Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cardiff match REPORT

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
In an unprecedented timely manner, I've done a report already.

Read it here, should you chose... http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?639-Albion-1-0-Cardiff-24.01.2017

With no obvious striking options in reserve to change the game, Chris Hughton sent on Ollie Norwood in place of Beram Kayal, in a swap that was to bear almost immediate fruit. A quick pass round the corner from the sub fed Hemed outside the box. The Albion number 10 spun past Bamba in a flash and drilled an exocet past / through McGregor before he knew it. Relief all round – that the Albion led – also that we might now see 20 minutes of football before we trooped off to the bus queues. Terrific turn. Terrific strike. Lovely stuff.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nice one again, love these.

"Big Shane Duffy next to go close, glancing Knockaert’s free kick wide of an open goal after McGregor had come for the ball and failed to get there. Kudos to the Amex crowd tonight – as a frustrating evening dragged on, they stayed fully behind their team – not particularly raucous but unceasingly supportive – our collective anxiety kept within"

This bit struck a chord with me.....as this season has gone on, the anxiety levels we all get around not getting a result seem to be dropping. We've somehow found a way of winning this season so many times now I (and those who sit nearby based on half time chatter etc) are now becoming increasingly confident that we will usually conjure something up. Fulham (twice), Birmingham, WedsLOL, Cardiff.......we just keep finding a solution whatever the circumstances. Remarkable really and I think that confidence is spreading to the stands.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Nice one again, love these.

"Big Shane Duffy next to go close, glancing Knockaert’s free kick wide of an open goal after McGregor had come for the ball and failed to get there. Kudos to the Amex crowd tonight – as a frustrating evening dragged on, they stayed fully behind their team – not particularly raucous but unceasingly supportive – our collective anxiety kept within"

This bit struck a chord with me.....as this season has gone on, the anxiety levels we all get around not getting a result seem to be dropping. We've somehow found a way of winning this season so many times now I (and those who sit nearby based on half time chatter etc) are now becoming increasingly confident that we will usually conjure something up. Fulham (twice), Birmingham, WedsLOL, Cardiff.......we just keep finding a solution whatever the circumstances. Remarkable really and I think that confidence is spreading to the stands.

Its that, and hopefully a broader appreciation of what's being achieved. Hopefully when they DO have a bad day, we all stay with them (as 'we' did at Preston, I was pleased to hear)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I think it's also that the team have been consistently superb for a season and a half now. As fans, there's not a lot we can do to contribute, but they've made us all so proud and excited in the last eighteen months that many of us feel we owe it to them to maintain our unqualified backing even when things are looking tough. It's great to see.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Superb as usual

Love the tweet from the Geordie, I'm taking it as a complement, after all nobody was supposed to get close to Newcastle this season.
Nobody seems to have told Hughton and co.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Its that, and hopefully a broader appreciation of what's being achieved. Hopefully when they DO have a bad day, we all stay with them (as 'we' did at Preston, I was pleased to hear)

Yes - that's right. Even at two down I didn't hear a single moan or sounds of frustration. Mainly the odd comment along the lines of 'can't win them all' more than anything else. It just felt as though it didn't really matter and that we'd carry on marching along in the next match. Which of course we did.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Excellent. For once I was sober, taking notes and child free and we seem to have come to almost exactly the same conclusions.

https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2017/01/25/cardiff-city-at-home-201617-back-to-earth/

It's a good one to get out of the way IMO. A banana skin not slipped on, so to speak.

Was Stroud actually the ref in the end? On the long commuter train ride to Lewes I noted in my phone "Keith Stroud refs again". The BBC report has the ref as Chris Kavanagh. I wouldn't recognise either if they shopped in the same Tesco as me in their ref kit, yet it seemed an un-Stroud like performance. Dunno.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Another great report Exile, always makes my day to see one of these posted on here

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Excellent. For once I was sober, taking notes and child free and we seem to have come to almost exactly the same conclusions.

https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2017/01/25/cardiff-city-at-home-201617-back-to-earth/

It's a good one to get out of the way IMO. A banana skin not slipped on, so to speak.

Was Stroud actually the ref in the end? On the long commuter train ride to Lewes I noted in my phone "Keith Stroud refs again". The BBC report has the ref as Chris Kavanagh. I wouldn't recognise either if they shopped in the same Tesco as me in their ref kit, yet it seemed an un-Stroud like performance. Dunno.

Yes, it was Stroud; Kavanagh was the original appointment but withdrew (due to illness?) and he was replaced by Stroud.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, it was Stroud; Kavanagh was the original appointment but withdrew (due to illness?) and he was replaced by Stroud.

Cheers. I was quite sure he'd been appointed but Kavanah was given as the ref in the official match day magazine as well, which is obviously where the beeb got it from. I've quite liked Stroud before. Not so much last night.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Cheers. I was quite sure he'd been appointed but Kavanah was given as the ref in the official match day magazine as well, which is obviously where the beeb got it from. I've quite liked Stroud before. Not so much last night.

Stroud barely got a significant call wrong all match, and yet STILL managed to be dreadful. His 'management' of the game, and of the players, was appalling.

The combination of Warnock's (understandable) spoiling tactics and Stroud's disinclination to put his foot down, led to a pretty poor spectacle for the paying public.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Stroud barely got a significant call wrong all match, and yet STILL managed to be dreadful. His 'management' of the game, and of the players, was appalling.

The combination of Warnock's (understandable) spoiling tactics and Stroud's disinclination to put his foot down, led to a pretty poor spectacle for the paying public.

Nicely put..

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Actually, I just remembered one AMAZING bad call from the officials. Nothing massive - just a throw in, given the wrong way - but it was so obvious it was frankly astonishing. West touchline, second half, just in front of the away bench. Pocognoli tried to launch a clearance, and it fair smashed off a Cardiff player stood 8 or 9 yards away, and flew off into the stands. Given Cardiff's way. Incredible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here