Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thomas Delaney

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Actually, I edited my post as the tweet was misleading, it implied he was having a medical but the link was about several players, one of which, a defender, was having the medical.

If, if he does come to the Prem, is still firmly believe we offer him everything he wants

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If, if he does come to the Prem, is still firmly believe we offer him everything he wants

Perhaps most importantly we can offer a greater chance of playing regularly. There's a lot of competition in the Dortmund midfield (Reus, Gotze, Weigl, Sahin, Kagawa, Mahmoud).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He is an ideal signing but anything above £15m is unlikely as we won't spend much more than £50m during the summer and if the new transfer record is going to be set it will be for an attacking player

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
He is an ideal signing but anything above £15m is unlikely as we won't spend much more than £50m during the summer and if the new transfer record is going to be set it will be for an attacking player

not sure i agree with that. having "saved" £10m on Andone, I can't see that the extra £5m for Delaney would seriously challenge that £50m limit you've arrived at...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Interested to know your thinking behind this. Last season we had bids accepted for Janssen and Andone that would have been record fees. There was also the Neto deal and a couple of others that fell through. Feels like we were close to spending a lot more than our actual outlay last season, so why not this season?

mikebha1963

May 13, 2014
not sure i agree with that. having "saved" £10m on Andone, I can't see that the extra £5m for Delaney would seriously challenge that £50m limit you've arrived at...
Think its time to move on unfirtunatly.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I also don't follow your thinking, because:
1, we actually spent a lot more money than predicted last summer, and would have spent considerably more had Andone or Janssen been sealed
2, we've already saved considerable sums in getting a forward for little more than £5m
3, there aren't massive holes in the squad that need filling; what we need is quality, rather than quantity. Unless you can get a cute deal (see Gross, Balogan, Andone) which will probably result in higher wages, this will really cost.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of those websites said:

When Delaney moved from Werder Bremen in 2016 he had better offers from other Bundesliga clubs but wanted a move to Bremen where he was guaranteed a major role as a regular first-team player. This summer is apparently no different, and the 26-year-old wants a move that will benefit his career progression.

So his dream is to play in the Premier League and he's looking for first team football. It feels as though the clubs who finished 5 or 6 places above us should be all over a player like him, but if we get him I think it will be a real statement of intent.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Where did this 50 mil come from and is this also including wages?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

When Delaney moved from Werder Bremen in 2016 he had better offers from other Bundesliga clubs but wanted a move to Bremen where he was guaranteed a major role as a regular first-team player. This summer is apparently no different, and the 26-year-old wants a move that will benefit his career progression.

So his dream is to play in the Premier League and he's looking for first team football. It feels as though the clubs who finished 5 or 6 places above us should be all over a player like him, but if we get him I think it will be a real statement of intent.

I assume Locadia was also looking for first team football. But there are no guarantees with CH.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I also don't follow your thinking, because:
1, we actually spent a lot more money than predicted last summer, and would have spent considerably more had Andone or Janssen been sealed
2, we've already saved considerable sums in getting a forward for little more than £5m
3, there aren't massive holes in the squad that need filling; what we need is quality, rather than quantity. Unless you can get a cute deal (see Gross, Balogan, Andone) which will probably result in higher wages, this will really cost.

There have been several players make the step up from the championship to the premier league and the club have been touted as looking at plenty of championship players in the last 12 months. Also Gross, Balogan & Andone are huge bargains but the latter two show that there are plenty of bargains still available even in today's over inflated market. I expect us to still be looking for an improvement in quality in a few areas and for a bargain along with 1 or 2 big money deals to compliment

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

So his dream is to play in the Premier League and he's looking for first team football. It feels as though the clubs who finished 5 or 6 places above us should be all over a player like him, but if we get him I think it will be a real statement of intent.[/QUOTE

Huddersfield or Cardiff it is then

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Where did this 50 mil come from and is this also including wages?

A pure educated guess on my part. Not many clubs will spend more than £50m in the summer unless they are spending money from player sales. Staying in the premier league brings us an additional revenue of around £100m but Bloom isn't a fool and will spend some on wages and ensuring the club is developing beyond the 1st team while also ensuring the 1st team can compete. £50/60m makes us a sensible business model and helps to ensure we improve

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A pure educated guess on my part. Not many clubs will spend more than £50m in the summer unless they are spending money from player sales. Staying in the premier league brings us an additional revenue of around £100m but Bloom isn't a fool and will spend some on wages and ensuring the club is developing beyond the 1st team while also ensuring the 1st team can compete. £50/60m makes us a sensible business model and helps to ensure we improve

But every time I see any projections about the Albion balance sheet for last season, including [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] they suggest we'll make a small profit of 5-10 million. How does that fit?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

The point I was trying to make is the transfer fee is often the less expensive part of the deal.. Buy a player for 5 mil, but offer him a 50k a week contract for 5 years, you spend an extra 13 mil on wages (or 2.6 mil per year).. Therefore the budget always should include both wages and price..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here