Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would you sign (CHAMPIONSHIP or LOWER LEAGUES only)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that we do not go after Halford as he is not good enough as first choice and we dont need him and Calderon as back up. I or the other only. Odubajo of Brentford signed as Right midfield but played right wing back against us at The Amex, quick good tackler but I doubt Brentford will sell him.

Didnt Anton Ferdinand only sign till end of season with Reading but again wages could be a problem with him.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Jérémy Hélan (Wednesday) left midfield

Danny Ward (Huddersfield) left wing ???

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Bakary Sako- out of contract in the summer, and his good mate Nouha Dicko who has a year left on his (those two will test Bloom's pockets!)

Sako is going to the Premier League, most likely West Brom or Villa. But Wolves have some tremendous players, with the power and height that some of our attacking players lack. Dicko would be great, as would their right back, Dominic Iorfa.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Tyrone Mings (Ipswich)
Tommy Smith (Ipswich)
Chris Solly (Charlton)
Kieffer Moore (Yeovil)
Jed Wallace (Pompey)
Curtis Nelson (Plymouth)
Mickey Demetriou (Shrewsbury)

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
You are not serious about Tyrone Mings are you? He is very sought after and will go to a Premier side if he leaves Ipswich for big money.

The question wasn't "what players are we REALISTICALLY likely to sign". Of course we have little to no chance of attracting such a bright, young prospect when teams in the Pl are sniffing around but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Keep up the comedy BG........Beckford.....:ffsparr:

You may mock him but he is only 31 and this season has scored 14 goals in 44 appearances nearly 1 in 3 with a career total of 139 goals in 339 appearances which is better than 1 in 3 so who can you think of within our range with better statistics.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
You may mock him but he is only 31 and this season has scored 14 goals in 44 appearances nearly 1 in 3 with a career total of 139 goals in 339 appearances which is better than 1 in 3 so who can you think of within our range with better statistics.

Signing Beckford would be pretty much the same as signing Leon Best. So anyone, really.

M.D

Jan 15, 2015
Jay Emmanuel Thomas been released by Bristol City

Linked up well with Baldock could he do it at Championship level obviously Steve Cotterell doesnt think so or has been promised the funds for a bigger fish.

Some people won't like this but I'm a Bristol City fan, season ticket holder at the Amex as I've lived in Sussex for 38 years..

I know a fair bit about the situation with JET, one of the most gifted players in lower league football, but he does not fit into the 3-5-2 system that Cotterill plays and has built this last season and a half. There is will be extra funds for Bristol City to rebuild so it was always on the cards that JET would leave. He is a bit of a maverick, sublime left foot but does drift in and out of games but then can really turn a match. IMHO he would fit into the system I think Houghton wants to implement at the Amex but can be a bit of a luxury player at times. Good shout really, needs to play week in week out and was never going to fit down in Bristol despite being a real fan favourite..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some people won't like this but I'm a Bristol City fan, season ticket holder at the Amex as I've lived in Sussex for 38 years..

I know a fair bit about the situation with JET, one of the most gifted players in lower league football, but he does not fit into the 3-5-2 system that Cotterill plays and has built this last season and a half. There is will be extra funds for Bristol City to rebuild so it was always on the cards that JET would leave. He is a bit of a maverick, sublime left foot but does drift in and out of games but then can really turn a match. IMHO he would fit into the system I think Houghton wants to implement at the Amex but can be a bit of a luxury player at times. Good shout really, needs to play week in week out and was never going to fit down in Bristol despite being a real fan favourite..

Are people not suggesting CH should play a 3-5-2 system also to get 2 up front with the full backs in the 5 as opposed to 4-4-2.

M.D

Jan 15, 2015
Jay Emmanuel Thomas been released by Bristol City

Linked up well with Baldock could he do it at Championship level obviously Steve Cotterell doesnt think so or has been promised the funds for a bigger fish.

Are people not suggesting CH should play a 3-5-2 system also to get 2 up front with the full backs in the 5 as opposed to 4-4-2.

JET is an attacking mid/shadow striker, would fit perfectly behind a one up front system..

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Jérémy Hélan (Wednesday) left midfield

Danny Ward (Huddersfield) left wing ???

Why? Jérémy Hélan just looks good to me on a left side where we have only got JFC. I can't imagine Wednesday will sell him in our price range but he looks very quick and skillful to me.

Danny Ward is strictly plan B. He looks as he could cross accurately to a big man upfront. Not sure about the other aspects of his play like short passing and ball retention. Not especially quick either. He is not a regular for Huddersfield but they were ahead of last season.

I can't see much in the lower divisions (apart from the obvious high earners) that both young enough and significantly better than we have got.

I envisage 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3 depending on the opponents. That means our leading striker needs to be a bit more mobile and we need a second deeper lying striker who can run into space as well.
4-3-3 involves a wide man striker and an advancing full back on the opposite side. 4-4-2 without the wide men or else I would call 4-2-4.

Kayal (defensive) and Stephens (box2box) and one other would be 4-3-3.

So basically I don't know who will make that much difference. As our priorities are left back, central defence, mobile striker and pacy right wing; and left midfield and a reserve right back are just desirables, even these two signings will not make that much difference.

Tex2.JPG

We get closed down so quickly that we have got to have an outlet wide as passing it through the middle is too crowded.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here