Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well on Nat Rail its saying 17.40 Canc, 17.57 Canc and the 18.10 Canc :eek:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The problem with the rail network here in my view are mainly down to the age of the network, plus the lack of space to put on additional capacity. Many lines in the southern region are hemmed in between urban / sub-urban developments, with little room to add more lines.

We also have a number of bridges and tunnels, that prevent double-decker trains like they have in Europe, and they can't run longer trains due to platform / station length restrictions.

The Brighton mainline is at max capacity at peak times, so it's hardly a surprise when a minor incident can back the entire network up and the effect then radiates out from there.

It would take a serious amount of money / will to fix these fundamental issues. Of all the old lines closed in the past that could be brought back into service, very few are intact and most have been built on to one extent or the other, so for example the Steyning line from Shoreham to London would no longer be viable. The Government would have to embark on a massive program of compulsory purchases just to make the space available.

I know that alternative routes to London (BML2?) were discussed on here in the past, and the consensus from those in the industry seems to be it's not a goer... which is a shame as we need additional lines to London from the south coast, somehow.

Governments that waste money on stupid projects on HS2 instead of putting the cash into developing an alternative to the Croydon and other bottlenecks on the Brighton line and try a futile fight to smash trade unions instead of all working together for the common good is mainly why things are so wrong and have been getting worse

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Taking a risk tonight going up to the O2 Islington for a gig. Bloody hope I can get home ok.

I went out in town last night and was slightly concerned about getting back. To alleviate that I drank heavily and forgot about trains and enjoyed my evening and got home fine. Not saying that'll work tonight but if it doesn't at you'll be pissed!

What pop concert are you going to?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I went out in town last night and was slightly concerned about getting back. To alleviate that I drank heavily and forgot about trains and enjoyed my evening and got home fine. Not saying that'll work tonight but if it doesn't at you'll be pissed!

What pop concert are you going to?

Cheers. Alcohol will be drunk a-plenty :thumbsup:

Going to see a Brighton band called Idle Crooks and Englishmen. My nephew is the drummer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I went out in town last night and was slightly concerned about getting back. To alleviate that I drank heavily and forgot about trains and enjoyed my evening and got home fine.

You just got lucky. Happens sometimes. Try it another night and you'd almost certainly have pissed your pants before you even reached East Croydon.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Cheers. Alcohol will be drunk a-plenty :thumbsup:

Going to see a Brighton band called Idle Crooks and Englishmen. My nephew is the drummer.

Just listened to one of theirs on the youtube...I like! Kinda a cross between Royal Blood and Placebo. Enjoy.

You just got lucky. Happens sometimes. Try it another night and you'd almost certainly have pissed your pants before you even reached East Croydon.

:salute:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
[MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION]

15196035_10155497717784046_8579982274136098196_o.jpg

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thanks Ernest! I will happily buy you some new tyres for your TRICYCLE. I know you probably havent used it recently to buy your TV TIMES with features on Mike Yarwood etc

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
RAIL UNION RMT says that a new emergency notice issued by GTR shows failing Driver Only equipment is causing confusion and delays to services as bosses seek to force through Driver Only Operation (DOO) at any cost.

A new notice issued to train drivers by GTR shows that passengers will have their journeys delayed and cancelled because of failing equipment on DOO on trains.

The notice tells drivers what to do in the event of DOO equipment being “degraded” including in cab train dispatch monitors not working. The instructions demand that the driver secure the train, exit the cab and check the platform is clear before then returning to the train to close the doors. Once the doors are closed drivers then return to the platform for a final check before returning to the driving cab and proceeding.

In the event that there are more than eight carriages, or the whole train is not visible to the driver, the new instruction also demands that drivers walk down the length of the train on the platform closing doors as they go before returning to the front of the train.

MPs have tabled questions in parliament (see below) demanding to know how many delays or cancellations have been caused by faulty rolling stock.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:

“These instructions are the latest example of the chaotic roll out of Driver Only Operation but also are yet another blow to the credibility of GTR’s argument they are introducing DOO to reduce delays.

“The company needs to stop digging themselves further into a hole in their bid to force through Driver Only Operation across their operations.The fact is if there was a conductor on these services there would be no need to for the driver to have to get off the train.”

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
RAIL UNION RMT says that a new emergency notice issued by GTR shows failing Driver Only equipment is causing confusion and delays to services as bosses seek to force through Driver Only Operation (DOO) at any cost.

A new notice issued to train drivers by GTR shows that passengers will have their journeys delayed and cancelled because of failing equipment on DOO on trains.

The notice tells drivers what to do in the event of DOO equipment being “degraded” including in cab train dispatch monitors not working. The instructions demand that the driver secure the train, exit the cab and check the platform is clear before then returning to the train to close the doors. Once the doors are closed drivers then return to the platform for a final check before returning to the driving cab and proceeding.

In the event that there are more than eight carriages, or the whole train is not visible to the driver, the new instruction also demands that drivers walk down the length of the train on the platform closing doors as they go before returning to the front of the train.

MPs have tabled questions in parliament (see below) demanding to know how many delays or cancellations have been caused by faulty rolling stock.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:

“These instructions are the latest example of the chaotic roll out of Driver Only Operation but also are yet another blow to the credibility of GTR’s argument they are introducing DOO to reduce delays.

“The company needs to stop digging themselves further into a hole in their bid to force through Driver Only Operation across their operations.The fact is if there was a conductor on these services there would be no need to for the driver to have to get off the train.”

There will be a second staff member on the train! Southern have said this....Next....

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Apart from Southern saying they can remove the second member of staff at short notice if they feel like it?

Well I haven't seen that or the context it was written in...So as I have said, I have no reason to disbelieve it...

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Apart from Southern saying they can remove the second member of staff at short notice if they feel like it?

Yes, in order to prevent a service from being cancelled. This is quite a useful way to help commuters, you know, get home to see their families before children go to bed etc.

So Ernest's argument above about DOO not helping delays doesn't add up.

DOO in some circumstances may lead to a delay of a couple of minutes if a driver has to do this procedure. Whereas currently if a train crew is not available the whole train can't run. Which is worse?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Well I haven't seen that or the context it was written in...So as I have said, I have no reason to disbelieve it...

I can tell you I've driven a fair few now without a obs or guard on the back. Can only imagine this will happen more often after the new year.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I can tell you I've driven a fair few now without a obs or guard on the back. Can only imagine this will happen more often after the new year.

But that is pure speculation.... If Southern have said there will be 2 people on the train and that turns out to be lies...Then is the time to take industrial action isn't it?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

And how many times has a train been cancelled due to unavailable obs/guard? The answer has to be a balance, not just one-sided anecdotal evidence.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And how many times has a train been cancelled due to unavailable obs/guard? The answer has to be a balance, not just one-sided anecdotal evidence.

Loads. Sometimes not their own fault due to a **** up somewhere else. Eg signal failure in Worthing means guard cant get to London etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here