Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Topman withdraws shirt amid Hillsborough anger

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This ones a bit of an oddity.
Having just heard bits of the story, on the news, I expected to roll my eyes in a 'typical scousers' style, but blimey it is all a bit Liverpool FC.

Retailer Topman has withdrawn a shirt after criticism it could be seen referring to the Hillsborough disaster.

The red shirt with a large number 96 is being seen by some Liverpool fans as a reference to the club's kit and number of victims killed in the 1989 disaster.

Louise Brookes, whose brother Andrew died in the tragedy, and MP for Wirral South Alison McGovern are among those calling for it to be removed from sale.

Topman apologised "unreservedly" saying it was based on a Bob Marley track.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43424172

3027-Topman-96-shirt-sparks-Hillsborough-anger.jpg

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Most strange, apparently it's to do with Bob Marley, but the fact it is red and when I first saw it I thought oh no.
Surely Top Man or anyone else ( except the Manchester United club shop) would sell it if there was any inkling that it is to do with Hillsborough.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shall we retire the number 96 to avoid future embarrassment?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It also has the word "karma" in large letters down one of the sleeves.

I have no idea what goes through some peoples heads. How can anyone NOT link that shirt directly with the Hillsborough disaster ? Yet someone saw fit to design it, someone saw fit to put it into production, and to sell it in stores across the country. Astonishing.

Whats next, a jumper with a Grenfell montage on it ?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
If it really refers to a Bob Marley song, why would the year of release be the biggest feature?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Apart from looking like something that came from Ford market, very odd thing to have done. Someone has been trolling and it seems to have missed all 'checks'

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Selling well in Salford and Essex apparently.

And the hub of the Manchester United fan club, Devon.
Seriously,I wonder if any Man U fans were quick enough to buy one because at first sight I clearly thought it was to do with Hillsborough, it's even red & white, if it is to do with Marley I would have thought it would have been Rastafarian colours.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
And the hub of the Manchester United fan club, Devon.
Seriously,I wonder if any Man U fans were quick enough to buy one because at first sight I clearly thought it was to do with Hillsborough, it's even red & white, if it is to do with Marley I would have thought it would have been Rastafarian colours.

How is that more appropriate than red, why would rasta colours be in trend, too many other factors.

Why couldnt this just be a coincedence, no harm done, it has been removed from shelves. unless it was pointed out like it has been, if i saw that in a shop I wouldnt give it a second thought.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apart from looking like something that came from Ford market, very odd thing to have done. Someone has been trolling and it seems to have missed all 'checks'
Hey! I've got some useful stuff from Ford market! Complaints about the poxy shirt all fully justified - references and relevance to the 96 Hillsborough all too obvious; the tenuous reference to some Bob Marley song had to be explained to me, and I still don't give it much credence.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
How is that more appropriate than red, why would rasta colours be in trend, too many other factors.

Why couldnt this just be a coincedence, no harm done, it has been removed from shelves. unless it was pointed out like it has been, if i saw that in a shop I wouldnt give it a second thought.

Because when you go to Jamaica and Bob Marley memorabilia is everywhere it is mostly on a background of red, green and yellow.
Never saw anything red, it just made me think why the shirt is red and white which are of course Liverpools colours and with the rest of the writing made it even more about Hillsborough.
That's all, just a thought.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Have topman got a history of producing tops with the lyrics to obscure songs along with the date of their rerelease in incongruous colours with the word 'karma' thrown in for good measure?
If so, I don't see what the fuss is all about.
If not, then at least one person is a ****.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Because when you go to Jamaica and Bob Marley memorabilia is everywhere it is mostly on a background of red, green and yellow.
Never saw anything red, it just made me think why the shirt is red and white which are of course Liverpools colours and with the rest of the writing made it even more about Hillsborough.
That's all, just a thought.

I understand that, but Red, Green and Yellow isnt the trend is it. They arent trying to make a cheap tacky rasta top. cultural appropriation is a big thing in Fashion, I would imagine this was more at the forefront of their mind than it being connected to Liverpool fans.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Very strange given that the Bob Marley single was 'What goes around comes around' but the words on the shirt are 'What goes around comes back around' so I am struggling with the marketing concept that it is referencing a Bob Marley single given the different wording.

What has the white rose got to do with the Bob Marley single.

Also given the lyrics were recorded in 1967 if there was a need to reference a number why wasn't 67 used.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Very strange given that the Bob Marley single was 'What goes around comes around' but the words on the shirt are 'What goes around comes back around' so I am struggling with the marketing concept that it is referencing a Bob Marley single given the different wording.

What has the white rose got to do with the Bob Marley single.

Also given the lyrics were recorded in 1967 if there was a need to reference a number why wasn't 67 used.

Good point especially the white rose (of Yorkshire?) . I am not one for conspiricies but it seems a very odd design/coincidental to do by accident

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The white rose is also a symbol of Yorkshire. So someone has seen fit to cobble together a series of oblique messages/symbols alluding to Hillsborough, and make it into a tacky shirt. This Bob Marley crap is just some mealy-mouthed way of trying to weasel out of it, to dodge the flak.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here