Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jose Izquierdo, Don’t You Dare!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England need to play better than that if they want to win the WC.

Not enough imagination on the ball and too much fear of the opposition. Colombia look very in control during the 1st half of extra time. We shouldn't be getting controlled by teams of a lesser standard. The England defence were constantly putting themselves under pressure with a lot of silly errors. Way too many misplaced passes for anyone to say Dunk shouldn't have been selected.

But nonetheless, very happy England won. When was the last time England turned around a penalty shootout from a losing situation?

Middle finger up to all the England haters! In your face you bunch of unpatriotic scum bags!

Thought we were poor, we are so reliant on set pieces, and although on top as soon as Dier came on we suddenly got a lot worse....

But Southgate has galvanised everyone and people are in danger of believing.......

Kane, Trippier and Maguire amazing World Cup so far.

You watched a different game to me, perhaps with different expectations. I thought it was one of England's best performances at a finals in a very long time. I'm struggling to remember when we were better or more in control of the ball. We controlled the long periods of the game, limited them to barely a sniff of the goal until injury time. We had to deal with a huge amount of gamesmanship and a side willing to get 10 men behind the ball making it difficult to get behind or break them down.

We are reliant on set pieces, but not sure why that is a problem given we are causing so many problems with them.

We're playing from the back, dominating possession, we're working decent positions. Columbia showed so little ambition carving out clear cut chances was always going to be difficult. Considering they needed a goal, I didn't see much threat from them until they tried a wonder strike then we struggle at a corner with everyone in the box. Even after that and looking a bit shaky in the first 5 mins of ET, I thought we went on to dominate that too.

We weren't brilliant, room for improvement, and of course we'll need to be better to go further, but 'poor' is harsh, very harsh, no idea what heights you imagine they can get to if you rate that as poor.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You watched a different game to me, perhaps with different expectations. I thought it was one of England's best performances at a finals in a very long time. I'm struggling to remember when we were better or more in control of the ball. We controlled the long periods of the game, limited them to barely a sniff of the goal until injury time. We had to deal with a huge amount of gamesmanship and a side willing to get 10 men behind the ball making it difficult to get behind or break them down.

We are reliant on set pieces, but not sure why that is a problem given we are causing so many problems with them.

We're playing from the back, dominating possession, we're working decent positions. Columbia showed so little ambition carving out clear cut chances was always going to be difficult. Considering they needed a goal, I didn't see much threat from them until they tried a wonder strike then we struggle at a corner with everyone in the box. Even after that and looking a bit shaky in the first 5 mins of ET, I thought we went on to dominate that too.

We weren't brilliant, room for improvement, and of course we'll need to be better to go further, but 'poor' is harsh, very harsh, no idea what heights you imagine they can get to if you rate that as poor.

Wrong. England were poor. TWO shots on target in 120 minutes of football! That's nowhere near good enough. In particular I was particularly unimpressed with Sterling, Alli and Lingard.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Spot on. It was a professional performance and a mile removed from other recent competitions we've taken part in. We look no better or worse than any other team left in the competition and there's a bit of room for imporvement. If I was Southgate I'd be quietly smug.

Wrong. England were poor. TWO shots on target in 120 minutes of football! That's nowhere near good enough. In particular I was particularly unimpressed with Sterling, Alli and Lingard.

Says the bloke who last posted a positive thread in, oh wait, never, and gets pretty much every post shot down in flames.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

But clearly not as poor as Germany, Argentina, Spain or Portugal eh. It clearly WAS good enough, because we got through. On we go.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Don’t think we should be slagging off the performance. In terms of controlling the game we managed that very well for 80 minutes against a nasty bunch of wankers who did everything possible to make it a scrap. Only criticism I have would be there isn’t that one player who can unlock a compact defence on a regular basis and it causes Kane to come to deep at times. That aside we are QF for the 1st time in 12 years let’s give the lads some support. It’s a young team that can only get better

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Min 01 - Min 80 ENG > COL
Min 81 - Min 105 ENG < COL
Min 105 - Min 120 ENG > COL

England under pressure for the last ten minutes, as any team 1-0 up invariably is, and then a bit of a shambles for the first half of ET. For the rest of the match, entirely in control of the situation. Had Colombia not bundled in the last gasp goal, it would be chalked up as a routine, professional win.

7/10

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Watch the Poland Vs Colombia game again pal.

We played a great team with a very specific game plan.

As for shots, Kane, Alli & Stones all had very good headed chances that weren’t taken. Sweden might not get the luck Colombia so enjoyed.

I was particularly impressed with the movement, energy and threat of Sterling, Alli and Lingard.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Don’t think we should be slagging off the performance. In terms of controlling the game we managed that very well for 80 minutes against a nasty bunch of wankers who did everything possible to make it a scrap. Only criticism I have would be there isn’t that one player who can unlock a compact defence on a regular basis and it causes Kane to come to deep at times. That aside we are QF for the 1st time in 12 years let’s give the lads some support. It’s a young team that can only get better

I agree with this post,

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As this thread is about Jose, I bet he was gutted to not get on again. At least he'll be a little fresher than some returning from the WC.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
As this thread is about Jose, I bet he was gutted to not get on again. At least he'll be a little fresher than some returning from the WC.

Very true. I think he would have caused Trippier more problems cutting inside than the winger who played all game. Benefits us though. Hopefully he’s had an enjoyable experience but will come back raring to go again.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Very true. I think he would have caused Trippier more problems cutting inside than the winger who played all game. Benefits us though. Hopefully he’s had an enjoyable experience but will come back raring to go again.

...and not tarnished with the “dirty bastar**” label.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

How many chances from open play?
You say controlled periods, but Spain also did that and created little.

Sorry it was poor, Colombia were dirty but there was little imagination out there IMO. I really feel we’re getting carried away on the back of wins against teams that we should always beat.

Sweden are well organised and it will be another tough game. Hopefully they’ll be less inclined to consistently break play up by any means.

If we get through on set-pieces great, but surely that should not be our sole reliance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How many chances from open play? You say controlled periods, but Spain also did that and created little.

Sorry it was poor, Colombia were dirty but there was little imagination out there IMO. I really feel we’re getting carried away on the back of wins against teams that we should always beat.

Sweden are well organised and it will be another tough game. Hopefully they’ll be less inclined to consistently break play up by any means.

We'll agree to disagree. Thought our movement was good, plenty of overlapping although Kane coming too deep at times, we caused Columbia plenty of problems, to the extent we won plenty of corners and free kicks creating the situations that we are strong in, and causing rash decision making in defence from them. Why do we want to consider being good from set pieces a negative?

"wins against teams that we should always beat" - there is my answer really though, if that is your start point, then you must have been disappointed with every England performance at tournaments for the last 40 years. Even 1990 we scrapped through the group stage, weren't great against Cameroon or Belgium and had a decent performance against the Germans. I don't know when we've really been at a tournament and come through these games against 'teams we should always beat' with a stunning performance. Seem to remember Italy playing terribly in 06 against Australia to win 1 nil, then win the tournament.

I'm not getting carried away, I think if anything I'm more realistic as I don't see us as a side that should always be beating sides like Columbia. I go into the Sweden game knowing it will be a massive test, not another game we expect to win.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How many chances from open play?
You say controlled periods, but Spain also did that and created little.

If we get through on set-pieces great, but surely that should not be our sole reliance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wonder why people make this comment and what it is actually based upon, knowledge, rankings or an assumption that we should beat anyone bar a handful of teams that are considered (by the person making the claim) better than us (Brazil, etc)

Colombia are ranked 16th in the World by FIFA before the tournament started, Sweden are ranked 24th (the other teams on our side of the draw are Russia at 70th and Croatia who are 20th)

England are ranked equal 12th, so in the rankings, Colombia were just 3 spots below us before the match started so why does that mean that those 3 spots higher in the rankings means we should always beat them? - I don't get where this assumption comes from, is it just because it's purely England and therefore expectations of the team are much higher than they should be and therefore fairly unrealistic

Besides, it knock out cup football and anything can happen in that format as football is anything but predictable, (especially in this tournament)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I always wonder why people make this comment and what it is actually based upon, knowledge, rankings or an assumption that we should beat anyone bar a handful of teams that are considered (by the person making the claim) better than us (Brazil, etc)

Colombia are ranked 16th in the World by FIFA before the tournament started, Sweden are ranked 24th (the other teams on our side of the draw are Russia at 70th and Croatia who are 20th)

England are ranked equal 12th, so in the rankings, Colombia were just 3 spots below us before the match started so why does that mean that those 3 spots higher in the rankings means we should always beat them? - I don't get where this assumption comes from, is it just because it's purely England and therefore expectations of the team are much higher than they should be and therefore fairly unrealistic

Besides, it knock out cup football and anything can happen in that format as football is anything but predictable, (especially in this tournament)

I agree, I wasn't even arguing we were great, just not poor.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

This!

My work Colleague has it's coming home posters up! We were not good enough to beat a Columbia side missing their best player, We didn't create enough opportunities and will lose as soon as we come up against a decent side. We may end up getting to the final before we meet a decent side but we don't have the quality to win it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here