitive we have been up to now.

We have to work so had to score a goal, it is disheartening to concede a soft goal(s) from a straightforward cross from a set piece; like Norwich visitors last season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Totally logical that we'd have some "burn out" at some stage. Propper, Gross, Stephens, Dunk, Duffy, all played practically every minute of every game. That's the spine of the team. It was always gonna be about how we handled that tiredness. Murray looks absolutely out on his feet and am shocked he hasn't been rested for Hemed yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here