Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which is the best Wetherspoons in Brighton and Hove?

Which is the best spoons???

• Total voters

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Hove one was a Tescos.
North Street one was a bank once (and a couple of other pubs in between).
West Street one was an Amercan style pub/restaurant like TGI fridays or Hooters w/o the T&A.

Yep, the one in West Street was formerly McClusky's. A grim place for the over 21's. My mate met his wife in there about 12 years ago. It was always full of absolute skanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
dealing with what people want

Their customers are so plastered I'm not convinced they know what their own name is let alone what it is they actually want.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is myth spread about that Wetherspoons sell out of date beer or short life beer but thats what it is a myth created by other publicans to try to put them down. I was in Tim's office one day when a schweppes rep came in and Tims exact words " I will give you 3p a bottle for fruit juice and have a pallet of each flavour delivered to every pub, if your interested come in and shut the door if not shut the door on your way out" They finally did a deal on 39p a dozen which was about 1/3rd of what most pubs were paying. That is how they started buy in bulk cheap, sell it cheap and move the stock on and generate the turnover.

And do you reckon Schwepps gave him their best stuff or the stuff near the end of its life? I know what I would have done.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
:
I don't think people are getting 'upset', it's only a chain pub after all. We're just pointing out that 'spoons fulfill a purpose, or rather a number of purposes. It's a place for cheap booze for students and a place of cheap food for families and a lot of the criticism is pure snobbery.

I must confess to only going into two in my life, the one in the Marina and one in Chichester. I'm sure there are others that are shitholes, but both those two are WAY nicer (in every respect) to quite a few 'proper' pubs I've been in.

EDIT: And even you can tolerate the one in the Marina!

I can see how a large family could have an okay meal for an affordable price when they might otherwise not be able to afford it and I can't knock that. This thread is all about opinion, hence the poll and my opinion is that a vast majority of wetherspoons are dives. I however have no children and so don't have to take the cost of a family into consideration. My point was more that because I stated my opinion in what was fairly clearly an exagerrated manner I see no reason for Beach Hut to personally insult me. I know it's only a wind up but default insult of failed actor does become tired after a while, even more redundant as I cannot see how he could possibly know the state of my work as it is unlikely that I would go under the Stage Name of "Nibble" :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This thread is all about opinion, hence the poll and my opinion is that a vast majority of wetherspoons are dives.

and your opinion is pretty redundant as you've invoked Godwin's law and its obvious you've casting a broad idea based on a limited sample. your opinion should be that the majority of wetherspoons you have been to are dives. i'd suggest you go to nicer places with better quality of clientele using the pubs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
and your opinion is pretty redundant as you've invoked Godwin's law and its obvious you've casting a broad idea based on a limited sample. your opinion should be that the majority of wetherspoons you have been to are dives. i'd suggest you go to nicer places with better quality of clientele using the pubs.

I think Godwin's law is only applicable if it is offered in a serious manner. Secondly by your reckoning, nobody on this thread has a valid opinion, as to follow your reasoning one would have had to visit a vast sample of Wetherspoons to form a valid opinion, including yourself. Seeing as the poll offered a choice of four or five venues this would mean none of our opinions are valid. In short, in the context of this thread all opinions are valid or none at all. In a wider context I have seen many Wetherspoons in many towns and cities across the UK and N.Ireland and the majority are dives.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Rarely go to the Brighton and Hove ones, but the George Street one is always good for people watching and Jeremy Kyle extras.

However my take on Spoons as a whole is, at least you know what you are getting and as somebody that arrives in the town we are playing at often pre 11am, Spoons are a good first option. They are open, they keep the real ale weirdos quiet and you can get a breakfast with your pint.

So really, to me, Spoons serve a purpose.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Anyone been in the Burgess Hill one yet (apart from the doc) ???
There's even one opening in HH [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
In the days when Southern were truly dire (when they were still using the old 4-VEP units), the Wetherspoon's next to Oxted Station, where I often had to wait for trains back to East Grinstead, was far more pleasant than sitting freezing on the platform, with the bonus of a cheap pint thrown in. It's also the only pub in central Oxted (there are two or three in Old Oxted, but that's a fair way from the station). I wouldn't choose to go there for a night out, but for me it definitely served its purpose. I think location also plays a part. Oxted is a quiet commuter town. I would not want to drink in the Wetherspoon's in East Grinstead. It's right next to the only nightclub and so, I would think, attracts tyat type of custom. As for the B and H ones, I can't comment, as I hardly ever drink there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here