Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Official Match Thread: England v Colombia

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My mistake Maguire didnt collect a yellow card so the ref obviously accepted his apology for falling over I wrongly thought that Hoddle said that he was booked.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How they didn't get a red card or three is beyond me, the referee totally lost control of the game. But we didn't rise to it, we carried on trying to play football and despite it ending up being gut wrenchingly close, we won. And we thoroughly deserved to win.

We got more involved than I'd have liked.

1. When the penalty was awarded and the Colombians were going loopy with the ref, our players should have just walked well away and stayed away until the drama was over. But a few of our players got involved in the nonsense.

2. Stones (I think it was) leaving one on Falcao. He was very lucky that wasn't reviewed as he'd have been off. We'd have been full of outrage if a Colombian had done that to Kane.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We got more involved than I'd have liked.

1. When the penalty was awarded and the Colombians were going loopy with the ref, our players should have just walked well away and stayed away until the drama was over. But a few of our players got involved in the nonsense.

2. Stones (I think it was) leaving one on Falcao. He was very lucky that wasn't reviewed as he'd have been off. We'd have been full of outrage if a Colombian had done that to Kane.

Agree....we came close to losing our heads when we should have let the Colombians get on with their nonsense.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Delighted to have won,more worried of the fact we've only scored 1 goal from open play in the tournament.Roll on Saturday v are bogey side Sweden.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unbelievable callers on radio currently. One saying Kane is no good and should be dropped for Vardy. Another morning about lack of England’s chances. As Sutton says, England in the QF and won a penalty shoot out plus have top scorer on tournament!

And btw, where are all those half and half fans of cockney Colombian heritage? Wearing yellow shirts on tv in the build up but saying they don’t know who they want to win. Ha ha. The answer is ‘you’ lost! No jumping ship now yer turncoats, go visit the relatives instead.

On Radio 5Live's WC phone in with Robbie Savage.

A few (definitely English) callers, rubbishing Kane's WC on a couple of grounds:
1. His alleged lack of pace is holding the team back.
2. His goal tally is a farce because it's mostly pens. Unfair should he win the Golden Boot.

Absolute bollocks and vehemently challenged by Savage.

On (2), my argument is that Kane would have had a hat full of set piece goals, if the cheating opponents hadn't illegal wrestled.

Stumpy Tim

Delighted to have won,more worried of the fact we've only scored 1 goal from open play in the tournament.Roll on Saturday v are bogey side Sweden.

We scored two against Panama - Lingard and Kane's third. Kane is also fouled so much we keep getting free-kicks in dangerous positions, so of course we're not scoring as many in open play

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

A few (definitely English) callers, rubbishing Kane's WC on a couple of grounds:
2. His goal tally is a farce because it's mostly pens. Unfair should he win the Golden Boot.

On (2), my argument is that Kane would have had a hat full of set piece goals, if the cheating opponents hadn't illegal wrestled.

Exactly. He's getting kicked, shoved, grabbed and wrestled every time he gets in a dangerous position (and sometimes when he's not). The point of penalties and free kicks (if you think about it simply) is to award the advantage to the team who are trying to score vs the team that's cheating.

That's what's happened in the three (proper) matches so far. Aside from the fact that we should have had two more penalties against Tunisia.

It's a sign that teams can't live with Kane so they have to stop him by fouling him. Either way, it creates goals. I couldn't give a toss if we don't score another goal from open play provided Kane keeps getting WWE'd and gets up to bang it in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Also think credit should go to Southgate for playing five at the back ..those three c/h’s doing the business

Agreed. We have to respect his wide knowledge and his work with all the England age groups. He was determined to play this and it works. Defensively Pickford has barely faced any shots on target for example. Offensively, Stones or Maguire have licence to get attacks under way.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Agreed. We have to respect his wide knowledge and his work with all the England age groups. He was determined to play this and it works. Defensively Pickford has barely faced any shots on target for example. Offensively, Stones or Maguire have licence to get attacks under way.
The only thing with this that still worries me is Walker. His pace gets him out of some tricky situations (was piss funny when he skinned Falcao and he had to foul Walker to stop him embarrassing him) but he seems to have a mistake per game in him. Said from the start that I'd be happier with him in his natural position and another natural CB as the third CB.

But I'm not complaining! Southgate has done a fantastic job so far. The togetherness and spirit of the squad is something we've not seen for a very long time and the bloke is clever, meticulous in his planning and doesn't give a shit about what the media say. He's basically the manager that Hoddle thought he was as his house sized ego convinced him that he was a genius when he actually had the man management skills of Donald Trump.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's good to see that Maradona and Radamel Falcao have taken England's win so well.

Maradona

"I saw a monumental theft. I apologise to all the Colombian people, but they must know the players are not to blame.

It is the man who decides who the referee is who is to blame. A man like that (Geiger) should not be put in charge of a game of that magnitude.

With all due respect, Pierluigi Collina, as the man who designates the referees, he is very bad. He must apologise to the Colombian people.

I told (FIFA president) Gianni Infantino that if I worked for FIFA I would change everything. It has to be transparent. That's why I didn't go there.

The referee will know a lot about baseball, but he has no idea about football. The Colombian players asked for VAR and he did not give it to them."

Falcao

"To tell you the truth, the process leaves a lot of doubts. He only spoke English, some bias was certain. Through small calls he was pushing us [toward] our goal, that was clear for me.

The referee disturbed us a lot, in the 50-50 plays, he always made the calls in favour of England.

This situation was undermining us. He didn't act with the same criteria for both teams.

When in doubt he always went to the England side. It's shameful that this happens in the round of 16 of a World Cup."

crying_baby.jpg

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's good to see that Maradona and Radamel Falcao have taken England's win so well.

Maradona

"I saw a monumental theft. I apologise to all the Colombian people, but they must know the players are not to blame.

It is the man who decides who the referee is who is to blame. A man like that (Geiger) should not be put in charge of a game of that magnitude.

With all due respect, Pierluigi Collina, as the man who designates the referees, he is very bad. He must apologise to the Colombian people.

I told (FIFA president) Gianni Infantino that if I worked for FIFA I would change everything. It has to be transparent. That's why I didn't go there.

The referee will know a lot about baseball, but he has no idea about football. The Colombian players asked for VAR and he did not give it to them."

Falcao

"To tell you the truth, the process leaves a lot of doubts. He only spoke English, some bias was certain. Through small calls he was pushing us [toward] our goal, that was clear for me.

The referee disturbed us a lot, in the 50-50 plays, he always made the calls in favour of England.

This situation was undermining us. He didn't act with the same criteria for both teams.

When in doubt he always went to the England side. It's shameful that this happens in the round of 16 of a World Cup."

[tweet]1014260549675253760[/tweet]

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Still arguing, even after the final whistle.

Shut up. Get on with the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Maradona

Falcao

Haha. Bless.

Nobody cares what drug-addled nonsense Maradona comes out with, but to address poor Radamel's concerns about the '50/50s'...

The snidey little head-butt on Henderson, in the wall - that's 80/20 Red/Yellow, and he went yellow.
The challenge on Lingard in the box - that's a 50/50, and he's waved it away.
The penalty he gave, was a 100/0, so we'll assume he's not including that one.

What a KNOB.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Maradona

Falcao

View attachment 98326

Trumpesque.

Maradona "A monumental theft". Just wow. I presume he's just gutted that cheating didn't prosper. He's unused to that.

Falcao. Suck it up baby. Suck it up.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Maradona "A monumental theft". .

Oh what, worse than...I don’t know.... deliberately punching the ball into the goal, that kind of monumental theft?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Exactly. He's getting kicked, shoved, grabbed and wrestled every time he gets in a dangerous position (and sometimes when he's not). The point of penalties and free kicks (if you think about it simply) is to award the advantage to the team who are trying to score vs the team that's cheating.

That's what's happened in the three (proper) matches so far. Aside from the fact that we should have had two more penalties against Tunisia.

It's a sign that teams can't live with Kane so they have to stop him by fouling him. Either way, it creates goals. I couldn't give a toss if we don't score another goal from open play provided Kane keeps getting WWE'd and gets up to bang it in.

And do you know what I find strangest about the Kane antics? They are being seen on TV, by the ref and now VAR, but they still do it. No-one ever accused a footballer of having a brain.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

**** me there are some dullards about.

Kane's game is so much more than goals, you could play him in CM and he would still be our best player.

He was fouled for two of the pens, some he won them as well.

Why do we rubbish our world class players, why can't people enjoy them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here