Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How lovely

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We went one step away from that, asking not for wedding presents but contributions to our honeymoon.
TBH I wasn't particularly comfortable just asking for money, but in all honesty there wasn't much else we could do.

In fairness we did provide food and a completely free bar for our wedding, which was messy in the extreme.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This is exactly what happens at Spanish weddings but there's not a fixed amount. Some give a lot, others a bit less depending on what they can afford.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At first I thought 'tight', then the more I thought about it, I thought, why not?

Weddings are ridiculously expensive for young people and many of the guests would be forking out costs to stay in hotels, so why not put them all under one roof.

It could be a fun experience for them. Good luck to them.

This. Seems like a good idea. I've been to wedding where you have to pay for the accommodation, so yeah – I'd be happy to pay for a weekend away.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If you can't afford your dream wedding, either have a smaller wedding or save up for what you want.

Most weddings these days seem less about two people in love and more an excuse to show off.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Actually a fair price but morons like this and people in general spend far too much money on getting married. More money than sense. I would not marry a bird that insisted on spending tens of thousands on a wedding, even if I wasn't the one paying. Priorities all wrong.

I have a feeling that you're going to remain single if you continue to use the word 'bird' :p

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
who's paying for the sniff....???..... looks like a good idea to me , 60 mates at a private venue .....what could possibly go wrong ...??

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well I'd be uncomfortable with it. Pricing out your friends and family because they can't afford it seems a bit off if you ask me.

Why not just wait and get married when you can afford it? If housing takes a priority, just don't get married until after you've done that.

Another way of looking at it is that you're ensuring that you'll only have people at your wedding who really want to be there.

I wonder if I could use this idea and backdate it 5 years.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Can't understand those who say,' we can't afford to get married'.
A Marriage Licence costs little. It is the fancy party that costs the dosh!

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If you're going to ask your friends for money, I can think of better ways to spend it. Like on a house deposit.

But then again, I'm divorced....

But under this model, with a house deposit the two of them would end up with 60 people living with them for life.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
maybe my interpretation of your comment - previous had said about not spending money and you stated he might have trouble finding a woman. If my interpretation was wrong then sorry.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm. I got married three weeks ago, and, whilst we've not actually sat down and worked out what we spent on it all, it's certainly not a cheap experience. Ours was nowhere near as expensive as some I've been to, but we took the view that we were only going to do this once (hopefully...), and we didn't want to be regretting not doing something, so it cost what it cost. Before we organised it, I looked up potential costs: seems like the average UK wedding in 2014 cost £24,000 :ohmy:

Pretty sure we didn't get too close to that amount, but nonetheless, it wasn't cheap. Put the word "wedding" in front of a booking for anything and they double the price.

At the end of the day, if their guests have agreed to pay for the do, then so be it. If they didn't like it, presumably they wouldn't bother?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Don't think there's anything wrong with asking for a contribution if it is genuinely a fun weekend away, but £150 seems steep and some of their friends presumably wouldn't be able to afford it. Might be OK if they asked for £50 or something similar...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here