Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beer ques and general

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I was in that queue and felt for that young girl working in there. It was stiflingly hot and she just could not cope. She had no idea where her oppo had been summoned too and was regularly getting visits from some guy in a suit with a radio who was slowing her down even more. Everyone who got served within that 20 minutes thanked her for her efforts and said she was doing a sterling job under the most difficult of conditions. Sweat was pouring off the poor lass.
The 'having beers pre-poured' rant came out by just about everyone.

Good work, we should all be as respectful

Last edited:

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
I work in the middle kiosk of WSU, and my team said they didn't get much aggro from who was there, which considering the circumstances satisfied me.

My role is generally to supervise the chef, pourers and cashiers and to correct anything that might go wrong, especially with new and perhaps untrained staff as would happen at the start of the season. As the most experienced person in the stand, I didn't have a chef and had three tills unstaffed. I'm having to work a till, until a barrel runs empty and I'm forced to leave my queue of 10 to run round to the cellar and change it. I spent most of the game and half time period assembling burgers and ensuring there were pies to sell. I'm having to be three people, if I was getting three paychecks for it I wouldn't mind!

When people don't show up for work it makes things tougher for the people who are there.

I work in the middle kiosk of WSU, and my team said they didn't get much aggro from who was there, which considering the circumstances satisfied me.

My role is generally to supervise the chef, pourers and cashiers and to correct anything that might go wrong, especially with new and perhaps untrained staff as would happen at the start of the season. As the most experienced person in the stand, I didn't have a chef and had three tills unstaffed. I'm having to work a till, until a barrel runs empty and I'm forced to leave my queue of 10 to run round to the cellar and change it. I spent most of the game and half time period assembling burgers and ensuring there were pies to sell. I'm having to be three people, if I was getting three paychecks for it I wouldn't mind!

When people don't show up for work it makes things tougher for the people who are there.

Some of us appreciate it's difficult. The lager in the East Lower was warm and orrible, but that wasn't my reason for being there, so I held my nose, necked it in one and got back to cheering the lads

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

yes I understand your situation however the club asked fans to get in early and many of my friends didint bother queuing also the Harveys bar was missing and the Pie and pint girl was on her own.
Next game I exspect some of the guys to go to the swan pub. I understand the students are not back but it's important to give a good service. Thank you fir your effort.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
COACH TRAVEL
After years of using P&R Lewes Road and finding it full 2 hours before KO I've gone over to Seagulls Travel. £10 per game compared to £5 car costs. Arrived over an hour before KO and found the whole trip in and out so much less stressful than before. Leaving was chaos with so many coaches but sitting in my seat looking at the huge P&R queues it was money well spent.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In the ESU outlet towards the south end there was a guy telling everyone that ordered Harvey's that they only had the stout and was that ok? He was quite obviously wrong as you could see just from looking at it that it was the regular bitter but he wouldn't have it. Quite obviously he must be a lager drinker himself and has never seen stout before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, with the notable exception of Guinness, how often does anybody see stout these days! A lot of pubs don't sell any others.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
WSU queues for me were very good before and after the game, used the booth nearest south stand on 2 occasions.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
Given up on WSU bar for a long time, l get well oiled in the pubs near the station, less queues at the bars and less stress.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
WSU had drinks and pie before the game, and drinks at half time and again after the match. As side from the fact that I am probably a WSU piss head we found the service was good and the queues not to bad at all. So well done to the staff for dealing with us demanding "piss heads"! However, I have to say did miss the Kronenberg though!

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
The Harvey's stout was actually quite nice. I'm not the biggest fan of Harvey's but I found it quite decent. Since the Amex has opened the speed of service has always been slow until the students are back.

weve tried the Harveys stout and we all agreed that it wasnt nice !
is Guinness now a "thing of the past" now ??

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We've tried the Harveys stout and we all agreed that it wasn't nice!
Is Guinness a "thing of the past" now ??

Whilst they've spent all their effort on marketing and globalising the brand, they've kind of missed the craft beer wave. I assume they are pleased having got hop house 13 into the stadium, maybe at the expense of their stout?

If you like a stronger Stout, try this from Harvey's:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/harveys-imperial-extra-double-stout/6415/

You won't find it at the Amex and will probably have to order it if you're not passing through Lewes but good things come to those who wait. It's probably better than anything Guinness will ever brew.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Thanks for that , will give it a try one day ,
but my point was that after being denied being able to buy guinness in the ESL right up until last season , it has now been replaced by what me and my guinness loving buddies consider an inferior product ,
while im sure that some may actually prefer Harveys own brand of stout , im equally sure that the majority dont !

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My experience wasn't too bad. Queued at the centre kiosk in WSU at about 5pm and although there were big queues they moved quite quickly. Likewise at the end of the match WSL kiosk nearest the north stand was heaving but I didn't have to wait too long for a beer. It's been much worse.

The biggest discomfort was the heat in the WSU concourse.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My experience wasn't too bad. Queued at the centre kiosk in WSU at about 5pm and although there were big queues they moved quite quickly. Likewise at the end of the match WSL kiosk nearest the north stand was heaving but I didn't have to wait too long for a beer. It's been much worse.

The biggest discomfort was the heat in the WSU concourse.

Stand anywhere near those windows and you burn up. Is there any type of air conditioning in there because if not there is absolutely no air flow with all the windows- even the top ones unable to open. Trouble is I sometimes just go to my seat to cool down and that's about £8.50 they lose.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I walked into the NS at about 16.15 walked up to a till (no que!) purchased three pints without any problems, sorry can't moan

similar, I only had 1 pint though. I thought the beer queues before and after were better usual and the staff seemed well organised

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I should've caveated my post. The mitre is the only place where I do enjoy Harvey's usually a pint of the Old. They seem to actually keep their beer really well in there. The mitre is a dying breed of pub in Brighton but still an essential element of the beer scene we have.
Much like some of the kneipe in Berlin.
It's one of the few pubs in Brighton I've had to stop going to due to bad pints tbh.

Back to the thread, service in the main kiosks in the WSU was surprisingly quick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here