Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Reading Supporters shouldn't snear

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
It's a club that's spent above its means, moved to a shiny new stadium, taken on a fair few new plastic fans

The point where I lost interest

theroyal

May 11, 2014
It's a club that's spent above its means, moved to a shiny new stadium, taken on a fair few new plastic fans

The point where I lost interest

Considering a Reading fan wrote that sentence, I'm a bit puzzled. We haven't spent above our means, except for perhaps wages on Pogrebnyak during the Russian charlatan's reign. Historically, our most successful periods have been with teams built over time for little cost. Our three record signings (Greg Halford, Emerse Fae, and Matej Vydra £2.5m) were all abject failures with us.

You guys haven't spent that historically much either, right?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'll take two Championship titles, an 8th placed Premier League finish, 2 FA Cup Semi Finals, and a league points record over a higher year-on-year average attendance gate anyday ;-)

#tinpot

(only gentle banter)

And where did I mention anything on the pitch? In terms of club size, support (home and :lol: away :lol:) we're incomparible. The 25 mil thing will give fans who don't know much about us the perfect chance to make out we've bought promotion, when in reality our budget is about middle of the league. We signed one player for £3mil this summer I believe - not one signing over an initial £3mil or so outlay in that squad. 3 of the back 5 were free and that's the best defence in England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll take two Championship titles, an 8th placed Premier League finish, 2 FA Cup Semi Finals, and a league points record over a higher year-on-year average attendance gate anyday ;-)
I won't.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The article is baseless. The bloke has come up with an idea for an article, but done no research into anything and simply written what he knows about the history of his own club and said that Brighton are the same. We are not. The Reading story is one of a small club that were bought by someone with a large ego, named the ground after himself and bathed in the reflected glory of the team's success. There was no long decline, no struggle to survive, no villain seemingly intent on the destruction of the club, or county rising as one to fight back, no fight to return home, no long campaign for a permanent home, no rise from the ashes thanks to a lifelong fan who was willing to spend his money to ensure that it never happened again.

Should Brighton make it to the Premier League it will seem, even to a lot of neutrals, like the end of a Hollywood sports movie. When Reading made it, it was no different from when Cardiff made it, or from when Stoke made it, or Palace, or Burnley. The parallels are with clubs that went to the brink, clubs like Swansea and Bournemouth, not with Reading, whose story, like the functional football of the team that won 106 points, is fairly prosaic and uninspiring.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION], wiggy didn't name the ground after himself - others insisted on doing it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Considering a Reading fan wrote that sentence, I'm a bit puzzled. We haven't spent above our means, except for perhaps wages on Pogrebnyak during the Russian charlatan's reign. Historically, our most successful periods have been with teams built over time for little cost. Our three record signings (Greg Halford, Emerse Fae, and Matej Vydra £2.5m) were all abject failures with us.

You guys haven't spent that historically much either, right?

Our record signing is £4 million on Shane Duffy last summer. Before that, it was Craig Mackail-Miss £2.5 million 5 years ago.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

#tinpot

(only gentle banter)

I'd rather have 3 League titles, soon to be 4, plus, I'd rather be where we are now, than where you are. Effectively 9 points behind 2nd place doesn't give you loads of hope I assume?

Plus, it's always nice to have Norwood in our squad to change things around...

Last edited:

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I'd rather have 3 League titles, soon to be 4, plus, I'd rather be where we are now, than where you are. Effectively 9 points behind 2nd place doesn't give you loads of hope I assume?

Plus, it's always nice to have Norwood in our squad to change things around...

Well if you're counting titles from all leagues, we have 6 league titles :p

You and Newcastle will run away with the top two, I commend you guys for going very well in the league again after last year, and from the outside I think you're strong enough to go the distance this time. I'm relaxed about our season, there is no pressure on us - Stam even said near the start of the campaign that promotion should be forgotten about and to expect a mid-table finish, so I'm pretty stunned to be (deservedly) 3rd at Christmas. Anything that happens is a bonus, and if we fall away (which many are expecting), we fall away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here