Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There is clearly a difference between 'needs' and 'would like to have'.

How are you judging this is a 'nice to have situation? Several senior police figures saying we need more resources and in a time when we have had 3 attacks in 3 months I would have to say I agree with them

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Latest ICM/GUARDIAN poll - Westminster voting intention:

CON: 45% (-)
LAB: 34% (-)
LDEM: 8% (-1)
UKIP: 5% (-)
GRN: 3% (-)

(via @ICMResearch / 02-04Jun)
Chgs w/ 02Jun

Was this taken before or after the London attack?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Blimey that's a hellish choice. We are about to enter the most important negotiations in our lifetime A clear united strong position that believes in the choice the country made is the only sensible option .. despite their faults the Tories are the only credible option.

The EU has made it clear that the result of the British election will make no difference to its negotiating position although, on balance, it would prefer to deal with a government with a reasonable majority behind it.

May's certain victory on Thursday will certainly allow enthusiasts to claim that the country is firmly behind the government's direction of travel. Others might feel that the cataclysmic quality of the opposition might have something to do with it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I may have got that figure from another source, in this IFS report it is a predicted reduced revenue of £16.5bn a year (this is a per year figure based on the cuts since April 2010 when CT was 28%). You'll note that each time the government estimated the cost of the rate cut, it turned out to be a greater loss in revenue than predicted.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9207

interesting. my conclusion is the IFS analysts need to start talking among themselves, as some of the conclusions flat out contradict the analysis of the Labour proposed increase, they cant both be right.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
[tweet]871656498937647104[/tweet]

I just listened to this, piers Morgan is a bellend but he really nailed that at some points. The big moments I picked out were the quotes on community policing cuts and the fact that all she had was an attack on corbyn on a taken out of context shoot-to-kill interview, despite less than 24 hours ago corbyn giving a speech saying exactly the opposite.

How anyone can buy the strong and stable line or the judge us on our records farce is utterly beyond me.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I just listened to this, piers Morgan is a bellend but he really nailed that at some points. The big moments I picked out were the quotes on community policing cuts and the fact that all she had was an attack on corbyn on a taken out of context shoot-to-kill interview, despite less than 24 hours ago corbyn giving a speech saying exactly the opposite.

How anyone can buy the strong and stable line or the judge us on our records farce is utterly beyond me.

Enough is enough says Theresa May, she seems to forget she has been in charge for a year and in charge of the police since 2010

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Enough is enough says Theresa May, she seems to forget she has been in charge for a year and in charge of the police since 2010

She parrots the "its not the numbers it's the powers" line again too, which completely ignores the fact that no one is disputing the powers at all. What people are disputing is the fact that we don't have enough police gathering intelligence on the ground and working within the communities to help with counter-terrorism at the fundamental level. These guys don't even carry guns and no one is asking them to shoot anyone. It's also probably foreshadowing tougher internet snooping and encryption laws, which is uninspiring. Their campaign has been godawful, but I rolled my eyes a bit at the "weak and wobbly" line that labour supporters threw at them, but it's ringing more true every day.

May also just gave a speech saying that leadership was at the heart of the election, when a few days ago, it was Brexit, so are they rebranding their campaign for the 4th time now?! Knives must surely be being sharpened behind the scenes.

D

Deleted member 2719

May says repeatedly she will have a shoot to kill policy. :guns:

What is Jezza view on this?

A slap on the hand?

Your a very naughty boy?

This is a genuine question as I have heard a proper direct answer to this?

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
May says repeatedly she will have a shoot to kill policy. :guns:

What is Jezza view on this?

A slap on the hand?

Your a very naughty boy?

This is a genuine question as I have heard a proper direct answer to this?

He gave a speech last night where he mentioned it. The relevant section, he said:

"Our priority must be public safety and I will take whatever action is necessary and effective to protect the security of our people and our country that includes full authority for the police to use whatever force is necessary to protect and save life as they did last night, as they did in Westminster in March."

I'm sure someone will post an older BBC interview with him saying the opposite, which has been ruled by the BBC trust as innacurate (https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...report-on-jeremy-corbyn-was-inaccurate-labour) but that doesn't usually stop people believing it anyway.

D

Deleted member 2719

He gave a speech last night where he mentioned it. He said:

‘Our priority must be public safety and I will take whatever action is necessary and effective to protect the security of our people and our country that includes full authority for the police to use whatever force is necessary to protect and save life as they did last night, as they did in Westminster in March.’

I'm sure someone will post an older BBC interview with him saying the opposite, which has been ruled by the BBC trust as innacurate (https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...report-on-jeremy-corbyn-was-inaccurate-labour) but that doesn't usually stop people believing it anyway.

OK, I hadn't heard that.

I suppose the question is, has he changed his policy or is it just blag to get the top job.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
Did anyone just watch Theresa May's press conference on bbc 2? She had about half an hour of questions and I don't think she actually answered a single one. It was just painful.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's also probably foreshadowing tougher internet snooping and encryption laws, which is uninspiring.

Uninspiring is the least of it. Her remark about back doors in encryption technology is the stupidest comment I've ever heard from a British politician (and that's saying something). The future is going to be more and more e-commerce and Internet transactions and to want to withdraw the UK from this world is totally bonkers.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
Uninspiring is the least of it. Her remark about back doors in encryption technology is the stupidest comment I've ever heard from a British politician (and that's saying something). The future is going to be more and more e-commerce and Internet transactions and to want to withdraw the UK from this world is totally bonkers.

There is an excellent article here from boingboing about why that comment is so ridiculous. Definitely worth a read as it's broken down so one can understand it even if they're not highly versed in information security.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here