Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Help! Problems with a Brighton parking machine

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I am incandescent.

My usual kerbside ticket dispenser in Chester Terrace has been erratic in issuing tickets lately. I have often had to wait ages after finishing the payment process and on one occasion nothing had emerged after ten minutes.

Last month, my wife had to pick up the children from Balfour School and, only having ten minutes to spare, avoided the Chester Terrace meter and parked in Preston Drove. Money in, "payment accepted", “wait for ticket”. And wait. And wait. Nothing. Still nothing. She left a note explaining and dashed off, now late, to the school gates.

A penalty notice was waiting for her. We appealed.

The appeal has just been turned down. It is our responsibility, apparently, to display a ticket even if its the machine’s fault one wasn’t issued and even if there is non-arguable evidence - not disputed by the council - that we paid for it.

We should have gone off to find another machine and paid again and no explanation is good enough it seems.

We’re appealing further of course (meanwhile paying the 70 quid) but I just wondered if anyone else had had problems with Brighton meters, of this or any other kind.

I am not going to let these b******* grind me down. Anecdotes or advice appreciated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sure one of the resident NSC experts (who always give fantastic advice) will be along shortly.........sounds like one that should get binned (so on that basis don’t pay it yet ?)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
2 weeks ago we were coming past wild park when a car in front started driving at a snail's pace, drove around it using the bus lane, camera on pole bottom of coldean lane caught us, video evidence shows the cars behind us undertaking it too! Hopefully we all appeal

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
2 weeks ago we were coming past wild park when a car in front started driving at a snail's pace, drove around it using the bus lane, camera on pole bottom of coldean lane caught us, video evidence shows the cars behind us undertaking it too! Hopefully we all appeal

Good luck with that one, I can understand why you did it but you actually did 2 things wrong, undertaking, and driving in a bus lane.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Good luck with that one, I can understand why you did it but you actually did 2 things wrong, undertaking, and driving in a bus lane.
Yeah I think we have no chance but worth a shot saying we were all avoiding an accident [emoji6]

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Yeah I think we have no chance but worth a shot saying we were all avoiding an accident [emoji6]

Agree no chance, can you remember the one in the Argus couple of years ago when the driver pulled into bus lane to let ambulance pass. Must admit ambulance would normally be in bus lane but photo showed it passing on outside. Still got turned down on appeal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Get the parking app.

40 per cent council surcharge on top of ticket for the privilege of using it to pick up aforementioned children? (And we live eight miles from the school in case anyone thinks we should walk.) A month or so ago we simply got a message 'app not working for this location' when attempting to use it.

The point surely is that if the council offer a card facility for buying tickets it is up to them to keep it working.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
40 per cent council surcharge on top of ticket for the privilege of using it to pick up aforementioned children? (And we live eight miles from the school in case anyone thinks we should walk.) A month or so ago we simply got a message 'app not working for this location' when attempting to use it.

The point surely is that if the council offer a card facility for buying tickets it is up to them to keep it working.

If you paid by card surely you can produce evidence that it was paid and the parking ombudsman will agree your appeal.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Agree no chance, can you remember the one in the Argus couple of years ago when the driver pulled into bus lane to let ambulance pass. Must admit ambulance would normally be in bus lane but photo showed it passing on outside. Still got turned down on appeal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was that on the A259 between Saltdean and Rottingdean?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If you paid by card surely you can produce evidence that it was paid and the parking ombudsman will agree your appeal.

Yes, they accept I paid and do not deny that the machine failed to issue a ticket when the payment went through. They say I should have found another machine and paid again and have rejected my appeal on the basis that I didn't display the ticket their machine didn't produce. The ombudsman surely calls but what sort of council is this?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes one I remember

The driver of the car didn't have much choice.
She was driving towards Rottingdean from Saltdean, the ambulance came up the A259 from Rottingdean lights and drove into the other lane to overtake.
If the car driver hadn't driven into the bus lane ,she would have either had a head on with the ambulance, or caused the ambulance to stop.

Very unfair if she got fined.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes, they accept I paid and do not deny that the machine failed to issue a ticket when the payment went through. They say I should have found another machine and paid again and have rejected my appeal on the basis that I didn't display the ticket their machine didn't produce. The ombudsman surely calls but what sort of council is this?

You paid and they accept you paid - that should be it. You entered into a contract for a service, paid for it and they accept you paid for it. End of, surely.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
She was driving towards Rottingdean from Saltdean, the ambulance came up the A259 from Rottingdean lights and drove into the other lane to overtake.
If the car driver hadn't driven into the bus lane ,she would have either had a head on with the ambulance, or caused the ambulance to stop.

I'd go to prison before they got any money if that was me!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I think this was the story being referred to on this thread. Idiotic Council rejected the appeal but she took it further and her appeal was upheld.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/6...through-receives-fine-Brighton-appeal-success

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Let me clear something up:

We’re appealing further of course (meanwhile paying the 70 quid)

NONONONONO.

And more NO.

I hope I am in time to stop you thinking you can pay and appeal, because you cannot. Also, why would you plan to rush and pay £70, seeing as if you lost this at adjudication (and you won't) you'd be paying...£70...!

What happens with Council PCNS is this:

- the first challenge goes to the company that issues the PCNs for the Council, which explains why first challenges are routinely turned down. And they dangle the carrot of the 'discount' (aka bribe) and like lemmings, people rush to pay up and grab the offer...doh!

- as long as you/your wife are the registered keeper (not a company car), wait for the Notice to Owner and repeat the same appeal.

- this time, the Council have to handle the appeal and if they reject, and I think they will not,

- you should win this at adjudication, no loopholes, just on the facts alone.

I have a Council PCN at the moment as well, different circs but I will win it. Spoke to the CEO, had a nice chat in fact, about online forums and all the stuff I post about here, and he agreed I'll win!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think this was the story being referred to on this thread. Idiotic Council rejected the appeal but she took it further and her appeal was upheld.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/6...through-receives-fine-Brighton-appeal-success

Yes that must be the one, thanks for the link. My mistake it was a police car, not an ambulance.
I'm glad she won the appeal, good news.

I'm sure it would have been more dangerous for the police car to cross from the left lane, across the middle lane and into the bus lane.
I wonder who ties the shoelaces of the person that suggested that. :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here