Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the voting age be raised?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
What about all the pensioners who don't have an independent thought in their head and believe everything they read in the Daily Mail? There are generalisations on both sides. The balance has been redressed at last. Your argument about 18 year olds voting used to be applied to women. Before that, to working class men. Before that, to everyone who didn't live in a rotten borough and bribe their local toff. Don't be silly.
So proud of the People's Republic of Brighton & Hove - and of our wonderful local candidate in East Worthing & Shoreham, Sophie Cook, who gained 11000 votes and made us a marginal!!
And I hope those people on here who went on about Corbyn's links with Republican terrorists are as angry about the now RULING PARTY DUP's links with Loyalist ones...
Very happy and waiting with bated breath for the fixture list so i can organise next season's gigs :)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What about all the pensioners who don't have an independent thought in their head and believe everything they read in the Daily Mail? There are generalisations on both sides. The balance has been redressed at last. Your argument about 18 year olds voting used to be applied to women. Before that, to working class men. Before that, to everyone who didn't live in a rotten borough and bribe their local toff. Don't be silly.
So proud of the People's Republic of Brighton & Hove - and of our wonderful local candidate in East Worthing & Shoreham, Sophie Cook, who gained 11000 votes and made us a marginal!!
And I hope those people on here who went on about Corbyn's links with Republican terrorists are as angry about the now RULING PARTY DUP's links with Loyalist ones...
Very happy and waiting with bated breath for the fixture list so i can organise next season's gigs :)

I'm sure they won't comment on the DUP as it won't be mentioned in the Mail or the Sun so they won't be aware of it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?
Of course they don't have life experience, but they're old enough to fight and die for a country so they deserve the right to vote. 16 year olds on the other hand, no.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
No, absolutely not. At 18 I was more than capable of formulating my own opinions, and assume the same goes for the majority of my peers. That said, my first ever vote was on the issue of whether or not my area of Wales should be wet or dry on a Sunday (and no, I'm not talking about the weather).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One way to at least get voters to do some research would be to just print the candidates name on the ballot paper not the party they represent . It would coax people into watching the news or at least googling the party to find out who and what they are voting for if they knew that when they reached the polling station there would just be a row of names. Would mean not only would a voter have to look their candidate up, they'd have to remember the name on the day.

As an idea it has flaws but could work?

Last edited:

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Think it's a good thing that the young are engaging with politics. Keeps politicians honest and maybe means we get an actual choice of government rather than just a change on management structure.

Plus age is no barrier to stupidity. I was taken in by Blair in 1997 at which time I was well into my thirties.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What about all the pensioners who don't have an independent thought in their head and believe everything they read in the Daily Mail? )

What about them?
Pensioner readers of the Daily Mail dont number that many in reality.
If you want to know why your ideals failed yet again to convince the british public into voting you into power look no further than your own ideals and your own inadequacies......Blaming the Daily Mail time after time after time after time for how shit you are is quite funny though.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

Sounds harsh..................but fair.

Its unfortunate that many around that age and many more who are generally uninformed will vote based on rhetoric, slogans or party propaganda, or based on personality over substance, they will believe empty promises and vote accordingly.

There are many on here who may have a different more hard left political view to me, but thats a perfectly acceptable and principled position for those that argue for their position and understand it.

I wonder what % of any voters truly know the history of various parties, what they actually stand for or whether they can deliver what they actually promise.

I'm guessing nearly every individual would in life believe in Labour type social justice policies but those on the left disregard or ignore the fact the country simply cannot afford them, high debt and deficit means pain at some point and interest payments (which are higher than the education budget) is a road to nowhere. I also guess most people actually manage their own lives more like a fiscal conservative. Whilst some will struggle with maxed out credit cards and loans, most if they earn 1000-2000 per month live within those means and if they use the credit card a bit have a plan to pay it back, they dont buy everything they wish for, stacking up huge problems in the future that will require painful sacrifices or bankruptcy. Running down your finances today as in running down the economy may bring temporary highs but it is not any platform for sustained purchasing of anything.

If only the Lib Dems weren't so pro Europe, they have an excellent balance of social justice and fiscal competence. Wheras Labour have social justice and fiscal incompetence, and the Tories fiscal competence and lack true social justice. Unfortunately the economy, which affects everyone and everything must always come first. If it doesnt everyone pays with cuts. Everyone should understand this, nothing is for free.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Didn't realise Loughton got run so close,He knocked My door a few years back whilst I was living in Southwick,He won't again,vile little turd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Let's ban thick people voting too as they don't have enough mental capacity to understand the issues.

Sounds harsh........ But fair

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Probably fairer that allowing 18yrs to go - but does come across as a bit Orwellian

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Voting should be restricted to season ticket holders of Premier League clubs (except Crystal Palace)!

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009

Wow, I never thought I'd hear East Worthing and Shoreham and marginal in the same sentence during my lifetime. We managed to oust a real-life tory boy in Cardiff North, turning a 2k deficit into a 4k majority. Now all I need to hear in the autumn election is East Worthing and Shoreham- Labour gain, although you may need to pass me the smelling salts.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
What about them?
Pensioner readers of the Daily Mail dont number that many in reality.
If you want to know why your ideals failed yet again to convince the british public into voting you into power look no further than your own ideals and your own inadequacies......Blaming the Daily Mail time after time after time after time for how shit you are is quite funny though.

Well that hit a nerve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here