Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loan players - how many allowed?

Stupid question, but don't know the answer (and please no stupid answers).

It is pretty obvious that Brighton cannot afford to buy many - if any - players, so it looks like we have to get more on loan if we are serious about promotion. Is there a maximum amount of players you can get on loan within the season?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Over the course of the season you can have 8 loans in total.

You can have 4 loans at any one time.

Although I wouldn't be suprised if someone tell me I've got it all wrong! :lolol:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i thought it was 2 ??? so we can get 3 more then !

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
its a max of 2 from the same club isnt it???? but 8 across the season i thought! does anyone know the answer to this question!!!!!??

Last edited:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
just found out - 2 at a time , but 4 over the season!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are two types of loan - "short-term" and "long-term".

A short-term loan is for a period between 28 and 93 days, including the start date and the finishing date. (All loans are for a specific number of days, and technically there is no such thing as "a month's loan".) The player cannot be recalled by his original club during the first 28 days, but can be afterwards regardless of the original period of the loan. A club can have up to eight players on short-term loan during the season, but no more than four at any one time.

Short-term loans which subsequently become permanent transfers do not count to the limit of eight such loans during a season.

A club is allowed to sign the same player on short-term loan more than once during a season. However, the total number of days on loan cannot exceed 93. Furthermore, a club can extend the length of a short-term loan as long as the total length is not more than 93 days.

A long-term loan can only apply to a player aged under 23 on the 30th June before the start of the season (so for 2003/04, a player on long-term loan has to have been born on or after 1st July, 1980). The loan must commence betwen 1st July and 31st December, and must run to the end of the season. A player on a long-term loan cannot be recalled by his original club unless he is permanently transferred to another club. A club can have up to four players on long-term loan during the season.

No club can send out more than six players on long-term loans during a season.

A club can take a maximum of four loan players (short-term and long-term combined) from any one club during a season.

A club is able to name a maximum of five loan players (short-term and long-term combined) in the 16 players listed on the team sheet for a game.

Under extreme circumstances, a club is allowed to take a goalkeeper on loan even if it infringes some of the regulations listed here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here