Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all fitness experts!! Fatty needs advice!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The 5:2 diet limits you to 600 calories a day for two non-consecutive days a week, otherwise you just eat normally.

Got an example of how you would do a 600 calories day? I'm a big fan of Yorkshire Provender soup, and its pretty filling, but even that weighs in at a couple of hundred calories a pack. Presumably soups and stews feature heavily, but what about, say, breakfast? And snacks? And I'm thinking a beer is probably completely out of the question on 600 calorie days? Could Google it, but would rather hear an NSCer's true life experience.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
If changed my rating habits and dropped a stone in 45 days. I cut out as much processed food as possible (trying to be paleo). It's tough to begin with - no cheese, milk, bread, pasta. But you get there. Never been or felt better. Just struggling to get my 8 hours of sleep a day.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Stupid. Just weigh yourself every morning, at least then its consistent and you can see results accurately. Why would you want to be a low weight just for your weigh in, surely long term goals are what your after. If you want to lose weight count your calories using the myfitnesspal app and try and eat a few hundred calories below your goal. If your still not losing weight lower your calories again. Try and exercise as much as you can, half an hour 3 times a week if you want. The main thing is to be on a calorific deficit. People may argue with this post, but sure I'm only trying to lend a hand. Keep up the good work.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Stupid. Just weigh yourself every morning, at least then its consistent and you can see results accurately. Why would you want to be a low weight just for your weigh in, surely long term goals are what your after.

If you're after long term goals why would you weigh yourself every morning? Once a week would appear to be the accepted wisdom.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
If you're after long term goals why would you weigh yourself every morning? Once a week would appear to be the accepted wisdom.

ok every week so
i try and do it most mornings but that only as im on a cut for around a month before summer

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Losing weight and gaining lean muscle is 75% the food you eat, and 25% the exercise you take.

Restrict most of your daily carbs to your evening meal, preferably straight after a workout. Make sure you have a decent protein source in every meal, including breakfast, so eggs, chicken, mince are all good. Cut the crap like cereals and sugary foods and you're pretty much there. No need for fad diets like the 5-2. Just eat good quality, fresh food and no processed stuff.

6 packs are made in the kitchen, not the gym!

Stumpy Tim

Got an example of how you would do a 600 calories day? I'm a big fan of Yorkshire Provender soup, and its pretty filling, but even that weighs in at a couple of hundred calories a pack. Presumably soups and stews feature heavily, but what about, say, breakfast? And snacks? And I'm thinking a beer is probably completely out of the question on 600 calorie days? Could Google it, but would rather hear an NSCer's true life experience.

I don't eat until lunch, when I have a Youngs cod with some peas (150 caps). I will then have a boiled egg on toast (170 caps) mid-afternoon, and 2 skinless drumsticks with broccoli and broth (200 calories). I probably have about 20-30 calories in milk for tea as well. You get used it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't eat until lunch, when I have a Youngs cod with some peas (150 caps). I will then have a boiled egg on toast (170 caps) mid-afternoon, and 2 skinless drumsticks with broccoli and broth (200 calories). I probably have about 20-30 calories in milk for tea as well. You get used it.

Ta. I do try to do another part of the accepted wisdom that says you start your metabolism off earlydoors with green tea/blueberries. Tho it all generally falls apart by lunchtime with the introduction of bottles of Duvel and/or - on special offer at Sainos! - Punk IPA. My bad dieter :down:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
If changed my rating habits and dropped a stone in 45 days. I cut out as much processed food as possible (trying to be paleo). It's tough to begin with - no cheese, milk, bread, pasta. But you get there. Never been or felt better. Just struggling to get my 8 hours of sleep a day.

Thats exactly what I've done, shifted 2 st since Jan, but have come to a bit of a standstill at the moment. Mind I have been having the odd takeaway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stupid. Just weigh yourself every morning

I believe it is more accurate to actually weigh yourself once a week, on the same day and the same time. Weight can fluctuate during the week.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
I believe it is more accurate to actually weigh yourself once a week, on the same day and the same time. Weight can fluctuate during the week.

Thats sound my mistake. I wasn't saying it was stupid weighing yourself once a week, more the effort of trying to get yourself as low as possible for the weigh in rather than consistently working on your diet and fitness throughout the week. I just felt it was kind of cheating yourself.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• Beer-Bottle-Six-Pack-Costume.jpg
    Beer-Bottle-Six-Pack-Costume.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 166

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
This all sounds very interesting. I've tried dieting before, but that is usually out by lunchtime. Does anyone know any filling foods which are low on calories and fat?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
This all sounds very interesting. I've tried dieting before, but that is usually out by lunchtime. Does anyone know any filling foods which are low on calories and fat?

miso soup

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Losing weight and gaining lean muscle is 75% the food you eat, and 25% the exercise you take.

Restrict most of your daily carbs to your evening meal, preferably straight after a workout. Make sure you have a decent protein source in every meal, including breakfast, so eggs, chicken, mince are all good. Cut the crap like cereals and sugary foods and you're pretty much there. No need for fad diets like the 5-2. Just eat good quality, fresh food and no processed stuff.

6 packs are made in the kitchen, not the gym!

I've heard so many of these diet/training ratios and always thought the were rubbish - it's 50/50 all the way! You can eat all the right foods you want but you won't build sh!t if you're not training hard enough or you're doing it wrong. The reverse is also true, you can't have one without the other.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's a bit of both, but BoF is totally right. Question: If you eat 1000 kcals of broccoli on one day and 1000 kcals of ice cream on another day which one is going to make you fatter?

Exactly the same, but the quantities required to achieve 1k cals will be very different.

All foodstuffs comprise protein, carbs and/or fat and to work out the calories you need to know that there are 4 calories in every gram of protein, 4 calories in every gram of carb and 9 calories in every gram of fat. So you can work out the cal content once you know the weight aspect of P+C+F.

Only reason I know this is that I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and insulin only works on carbs, so to balance my blood sugar level, I have to know the carb content of everything I eat and dose my insulin accordingly. If I eat only protein or fat I don't need insulin.

Billy the Fish also said don't eat sugar - I'd say that's fine but would expand on that to avoid anything high in glucose, sucrose, fructose, lactose [galactose] or maltose [starch] - sugar is only is a small element of all these.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Eat less, move more (ie create a calorie deficit). Avoid shitty carbs (inc sugar). Paleo is good (protein fills you up) try to stick to it 70% of the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here