Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Have you ever passed out?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
After years of cuts and scratches I just stuck a screwdriver into my hand and along came a blackout, first time ever and really horrid experience [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Not that I can remember

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
My wife passed out at a Springsteen gig in Hyde Park whe everyone rushed the stage. Proper eyes rolled back, only the whites on display despite her eyes being wide open and collapsed in a heap amongst everyone’s legs. Genuinely scary moment.

The one thing that struck me was just how hard it was to lift a dead weight of just 8st. It took three of us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was both a faint and a blackout.

A faint is always a blackout but a blackout is not always a faint.

Not all blackouts are faints, but in this case it was.

What is the difference between blacking out and passing out?

Answer: Blacking out is a loss of memory - not being able to remember what happened because your brain has lost the ability to form new memories due to intoxication. Passing out is losing consciousness and not being able to be awakened.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
4aed403df80e304dd72af606669060a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Has your employer given you sufficient training to handle a screwdriver?

Where there is blame there’s a claim.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Quite a few times. I've been knocked out playing rugby and football. I passed out after a cycling workout and have twice passed out in the street, once outside Buck House. Coppers had to call an ambulance for me

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yep, caused by a medical accident that took 24 hours to be discovered.

Was the lung-related explosion?!

I blacked out after landing on my head when playing football, I lost my footing when crossing a ball and landed flat on the back of my head. I was out for a few seconds and was a bit of a vegetable afterwards, I slept for about 2 days afterwards which suggests it was a concussion. I spoke to a doctor friend about it a little while ago and they were generally appalled that I didn't seek any medical advice considering the situation and what caused it.

The game, of course, carried on around me!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
What is the difference between blacking out and passing out?

Answer: Blacking out is a loss of memory - not being able to remember what happened because your brain has lost the ability to form new memories due to intoxication. Passing out is losing consciousness and not being able to be awakened.

Blackout is not a formal medical term, but colloquially it is used to describe a temporary loss of consciousness.

Some sources:

NICE (massive clinical guidance organisation): https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg109/ifp/chapter/initial-assessment
Harvard Medical School: https://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/why-fainting-happens-and-how-to-nip-it-in-the-bud
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Yep.

I had a collapsed lung (spontaneous tension pneumothorax) which they tried to fix by aspirating it, only to cause a full haemothorax which sent my blood pressure all over the place.

Took 24 hours to find out what they'd done, during which my BP was out of whack enough that going from laying down to sitting up was enough to put me out for quite a few counts.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I blacked out after landing on my head when playing football, I lost my footing when crossing a ball and landed flat on the back of my head. I was out for a few seconds and was a bit of a vegetable afterwards, I slept for about 2 days afterwards which suggests it was a concussion. I spoke to a doctor friend about it a little while ago and they were generally appalled that I didn't seek any medical advice considering the situation and what caused it.

The game, of course, carried on around me!

You were concussed and not able to think straight it was the other people that should have got some medical help for you.

I got knocked out at secondary school and they made sure I stayed in overnight despite my insistance I was going to go home. There is always the chance with a head trauma that it could go pear shaped very quickly. I wasnt really myself for a couple of days after.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Only once.

I got kicked in the knee by a horse in the parade ring at Bath racecourse. Bust my knee cap. I think it was the shock rather than the pain, although it did smart a little.

:lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On the train to the Amex. Had suffered from a particularly bad gutrot the previous couple of days, so hadn’t eaten anything. Felt myself feeling a bit sleepy as we left Lewes, next thing was lying on the train floor. Happened again 2 mins later. Only time I’ve had one of those double-sized mars bars at the ground to sort out my blood/sugar.

Jan 30, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here