Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marathon course 146m too short

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I cannot see what difference it makes other than attempting a record etc. As far as a half marathon is concerned most so called half marathons are not anywhere near 13 miles, most are about 10 miles or thereabouts.

"So called" by people who are knowingly running a 10 mile event, but are trying to pretend they ran a half marathon? Is THAT what you mean, as you surely do not claim that most half marathons are so badly organised that they draw up a route for about 10 miles then get bored, draw a finish line, and think "yeah, that'll do."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry but thats Rubbish. You get 10 miles races such as the Great South Run. I have run worthing half marathon and it was 13.1 miles last year! Just over 6 miles is called a 10k!! Some local village runs will not be 100% accurate but the big events will be pretty close (should be spot on). Events such as Brighton HM (and marathon) monitored by the IAA , hence why Brighton has now been picked as being wrong. The Manchestr Marathon was 300+ meters short a couple of years ago.

1 think my relative was talking about local runs like the Haywards Heath one as opposed to national ones like the Great North Run etc which will obviously be closely monitored. FWIW I have only ever used running to get fit or stay fit for other sports never to race.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I cannot see what difference it makes other than attempting a record etc. As far as a half marathon is concerned most so called half marathons are not anywhere near 13 miles, most are about 10 miles or thereabouts.

So there we go - that's stated as fact, folks.

I cannot think of anything more boring than running for mile upon mile but some people I know do this religously and it those who have told me of such events. One was in Worthing which apparently was 7 miles as I was told, I dont know for sure only what I was told. The same person told me that any race of over about 6 miles are usually advertised as a half marathon.

Actually not quite a fact. More something he'd been told by someone and gullibly believed them without the slightest understanding of the subject.

Perhaps my relative was spinning a story or she didnt know.

I'm going for she didn't know. It seems to be a family trait.

1 think my relative was talking about local runs like the Haywards Heath one as opposed to national ones like the Great North Run etc which will obviously be closely monitored. FWIW I have only ever used running to get fit or stay fit for other sports never to race.

Yes that's definitely it. So now all we runners know, if we want a personal best just enter a small, local, race and it's bound to be short by several miles. Maybe even half :facepalm:

I think he's definitely been on it again, yes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously misinformed sorry. I shall tell Mandy who runs in excess of 100 miles a week including national marathons that she is wrong about the little village runs that she runs for training.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you run incorrectly, as most people do, it can cause a lot of damage to knees and other skeletal structures. I used to be a rehabilitation fitness instructor. I know what I'm talking about. I also did not say "running trashes your knees" I said running marathons trashes your knees. It does. I run a lot, I enjoy it. Marathons are not good for the average person. I'm sorry if your opinion of running doesn't match mine but that doesn't make me ill informed or miserable. Thank you.

Doing my 51st marathon (or longer - a few of these were a bit over that distance) next week. Had knee trouble before I started running (in my mid 30s), but none of any significance since apart from one issue due to tripping over, since. I regularly run with people who have completed, in some cases, several hundred marathons. Agree technique can impact running efficiency and potentially help avoid injury though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Classic [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]s Grandad

Utterly, utterly clueless in this case. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I think you might be getting confused with the 'Mid Sussex Marathon Weekend' in May - which is 2 x 10 milers and a 10k spread over a weekend, which adds up to marathon distance, but ISN'T A MARATHON.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you run incorrectly, as most people do, it can cause a lot of damage to knees and other skeletal structures. I used to be a rehabilitation fitness instructor. I know what I'm talking about. I also did not say "running trashes your knees" I said running marathons trashes your knees. It does. I run a lot, I enjoy it. Marathons are not good for the average person. I'm sorry if your opinion of running doesn't match mine but that doesn't make me ill informed or miserable. Thank you.

Another NO vote for your statement. I believe it to be an urban myth.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Obviously misinformed sorry. I shall tell Mandy who runs in excess of 100 miles a week including national marathons that she is wrong about the little village runs that she runs for training.

She's probably only doing around 70- 80 miles a week if she thinks 10 is 13.2.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I cannot think of anything more boring than running for mile upon mile but some people I know do this religously and it those who have told me of such events. One was in Worthing which apparently was 7 miles as I was told, I dont know for sure only what I was told. The same person told me that any race of over about 6 miles are usually advertised as a half marathon.

Is this the same person who keeps you informed about transfer rumours, by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
She is a very experienced runner so I would assume that what she says is correct in many cases with little local runs organised by the local Lions club etc.

People are rather touchy about people saying anything bad about running. Strange. Esp considering the thread is actually about short half marathons.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
She is a very experienced runner so I would assume that what she says is correct in many cases with little local runs organised by the local Lions club etc.

I'm reckon what has said to you is right, but you haven't listened properly.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
People are rather touchy about people saying anything bad about running. Strange. Esp considering the thread is actually about short half marathons.

Forming a BensGrandad and Clamp alliance for this thread is like waving a white flag.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

As a very experienced runner I would imagine that nearly every race she has done has been a UKA measured race (as most races are), and has therefore run the advertised distance in those races.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here