Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A new Selhurst

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club’s development website states, “The centrepiece of the redevelopment is a stunning new five-storey stand featuring an all-glass front – a homage to the club’s earliest days when it stood in the shadows of the original Crystal Palace, erected on Sydenham Hill. A central vaulted arch, with the famous Eagle crest, is a reminder of the iconic 1851 Exhibition Hall, and eagle wings flank the 41-metre structure.

The project is being designed by leading stadium architects KSS, the firm behind the redevelopment of iconic sporting venues, including Anfield, Twickenham and Wimbledon. The roof of the new stand will be designed to funnel sound down to the pitch and the Arthur Wait Stand opposite.

Funny didn't mention the award winning Amex Stadium they also designed!

Probably the embarrassment that their architects just pulled up their old Amex West Stand plans and swapped the colours around.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A Palace fan will be along in a minute to explain how their American part-owners, who are overseeing an unprecedented period of success at Selhurst Park, have ring-fenced the funds for the ground meaning whoever their manager is by the time the next transfer window comes round will be able to invest in more top-notch talent like Emmanuel Adebayor.

Laugh out loud moment.

Which given I am listening to the cricket whilst supposedly working has not gone unnoticed by others.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
It gets better:

Unmentioned at today’s launch and in the glossy presentation which was slavishly published at the weekend by a Guildford-based, small-circulation newspaper, is that the scheme would also require the demolition of seven houses, on Wooderson Close, and that this would need a Compulsory Purchase Order through the council.

If they don't already own the properties that need to be demolished, or have not come to an agreement to buy them then the plan to start work before the end of 2018 doesn't seem realistic. CPOs aren't easy to come by.

Also, I must surely be wrong, but it does look like they are planning to add around 2000 uncovered seats, many with obstructed views. Confused.

Selhurst.JPG

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
If they don't already own the properties that need to be demolished, or have not come to an agreement to buy them then the plan to start work before the end of 2018 doesn't seem realistic. CPOs aren't easy to come by.

Also, I must surely be wrong, but it does look like they are planning to add around 2000 uncovered seats, many with obstructed views. Confused.

View attachment 91715

You don't need cover when you are wearing a balaclava and have you black hoodie zipped right up to the top.

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013
Don't know why you are the least bit bothered to be honest. You've got a lovely brand new stadium, albeit flat packed and we've just got a new stand.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Probably the embarrassment that their architects just pulled up their old Amex West Stand plans and swapped the colours around.
"Quick, we need a distraction. Just give us any plans you have on file..."

Lol

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Don't know why you are the least bit bothered to be honest. You've got a lovely brand new stadium, albeit flat packed and we've just got a new stand.

Flat packed? The Amex is unique as they come. You're wetting yourselves over a glass fascia on the back of our West Stand. The renders of the rest of the stadium looking all white and shiny aren't fooling anyone and only serve to try to make the new stand blend in. Which, it won't.

IF it gets built at all that is....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

It ain't Stoke or Southamptonm its unique. You're talking rubbush

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Funny you should say that really, flat pack best describes identical stadiums like the I-pro and Riverside, or standard bowls like St Mary’s, King Power and the lift the lid and stick it on Madejski. The Amex is a completely unique stadium that has won buckets of awards and was selected as a host stadium for the Rugby World Cup.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can you imagine the beauty of them unveiling that ready for a season in the championship and only half filling it. Could be the end of them (again). I hope the builders get paid upfront.

It's only Paddy O'Reilly and his mate doing it cash in hand.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

View attachment 91715

Me if I owned one of those houses:-

giphy.gif

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear

Probably dipped their fees to 10 pence in the pound so they recycled the West Stand drawings to save a bit of time to try make something out of the project. Sometimes it the only way in this industry :laugh:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Me if I owned one of those houses:-

View attachment 91725

I wouldn't be getting too excited if I were them. They haven't even submitted a planning application yet, there's no agreement with Sainsburys (in fact it sounds like this is the first they've heard of it), and CPO's are notoriously difficult to push through (just ask Spurs).

This is a CGI equivalent of plans on the back of a fag packet.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Flat packed its isnt. Genuine question 100 mill on one stand - crazy and dead money surely? Would it be better not to flatten the thing and build a whole new stadium? Ground share for 3 - 4 years if anyone will have you. And the corners need filling in it looks like even with the nice new stand a mish mash of scalextric and subbuteo accessories

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't be getting too excited if I were them. They haven't even submitted a planning application yet, there's no agreement with Sainsburys (in fact it sounds like this is the first they've heard of it), and CPO's are notoriously difficult to push through (just ask Spurs).

This is a CGI equivalent of plans on the back of a fag packet.

Oh absolutely, still I see it as the owners have 2 choices.

1 - Assume it'll happen and hold the club to ransom.
or
B - Knock on their door this morning, deeds in hand, and say '£2m and it's yours' ('oh and you best make that in cash... well... you know why')

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here