Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only for the Over 40s - mid life crises

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Recently stayed up late with a couple of mates discussing mid life crises and we reckon all men go through them between 40 and 55. We chalked up half a dozen warning signs:

1. Buy high powered motor bike
2. Buy Classic car of the MGBGT, Mk 2 Golf GTi or Old Mini Cooper S ilk
3. Buy and start playing guitar (often after an absence of 20 years)
4. Have an affair with much younger woman
5. Divorce and marry much younger woman (not necessarily the same one!)
6. Re-ignite obsessive passion in a childhood past-time or sport

I suddenly realised that 5 of the above applied to me, 5 applied to my mate Joe and 4 to my other mate Ray .... fecking frightening when you view it like that ...

the male menopause!

So guys aged over 40 ... are you having your mid-life crisis yet?

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
1 for my dad, although he's currently planning two of the others

He's 54 and hence should be over this stage, but he's started playing the bass guitar again, and he's planning to get a bike and a Fiat 500 :nono:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
MYOB said:
1 for my dad, although he's currently planning two of the others

He's 54 and hence should be over this stage, but he's started playing the bass guitar again, and he's planning to get a bike and a Fiat 500 :nono:

That's three for starters!!!!

It is quite worrying, cos if anyone had asked me when I was 38 or 39 would I envisage any of the above I would have thought they were raving mad (except for the footie passion maybe!)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
4 & 5 happened to my first husband when he was 45.

I came out of a lot better in the long run but now without a lot of heartbreak

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Yorkie said:
4 & 5 happened to my first husband when he was 45.

I came out of a lot better in the long run but now without a lot of heartbreak

That's sad cos you seem a lovely person Yorkie (and Ned's a lucky guy) ..... I am not attaching blame to any of the above - some are triggered by external influences or even other people - but it is weird just how many men do go through this "menopausal type" phase in their lives .....

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I would say quite a few of them especially those who haven't achieved what they thought they would in life.

My ex is still with the younger woman he married but they are struggling. He is drinking heavily and lost their house. He got into debt and they are now renting.
So his happiness at finding a younger woman backfired badly on him.

I on the other hand met Ned 2 years after his adultery and the divorce and am very happily married and have been for nearly 12 years. I think there's a moral there somewhere.

Stick to the bikes and guitars guys :lol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I tavelled around America and ended up marrying one. She's younger than me but if you haven't guessed yet we're devorcing.

I did have the boy racer car and am thinking about taking up the guitar (again).

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
46 and haven't really done any of them although in the case of no. 4 this may be down to a lack opportunity, I certainly haven't sought it out. I haven't really re-ignited a childhood obsession as I never really grew out of them in the first place.

My main concern is that the years have failed to bring me any of the maturity, self-assuredness and gravitas which I remember people of my age possessing when I was growing up.

LEWES CLIFF

Mar 7, 2004
I turned 40 in December and have started to breathe in as i pass shop windows and started to flirt with any female who passes as human.I also have started to hate anyone male younger ,slimmer or richer than me in other words i hate everyone!:shootself

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Maturity? What's that?

I intend to grow old disgracefully :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just no 2 , the others sound too much like aggravation to me and I'm not sure a younger woman would have me anyway :p

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Sometimes the problems arise because you married very young. I hit 40 last year and although I haven't done anything on that original list I do find it flattering when young ladies find me attractive.

I was over for the footy last weekend and had a night out in the Junction, it was extremely grim but I still managed to get chatting to a nice young lady. I had a great night out, had a dance but no snogging or anything as I said early on that I was married with two kids and was just over visiting a mate for the footy. The only thing that let me down was starting off with a phoney irish accent and then forgetting it about two hours later.

Another missed opportunity :lolol:, but nothing to feel guilty about either.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Gaffer said:
Oi! I've missed out. I'm 63, same missus for 40+ years. No motor bike, No hair, No guitar. Where did I go wrong?:)

0/6 for me too. We're a decent bunch in Seaford Gaffer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
I tavelled around America and ended up marrying one. She's younger than me but if you haven't guessed yet we're devorcing.

Sorry to hear that , shite end to a hassle filled year for you it seems?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only one of those applies to me

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Safeway said:
You missed number 7: Irrational yearning to save every football club in the world from unscrupulous chairmen.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: and have an unverving desire to slap hoolies who get themselves evicted from away grounds!!!
:lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here