Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Space news [ISS, SpaceX etc]

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
They have worked out how to grow food in space (sort of). That's pretty fundamental to allowing access to them rest of the universe.
Not that that will ever happen ....but then a hundred years ago what we now have in terms of technology was unfathomable.
Having a beer in the pub yesterday and an oldish fella said I have just received a text from a relative in Canada and she only sent it seconds ago! Amazing.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

On December 29th, they're due to have the first launch of what they're calling the Falcon Heavy, which will be the most powerful rocket ever launched if successful - where the Falcon-9 runs with nine of their Merlin engines, this thing will have 27.

After launch, it splits into three sections, a central rocket and two boosters, and the plan is to land and re-use all three.

I have seen pictures of the Falcon Heavy, but didn't realise they where attempting to land and re-use all three. Will be amazing if they pull it off. Thanks for the heads up on the date, will make sure not to miss this one.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Elon Musk has said this morning on Twitter that the payload for the Falcon Heavy launch on 29th December will be his personal Tesla car, which will be set to play David Bowie's 'Space Oddity'.

Should the launch be successful, the payload container including the car will then be sent off in the direction of Mars, with the ultimate aim of it entering orbit around Mars when it eventually gets there.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Elon Musk has said this morning on Twitter that the payload for the Falcon Heavy launch on 29th December will be his personal Tesla car, which will be set to play David Bowie's 'Space Oddity'.

Should the launch be successful, the payload container including the car will then be sent off in the direction of Mars, with the ultimate aim of it entering orbit around Mars when it eventually gets there.

Have to admit I thought this was a windup, knew little of him. His wikipedia page is a must read, amazing how much has already achieved

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Have to admit I thought this was a windup, knew little of him. His wikipedia page is a must read, amazing how much has already achieved

I thought the same at first, but it seems not - it certainly is very much his style.

D

Deleted member 22389

I love his vision, an interesting character. I'm interested in his tunnel boring machine project.

D

Deleted member 22389

No just read it on his Wiki page :) You must read it. I am Microsoft guy mostly and pretty much every April 1st we'd get an email saying they were introducing SQLServer on Linux. Then the unthinkable happened. :smile:

You know when I first heard about SQL Server coming to Linux I thought that was a wind up. Microsoft have certainly changed their attitude towards Linux since Ballmer departed. I will read that page now.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You know when I first heard about SQL Server coming to Linux I thought that was a wind up. Microsoft have certainly changed their attitude towards Linux since Ballmer departed. I will read that page now.

They had to eventually I think with MySQL and Postgres for example being multi platform and MS's ever confusing licensing anyway, back to the game :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 22389

They had to eventually I think with MySQL and Postgres for example being multi platform and MS's ever confusing licensing anyway, back to the game :thumbsup:

Just you wait Microsoft will be switching to Linux one day, If that happens I will need to switch to TrueOS BSD or something like that lol. It's good Microsoft is showing Linux some love. Yes back to the game.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I love his vision, an interesting character. I'm interested in his tunnel boring machine project.

Musk is absolutely bloody amazing, solar panels that look like roof tiles., underground motorways, driver less cars and lorries, reusable space rockets, battery tech to store wind/solar power to use when no generation, etc. This one man will do the human race and our poor over exploited planet more good than all the Trumps, Tories, Royals and robbers that presently run the world - put together.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Falcon Heavy launch set for 18:30 GMT tomorrow.

Should be spectacular, one way or the other.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Someone set up a sound activated camera 900ft away from a Falcon 9 launch last week. The result is pretty spectacular.

eYXpOVJ.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Looking forward to this :)

For those who haven't seen it yet, the engine static test firing from a week or so ago.

Turn your speakers up!!

[yt]sNgByUWwFKU[/yt]
Wow. Gotta love Elon Musk. What a ****ing hero.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Musk is absolutely bloody amazing, solar panels that look like roof tiles., underground motorways, driver less cars and lorries, reusable space rockets, battery tech to store wind/solar power to use when no generation, etc. This one man will do the human race and our poor over exploited planet more good than all the Trumps, Tories, Royals and robbers that presently run the world - put together.
This.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here