Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, people are idiots, but honestly, how long do you have to be on Twitter before you realise that there are plenty of idiots on there? For me, he's been there long enough to know the reaction his posts, retweets and likes will get, so the react to the inevitable responses he receives all just feels a bit daft on his part.

Personally I don't see why people get so wound up over a few tweets ..i mean look at Donald Trump and his tweets no problem there :whistle:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Stalling on a contract is harsh. He doesn't have to accept anything put in front of him and if he is just passing through he's got every right to wait for an opportunity that he believes is best for his family, if we want to have him sign for us now we have to put in a big enough offer for him.

His twitter antics are a bit lame but people need to realise they shouldn't post their bullshit selfish opinions without some blowback when the person they are directed at, sometimes aggressively, takes offence.

The retweeting and liking of posts about his future should be ignored but people won't because people are idiots.

Of course he doesn't have to accept anything thats put in front of him, but as it stands the club have made an offer and he's holding out for something better, as he is perfectly entitled to do. That's the definition of stalling.

The thing is, by all accounts he really IS a top bloke. He seems to have a lot of time for the fans, having pics taken with them, signing stuff, visiting kids in hospital etc. I’ve seen many accounts on NSC of him making someone’s day by taking the time to sign a shirt and have a chat with them. So quite why he feels this urge to often be, let’s say “mischievous” on social media, I have no idea. I think perhaps he has a strong narcissistic streak, judging by the amount of praise he always retweets about himself when people are heaping platitudes on him. He enjoys the attention. But the flip-side to that is he totally overreacts to anything on there that’s less than positive about him.

As a public figure (of sorts) it just goes with the territory on there, but he can’t seem to resist getting drawn into these utterly pointless spats where he gets ultra-defensive. Then he starts moralising and grandstanding on the reaction, so he can attract and retweet all the “yeah you tell em’ Dave!” replies he gets. It’s SUCH a tiresome pattern.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Not going to happen. We've offered 2 years, and he wants 4. I don't think either side have moved since then, as both think they can find something better. In our case, I think we probably can, but it does seem like a wasted opportunity for him, especially if it means he heads home to Leeds.

Excellent, at last we have an insider with knowledge of the ongoing contract negotiations. Do you have any updates on anybody else ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If he signs for Leeds I hope he has a decent start, because being a Leeds fan will not stop them tearing him to shreads on Twitter... !

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Prostituting himself? Wtf

So I take it we all prostitute ourselves if we have a job, where our contract is running out and we are trying to get another one? What a strange use of the word.

The complete shite that has been thrown at him for sharing a FAMILY picture of his son in a Leeds shirt by so called brighton fans is pathetic in the extreme.

He is from Leeds...he is NOT from brighton. He doesn't support Brighton, he supports Leeds. Those of us who follow him on twatter know that and always have known that. We seem to have a bunch of Albion " fans" now trolling him saying it's " disrespectful" showing a FAMILY picture of his child wearing a Leeds shirt. GET A ****ING LIFE.

I wonder how many of the " fans" fans are actually fans or just people who are hanging on to the tailcoat of an club that suddenly find themselves in the limelight.

If their trolling is supposed to in some way help him make his mind up, then I am sure he is more inclined to sign then not??? Or perhaps they are the same people who really went for Murray when he left and now they have backslided thinking he is a brighton "legend". We have form of behaving like complete twats about our past and current players.

"Trying to get another job"? Do me a favour.

Presumably he'll be signing on in the local job centre at the end of June unless somehow he desperately manages to secure a contract from someone in the last throes of the month thus saving his family from a lifetime of penury.

The point I was making is that given the amount of grief being chucked at him in social media, he will have been fully aware of the consequences of posting that photo. He may well have decided to do it anyway but sadly in the modern world he was always going to get trolled by doing so.

Given the way he has been using twitter recently, I just don't think it was a particularly intelligent thing to do.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
In a demonstration of the financial level Brighton are at, Sunderland's relegated but promising keeper Pickford is fetching 30 million in a move to Everton.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
"Trying to get another job"? Do me a favour.

Presumably he'll be signing on in the local job centre at the end of June unless somehow he desperately manages to secure a contract from someone in the last throes of the month thus saving his family from a lifetime of penury.

The point I was making is that given the amount of grief being chucked at him in social media, he will have been fully aware of the consequences of posting that photo. He may well have decided to do it anyway but sadly in the modern world he was always going to get trolled by doing so.

Given the way he has been using twitter recently, I just don't think it was a particularly intelligent thing to do.

Doubt his savings will be under £16,000

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Excellent, at last we have an insider with knowledge of the ongoing contract negotiations. Do you have any updates on anybody else ?

No, sorry.

However .... :wink: I bet Solly March is pleased he ignored is agent last summer who was badgering him to take a move away (£2m to Wolves). Apparently, he was getting a bit twitchy again early in the season when he felt he'd slipped down the pecking order, and there was a chance the deal would be re-ignited in January. By then though, we were flying and who would have been looking to move away at that stage.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, sorry.

However .... :wink: I bet Solly March is pleased he ignored is agent last summer who was badgering him to take a move away (£2m to Wolves). Apparently, he was getting a bit twitchy again early in the season when he felt he'd slipped down the pecking order, and there was a chance the deal would be re-ignited in January. By then though, we were flying and who would have been looking to move away at that stage.

Christ, footballers can be a precious bunch

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it’s become rather tiresome.

Posting a pic of his son in a Leeds shirt is no big deal, they’re from the area etc. But he knows EXACTLY what the reaction is going to be from some of the trolls, so why bother ? Unless he’s up for a fight on there, which he most certainly is, as I know myself from his toys-out-the-pram response to a fairly innocuous reply from me. Much like Piers Morgan, maybe he's just spoiling for a bit of an online spat for the extra attention, maybe to pass the time. More irritating is the fact that he’s spent the last few weeks somewhat cryptically liking and retweeting stuff that speculates about his future away from the club, it just comes across as him playing a little game with everyone. Maybe he titters when he likes another tweet linking him with such-and-such, then goes back to his phone with barely suppressed excitement to check and see the latest “storm” he’s whipped up. I dunno. Its an odd way to get your kicks.

Fine, but then don’t get all high and mighty when some fans get p1ssed off about it and start giving stick. He might just be a player passing through BHAFC, I don’t expect him to be a fan of every club he plays with any more than any other player. But when he’s stalling on a contract, then publically making it known that he’s enjoying being linked with moves, then he’s surrendered the right to be offended when (some) fans have a bit of a pop. I don’t mean outright abuse, there’s never an excuse for that. But how can he expect anything other than a negative reaction when he’s openly fuelling all the speculation on his departure ?

He just comes across as a bit of a dick, frankly. Which is disappointing.

Exactly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you earn an absolute fortune as a footballer, abuse to some extent goes with the territory. Sadly money comes before everything in many people's eyes.

Stockdale is prostituting himself after his contract runs out which he's entitled to do and sure the the twitter abuse has gone over the top.

But he knows exactly what he's doing and needs to remember that as fans we care deeply about the club and it's future - he may not, but we do.

I personally think there's something a bit unpleasant about that Insta post. He knew what reaction he would get - but did it anyway. Yes - he can claim the moral high ground but at the cost of his son being plastered all over social media.

We all just need to stop it and let him earn his corn elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely and utterly this. Couldn't have put it better myself.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps it's time we (and other clubs) started putting a 'No twitter' (or instagram or whatever) clause into players' contracts.

"£30K (or more) a week - but only on condition that you don't tweet."
"Oh, I'm not sure about that, my social media is too important to me. I'll have to think about that."

For £30K a week over a couple of years, I know which way I'd go!

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Of course he doesn't have to accept anything thats put in front of him, but as it stands the club have made an offer and he's holding out for something better, as he is perfectly entitled to do. That's the definition of stalling.

The thing is, by all accounts he really IS a top bloke. He seems to have a lot of time for the fans, having pics taken with them, signing stuff, visiting kids in hospital etc. I’ve seen many accounts on NSC of him making someone’s day by taking the time to sign a shirt and have a chat with them. So quite why he feels this urge to often be, let’s say “mischievous” on social media, I have no idea. I think perhaps he has a strong narcissistic streak, judging by the amount of praise he always retweets about himself when people are heaping platitudes on him. He enjoys the attention. But the flip-side to that is he totally overreacts to anything on there that’s less than positive about him.

As a public figure (of sorts) it just goes with the territory on there, but he can’t seem to resist getting drawn into these utterly pointless spats where he gets ultra-defensive. Then he starts moralising and grandstanding on the reaction, so he can attract and retweet all the “yeah you tell em’ Dave!” replies he gets. It’s SUCH a tiresome pattern.

That to me suggests mental health issues.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What are the chances that the club will announce the arrival of Ryan and shortly afterwards the departure of Stockdale, all in the same day?

I cannot believe the club will be at all impressed by the Twittering, but if he is off there really is nothing they can do, otherwise they may have suggested he put a stop to it and all would have gone quiet.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Perhaps it's time we (and other clubs) started putting a 'No twitter' (or instagram or whatever) clause into players' contracts.

"£30K (or more) a week - but only on condition that you don't tweet."
"Oh, I'm not sure about that, my social media is too important to me. I'll have to think about that."

For £30K a week over a couple of years, I know which way I'd go!

Seems sensible to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here