Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ha - some bloke with Andrew Neil on the BBC has just said the very same figures!
Well done, but I'm afraid that's not worthy of an NSC point.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder if Sinn Fein would rethink their absenteeism stand if DUP prop up Theresa May.

No chance.

There's not only the whole "not keen on the Queen" thing but they ran on an abstentionism ticket and affirmed last night they will stick to it.

Of course there is something amusing about Sinn Fein helping to keep out Corbyn and McDonnell, for now at least.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It also makes impossible to wheel out the "Corbyn is a friend of terrorists" line again. There are too many DUP members with unsavory pasts.
Are they standing to be Prime Minister?

* EDIT: I see Trig mentioned it while I was posting this:
I like to be ahead of the curve :)
it still got remarkably little coverage for a bone-headed decision
Early days, people should pick up on it.

The Tories have ****ed up so badly I almost want to laugh, but I'm a bit too concerned for the future to be laughing right now.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I'm not sure that's the case, is it. Wouldn't it be:

MPs: 650
Less Sinn Fein: 7
Less the speaker: 1
Effective total: 642

Effective majority target: 322

Conservative: 319
DUP: 10
Coalition total: 329

Effective majority: 7

Yeah just seen that on tv. Need to brush up on my maths. Still not strong enough to allow us to currently get the best exit deal. Going to be a bumpy road.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
May should be resigning. Completely incompetent person. Need someone much better than her to lead this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I said earlier that the hard Brexit manifesto is now dead in the water. Everything, including the original referendum, points to a softer Brexit. Corbyn and May now need to sit down, be adult, listen to what this election has said, and form a cross party group of MPs to decide the preferred terms of Brexit and then go and negotiate them. I'd ask a non MP/minister to negotiate. This will take Brexit out of the current governmental stalemate.

In my view that is 100% on the money - but it's sense so it won't happen

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wonder if Sinn Fein would rethink their absenteeism stand if DUP prop up Theresa May.
There'd be no point, as Tory + DUP is over half the votes anyway.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But your logic would suggest that last time they would only be able to get left policies through, as the house was a little to the left. Given the the Tories wouldn't want to get left policies through, that would have mean not doing anything last time either.

Of course they're not in a position of strength, it's a shambles, but I'm not sure it needs to be any worse than the last coalition.

What is certain, is that May and her advisors have royally ****ed up. Idiots.

The difference was the Libs bought 57 seats with them and the government then had 363 majority. It meant that the Libs could get some of their manifesto promises in, have ministers in key positions and have an active role in government, but it was still a mainly Tory government.

This time the DUP can't even get their majority higher than what they started with - and they called this election because that wasn't enough!

You simply cannot call an election purely on the basis of you stating you do not have enough seats to govern effectively with, then form a government with less seats - they're the ones who have said that isn't enough. How can they go against what they have said!?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
May should be resigning. Completely incompetent person. Need someone much better than her to lead this country.

The Tories need to rally round May, as difficult as that will be for many of them, if they value being in government.

If there is another election in the near term, Labour will find another million teenagers down the back of the sofa and with a "one last push" drive would sweep to power.

The Tories really need to see off Corbyn. He's 68 now and if the Tories are somehow able to see out a full term, he would be 73 by the time the next election comes around. No one has been elected to PM at that age before. Would he have the appetite for that?

If he does stand down and Corbyn-mania diminishes with it, the Tories may have had the chance to regroup and head to the next election with a fresh-faced leader. Quite who, I have no idea.

Lots of "ifs' there, I fully appreciate, but it simply comes down to self preservation for the Tories now.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Heard a few things on radio before left house and assumed from what i was hearing there had been a Blair type swing to Labour. I now find out that Labour still have 56 less seats then conservatives. Isnt this a little over the top

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The difference was the Libs bought 57 seats
That's a democratic scandal!

with them and the government then had 363 majority. It meant that the Libs could get some of their manifesto promises in, have ministers in key positions and have an active role in government, but it was still a mainly Tory government.

This time the DUP can't even get their majority higher than what they started with - and they called this election because that wasn't enough!
They didn't call it because it wasn't enough, they called it because they wanted more and May wanted to have been chosen by the people (so she could say she had a mandate etc). And there are more Tory MPs this time than the last coalition.

You simply cannot call an election purely on the basis of you stating you do not have enough seats to govern effectively with, then form a government with less seats - they're the ones who have said that isn't enough. How can they go against what they have said!?
I didn't know that was what they stated as the reason - if it was, could you post a link?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here