Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “It was deafening at times”

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, not according to that other media powerhouse, the Newcastle Chronicle "From the very first minute until the last, the only real sound you could hear with the Amex was that of the travelling Toon Army, who were as vocal, jovial and supportive as ever - packing out an entire end of the ground".
:wozza:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This was when I think 'we' (all 19,000 of us) took ownership of the AMEX.

My haven't times changed.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Yep, looking forward to it at the end of the year. Incidentally, do you still stick us up in the heavens or where do you put the away fans now with the new ruling?

I'd highly recommend coming up for the weekend, you'll have a blast.

No, you're still up in the Gods. Segregating our lower tier isn't feasible at the minute so we were given dispensation by the FA/Premier League. Shame like because the atmosphere would be much, much better if the crowd could bounce off the travelling fans, as it stands most of their singing sails over our heads into the crisp Tyneside atmosphere.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Have to say that the north-east newspapers - based on Newcastle and Boro coverage over the past couple of seasons - seem particularly biased (a.k.a unprofessional) in the reporting of their clubs. Cheerleaders primarily. Naylor gets a lot of stick on here but I'd far rather have someone like him who offers a relatively neutral opinion when possible, even if it does get on some fans' wick.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Some little Palace fan tweeted yesterday something along the lines of "Have loads of Brighton fans come dressed as blue seats". One of the poorest attempts at trolling I've seen, even for one of them.

Or maybe he really was that stupid, as the tweet was posted about thirty seconds before half time....

Also mocked the atmosphere. In contrast to Selhurst, where the atmosphere is no doubt out of this world currently :lol:

i wonder how friggin loud we would be if we also used the microphone in front of our crowd, as supposedly Palace do

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Away days are great if you've never been there before, it's a cathedral of a stadium and/or the place is a good night out. That's why I Championship so much fun.

Swansea ticks none of those for me. Identikit plastic stadium, parochial town filled with wannabe hardmen and horrific lasses, hours away from civilisation on the train. (It's quicker, and takes fewer trains to get from Newcastle to Paris than it does to get to Swansea.)

Same criticisms for Burnley, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and so on.

We might be miles away from everyone, but by Christ we've an impressive stadium and a brilliant night out.

St James Park is the loudest stadium I've ever been to, although that was before they rebuilt and took the roof line higher. And Newcastle is a city that should be on absolutely everyone's bucket list.

Totally agree about Swansea and Burnley. The gene pool seems very shallow in Burnley.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
St James Park is the loudest stadium I've ever been to, although that was before they rebuilt and took the roof line higher. And Newcastle is a city that should be on absolutely everyone's bucket list.

Totally agree about Swansea and Burnley. The gene pool seems very shallow in Burnley.

I went to Newcastle for the first time last season. Result (and performance) aside, I loved it. OK, the away fans' location approximately 4000ft above sea level isn't the best, but as a city, it's a great match day experience. A proper football town. Most clubs these days either play in new stadia located on the edge of town (like us) or in the middle of industrial estates or retail parks, or are in bigger cities with more than one team and thus divided loyalties. When I got to Newcastle last season I was really struck by the city centre buzz surrounding the game. The ground towers over the city like a great cathedral, and because it's pretty central (unlike, say, Anfield, or Old Trafford), there are football fans wandering around everywhere in their shirts. And there are loads of great pubs nearby. I can't think of another place I've been to that has that sort of match day buzz around. If I can, I'll definitely go back this season (and hopefully not drive this time).

Can't quite agree on the atmosphere front inside the stadium- though perhaps given The Fish's post about not being able to hear away fans due to their position, perhaps the same is true in reverse: that you can't hear the Gallowgate end from up there.

Either way, if you've not been previously: go. It ticks a lot of match day experience boxes.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Pretty impressive given the distance and the time. Sky have been shocking to us this season, away trips to yourselves, Swansea and Southampton moved to Sundays, just for tv audiences.

Was roughly 50:50 Newcastle and Brighton fans at Newhaven Town station - certainly something I've never seen before.

el punal

I went to Newcastle for the first time last season. Result (and performance) aside, I loved it. OK, the away fans' location approximately 4000ft above sea level isn't the best, but as a city, it's a great match day experience. A proper football town. Most clubs these days either play in new stadia located on the edge of town (like us) or in the middle of industrial estates or retail parks, or are in bigger cities with more than one team and thus divided loyalties. When I got to Newcastle last season I was really struck by the city centre buzz surrounding the game. The ground towers over the city like a great cathedral, and because it's pretty central (unlike, say, Anfield, or Old Trafford), there are football fans wandering around everywhere in their shirts. And there are loads of great pubs nearby. I can't think of another place I've been to that has that sort of match day buzz around. If I can, I'll definitely go back this season (and hopefully not drive this time).

Can't quite agree on the atmosphere front inside the stadium- though perhaps given The Fish's post about not being able to hear away fans due to their position, perhaps the same is true in reverse: that you can't hear the Gallowgate end from up there.

Either way, if you've not been previously: go. It ticks a lot of match day experience boxes.

I too went to Newcastle last season - warm and sunny to boot! I agree with everything you've said and found the Geordie fans very friendly before and after the game. A case in point - after the game I went to the Mile Castle (a huge 'Spoons pub near the station). At the the time I was still wearing my Albion shirt. At the entrance there were about ten bouncers (don't forget it was Saturday night on the Toon!). After a bit of friendly banter they let me in and was immediately surrounded by Geordie fans wishing me and the Albion well, basically stating,even that early in the season, that they wanted US to be promoted with themselves. A wish come true!
Why? They all love Chris Hughton and have not forgotten his contribution in getting Newcastle promoted or the manner of his departure. To a man they all hate Mike Ashley.

So,yes, apart from the result, probably my best away day (weekend!) experience of all. If you get the chance, do it.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Been to Newcastle twice now
When we played Sunderland a few years back and when we played Middlesboro in a league cup game on a Wednesday
We got back into town after the Boro game and walked into a town centre pub and when they realised we were Albion fans they couldn't have been more hospitable to us, even had a buy one pint get one pint free hour !!!
Cracking place and can't wait to get up there for the away game (As long as I can get a ticket !!)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Was roughly 50:50 Newcastle and Brighton fans at Newhaven Town station - certainly something I've never seen before.

One of my neighbours is a Toon fan.

On Sunday, we had a carvery at the Fox on the Downs, and a Geordie voice called out to me as we were leaving, 'You're going to get smashed today, pet'.
I wish I knew if he was a local!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know six people who support Newcastle - only two of them are from there. The other four are all southerners. The one kid at school who supported Newcastle was a Brightonian. Fair play though: you can't accuse them of being glory hunters

Agreed.

Accepting a lot of the widespread fans are genuine Geordie diaspora, as [MENTION=35039]The Fish[/MENTION] suggests, they've also long been a fairly 'cool' team to follow (and NOT as per Liverpool / United, GLORY hunting as such).

Personally I know four Toon fans, one from Gateshead, and one from Seaton Delaval, but the other two from Sussex and county Kilkenny!

All stems from the flair signings of Mirandinha and Solano I reckon!

The location of a stadium can never be underated,would have loved the amex to have been built on the Brighton station site,the city would have have made millions over the years with people spending in restuarants/bars/cafes through the city.The transport links would have been superb and the stadium would have crowned the city. Shame the land cost prevented this site as the best option. We do have a lovely stadium alas not in a great location but we would have bitten the hand off for Falmer during the dark days although imagine the station site stadium and the waterslide straight onto the concourse,well we can only dream:moo:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here