Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brazil v Switzerland

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To each his own I guess. I figure I’d prefer to judge someone over four years than four games.

Why? When we’re talking about the World Cup? Rooney wasn’t cut that slack, nor was Ronaldo? Judging a player in the World Cup is based on, er, their WC performances surely? Still, each to their own I guess...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Add me to the list of people who consider that a perfectly valid Swiss goal. That nudge in the back was trivial, it wasn't like the striker was all arms and elbows all over the defender, and I also felt the defender made an absolute meal of the fairly minimal push in the back.

Also, Brazil could help themselves by building their side around Coutinho, not the decent but chronically overrated Neymar.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Add me to the list of people who consider that a perfectly valid Swiss goal. That nudge in the back was trivial, it wasn't like the striker was all arms and elbows all over the defender, and I also felt the defender made an absolute meal of the fairly minimal push in the back.

Exactly the opposite IMO.

The push wasn't very strong (thus the defender didn't actually react much) but it was PERFECTLY TIMED, just as he was about to push off the ground. Soft as ****, but clever, and technically it absolutely WAS a foul. Can't believe anyone could argue otherwise.

Glad (but surprised) it stood though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly the opposite IMO.

The push wasn't very strong (thus the defender didn't actually react much) but it was PERFECTLY TIMED, just as he was about to push off the ground. Soft as ****, but clever, and technically it absolutely WAS a foul. Can't believe anyone could argue otherwise.

Glad (but surprised) it stood though.

He made a meal of it AFTER the goal was awarded, not at the time I agree. Nothing "clever" about the push though IMO, and we've all see far worse go unpunished in the penalty box.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He made a meal of it AFTER the goal was awarded, not at the time I agree. Nothing "clever" about the push though IMO, and we've all see far worse go unpunished in the penalty box.

That was my point - had he thrown his arms up all dramatic, at the time of the push, the ref almost certainly WOULD have either ruled it out 'live', or at least referred it to the VAR himself. As it was his lack of reaction allowed the VAR refs (understandably but IMO incorrectly) to conclude that he hadn't been overly affected by the contact, and thus that the on-field ref had NOT made a CAOE.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
We will have to agree to disagree I think. I’d be pretty miffed if a game was stopped every time there was contact of a similar nature.
You can't really disagree with the wording of the law as that's what it is.

If you disagree with the interpretation that's a different thing and there are certainly pushes that happen all the time that are considered part of the game. The VAR must have decided that it wasn't an obvious mistake on the part of the ref and whilst I think it was a foul, I also agree that it wasn't so clear that the ref's decision should be overturned. I suspect that if the referee had given the foul after the goal had been scored, the VAR would have stayed with the ref as well - the equivalent of umpire's call in cricket.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can't really disagree with the wording of the law as that's what it is.

If you disagree with the interpretation that's a different thing and there are certainly pushes that happen all the time that are considered part of the game. The VAR must have decided that it wasn't an obvious mistake on the part of the ref and whilst I think it was a foul, I also agree that it wasn't so clear that the ref's decision should be overturned. I suspect that if the referee had given the foul after the goal had been scored, the VAR would have stayed with the ref as well - the equivalent of umpire's call in cricket.

I’m not disagreeing with the wording.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's because they are TV pundits and the first question asked at interview for that job is 'Are you prepared to slavishly worship every generation of Brazilian footballers because of something their predecessors were in 1970?'

Keane, love or hate him, would not be swayed by any narrative. He wouldn’t give a toss about slagging off Brazil or anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here