Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sir Glenn

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well, I too witnessed the vast majority of Glenn's Albion performances the first time around, but l'm blowed if l can remember his hom debut. You must have quite a memory!

Edit. Or could this be the onset of Altzheimers?

ha ha! I remember, because (living where I do, north of Firetop Mountain) well... I rarely get to home games, but this was one match I was at, and on that particular occasion Glenn was a rare thing of soccering beauty. A gem, a true gem... no fools gold nor those sweet whispered (drunken) golden night time sweet nothing's that come to nought.

He smote the ruin of Crewe into the grass bank at the theatre of trees that day. To think all these years later he's doing it in the PL, is simply a wonder to behold, enraptured in joy.

I did doubt him this season, or more his weary legs, but the man is a truly maverick finisher... Wizard like... I say we enjoy him while he lasts, like a vintage wine now un-corked, sip and take it all in before the bottle winds of 'upon the barren and flaking windowsill of our sinful memories.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I loved the original Glenn. A hero of the promotion season. It hurt massively when he went to Castle Greyskull. But when he scored against us, he never celebrated. And I knew he felt bad about it.

He's a totally different man to the one who first turned up at Withdean from Rochdale (what a bargain that £400k looks now). I think it was well documented that he had a few issues in his personal life at first, and seemed a bit unsettled. The Glenn Murray you see now is a man happy with his life and his job, and who's determined to squeeze every last bit of joy from however long he has left as a top level footballer. Maybe maturity has done that to him- I'd imagine many footballers must hit thirty and realise that their careers are finite. He's got better and better with age. Either way, he seems a very contented individual these days. Happy home life, career going well- long may it continue. Who'd ever have thought all those years ago that he'd make a great SkySports interviewee?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I've had a better idea than the birthday present. Every single season ticket holder should send him a card. I'd like to see Glenn arrive for training next Tuesday to find 23,000 cards piled up in reception at Lancing.

Non-season ticket holders feel free to join in. It seems only right to honour the Great Man in this way.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I loved the original Glenn. A hero of the promotion season. It hurt massively when he went to Castle Greyskull. But when he scored against us, he never celebrated. And I knew he felt bad about it.

He's a totally different man to the one who first turned up at Withdean from Rochdale (what a bargain that £400k looks now). I think it was well documented that he had a few issues in his personal life at first, and seemed a bit unsettled. The Glenn Murray you see now is a man happy with his life and his job, and who's determined to squeeze every last bit of joy from however long he has left as a top level footballer. Maybe maturity has done that to him- I'd imagine many footballers must hit thirty and realise that their careers are finite. He's got better and better with age. Either way, he seems a very contented individual these days. Happy home life, career going well- long may it continue. Who'd ever have thought all those years ago that he'd make a great SkySports interviewee?

* Snake Mountain

Castle Greyskull is where the good guy He Man lived

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whilst I always loved him in his first spell unlike some, I must say he does seem to outwardly enjoy his football more these days. Must be getting older and appreciating that it doesn't last forever.

In two different games at St Mary's, 9 years apart, he has given me my two most enjoyable away experiences. Bloody love the man.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an aside to all this, can I just take a moment to acknowledge the most CURRENT username on NSC.

Step forward mr [MENTION=12283]GM98[/MENTION]

:thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

He'd be a revelation to presenting the Championship highlights show, whenever he retires, and whatever random channel it'll be on!

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Probably only because he chose to go to Palace. He had other options but Palace was where he wanted to go. If Sellhurst was his only option then you could never argue with it but I get why it is always going to niggle.

Having said that, I wonder where we would be without him now. Redemption Day!!

FFS - move on, life is short. I have Palace mates and they’d literally bit your arm off and more to have Muzza back! Enjoy it while you can - Muzza clearly is!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Going over old ground I know, as we've been here before so many times. I knew 2 senior employees of the club in 2011 including someone very senior. Contemporaneously, they told me that Poyet was arrogant over the Glenn business. Poyet did not warm to Glenn because he was seeking a pay rise to £6,000 from £3,250 per week. To benchmark at that time, CMS and Buckley were signed on far more than that, and Palace were paying Speroni and Ambrose £11,000 per week. Poyet thought Glenn had a damn cheek. He let personal bias cost our Albion. His arrogance emerged for all to see in much later dealings with the Albion and at later clubs.

Yes, I adored the football Poyet gave us in 20 amazing months at Withdean, stunning and to a lesser extent at times in the Championship.

This.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here