Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The "Where will Zaha go?" Summer 2018 thread

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Parish, Bright and Hodgson are valuing Zaha at a level that means no one will buy him. Very intentional, making him a (well paid) captive. Knowing full well that they have a crap, relegation bound, squad without him.

When players want to leave for a chance of big trophies and huge wages (e.g. Suarez, Lukaku, Coutinho, Walker, Stones), my personal view is that they should be allowed to leave. A career is too short.

Pathetically desparate by Hodgson and co. Shows a complete lack of faith in their recruiting and team spirit.
Probably pricing him in line with their receipts for avoiding the inevitable relegation with out him in the side.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Zaha wants to leave then so be it. I wonder if Bale + £40m would get the deal over the line for Real Madrid?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Cheat.jpg

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
My eyes, my eyes... please stop...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Could still refuse to play when the season starts. As others say, he'll want to get a proper pre-season in, show he hasn't lost anything over the summer. Keep up appearances so as not to put off perspective buyers who don't want to sign a trouble-maker.

I could see this leading to what has become a typical palace season: terrible start, to the point it looks like they're almost certs for relegation, change of manager, then wins that keep them up and make them think now they've got the right manager they can kick on and start the season as well as they ended the last one and push up the table, maybe get a place in Europe...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could still refuse to play when the season starts. As others say, he'll want to get a proper pre-season in, show he hasn't lost anything over the summer. Keep up appearances so as not to put off perspective buyers who don't want to sign a trouble-maker.
No he couldn't, not unless he wanted to sit out until January.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No he couldn't, not unless he wanted to sit out until January.

Yes he could. You assume he wants to play football or that a transfer is the only end to this story. If he really wants to move he could sit out all their games and wait until January, if he so felt like it. He'd be lacking match fitness should the move finally happen (a move that could happen prior to January, but he wouldn't be able to play for the new club until January, of course), and would be subject to club fines, etc, but if he wanted to that is an option.

Or he could wait until they offer him £200K a week, and a buyout clause at a more reasonable than £70m fee, say, £25m, and sign a new contract in the middle of September after they haven't won a point, and be a part of their revival (at least until January).

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Yes he could. You assume he wants to play football or that a transfer is the only end to this story. If he really wants to move he could sit out all their games and wait until January, if he so felt like it. He'd be lacking match fitness should the move finally happen (a move that could happen prior to January, but he wouldn't be able to play for the new club until January, of course), and would be subject to club fines, etc, but if he wanted to that is an option.

Or he could wait until they offer him £200K a week, and a buyout clause at a more reasonable than £70m fee, say, £25m, and sign a new contract in the middle of September after they haven't won a point, and be a part of their revival (at least until January).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Zaha is leaving, Palace are broke, we are heading for admin 3. Must be all true, I read it on here.
It's just a shame he will end up at Barcelona or Juventus then isn't it, along with his rightful peers? I was hoping he'd send you down and then celebrate wildly in front of you.

Ian Wright will always be my favourite "Palace legend" after doing that. What a character! [emoji106]

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
They're simply preventing him leaving, with a price no one will pay.

Other clubs at the end of the day, often after much kicking and screaming, allow players to move on.

£60-70m is not an unreasonable price for a player of his outstanding quality. We'd be fools to accept anything less in the current climate.

It's just a shame he will end up at Barcelona or Juventus then isn't it, along with his rightful peers? I was hoping he'd send you down and then celebrate wildly in front of you.

Ian Wright will always be my favourite "Palace legend" after doing that. What a character! [emoji106]

I would be much happier with Wilfried going abroad when he eventually leaves, yes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£60-70m is not an unreasonable price for a player of his outstanding quality. We'd be fools to accept anything less in the current climate.

I understand your angle, and IMO (probably the only person on NSC) he's a far better player than Richarlison, but I think Parrish/Hodgson are hell bent on him staying against his wishes as you're awful without Zaha. Really awful. So they've set s silly valuation.

Preventing a player leaving is wrong. Coutinho wanted to go to Barca, Lukaku to ManU, VVD to Liverpool, and in the end the clubs relented.

Zaha deserves another chance at a bigger club. I think Parish/Hodgson are sly and unreasonable on this matter.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
£60-70m is not an unreasonable price for a player of his outstanding quality. We'd be fools to accept anything less.

The problem you have is that he has played for two clubs other than Palace and was an abject failure at both. There will be a question mark regarding his ability to adapt to a new club. £60-70m for a player who has consistently performed at more than one club is one thing, but for someone who hasn’t ..... that’s a big risk for the buying club.

At the end of the day he is only worth what someone will pay for him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I understand your angle, and IMO (probably the only person on NSC) he's a far better player than Richarlison, but I think Parrish/Hodgson are hell bent on him staying against his wishes as you're awful without Zaha. Really awful. So they've set s silly valuation.

Preventing a player leaving is wrong. Coutinho wanted to go to Barca, Lukaku to ManU, VVD to Liverpool, and in the end the clubs relented.

Zaha deserves another chance at a bigger club. I think Parish/Hodgson are sly and unreasonable on this matter.
It's a tricky one, they're far more likely to be relegated if they do let him leave.

Perhaps a big pay rise and the promise of letting him go next summer will be enough?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here