Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Safe Standing at the AMEX

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Until the law is changed all clubs should be compelled to adhere to the existing law and not allow standing. with sanctions made against offending clubs supporters.

So you wish to follow the unenforceable sanction which the government / SGSA would like to impose, against the advice of safety officers up and down the country? Got you.

By the way, it's not against the law to stand at football matches. Even in the Premier League.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The government - or rather, the SGSA - won't cite Celtic or Dortmund as satisfactory examples of this system working, because they're not in England and the culture is different.

They have yet to provide any evidence to back up this assertion.

They could always go and watch a lower league match, and maybe realise that even terracing is safe!

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
The reasons are a bit of a nonsense, but having gone to the WSL for beambacks when people can drink beer in the stands, it just gets to be a pain in the arse. You get a non-stop stream of people squeezing past to fetch beers, then squeezing past again to go for a piss. The idea of it is better than the reality.

And gawd help everyone around if we score when people are nursing a full pint.

Would concur with this. As anybody who has been to a MLB game would attest, it is a constant up and down, up and down, up and f ing down....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am going against my principals of replying to Mr I know it all but if it is not against the law why do clubs need to debate having a safe standing area. if they want it just do it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They could always go and watch a lower league match, and maybe realise that even terracing is safe!

YOU know this. I know this. EVERYONE on here knows this.

But this is a government which doesn't deal in evidence from experts or from those who've experienced these things, largely.

They don't even consider that which is in place at Celtic, Dortmund etc. - the very thing the clubs are asking to trial - represents evidence either.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

This.

I'll NEVER get my head round why its deemed perfectly safe to stand on a terrace if you are watching a club playing in L1 or L2 (or below), but not if you're watching a club playing in the Championship or PL.

Some clubs higher up will have a greater number of fans attending of course, but its not all that unusual to see PACKED terraces in the lower leagues. Just have a look when the Playoffs come round. And how many incidents of injury or death have been recorded in this country due to lower league terracing, considering the hundreds, thousands, millions of fans who attend those games year in, year out ?

The governments stance on this is an utter nonsense.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am going against my principals of replying to Mr I know it all but if it is not against the law why do clubs need to debate having a safe standing area. if they want it just do it.

Standing in an all seater football stadium is against the Ground Regulations and therefore the Safety Certificate - it's not against the law. You can't be arrested for it. The worse that can happen is the club will have you removed and possibly revoke their invite for you to attend matches.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Once you get too old to stand at away games, stop going!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

So I’ve been supporting my team for 30 years and now you tell me to stop just because some idiots want to stand even though they have a seat - brilliant! I’m actually not that old but have had multiple back operations so physically struggle to stand for long periods.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Just change the law regarding allowing standing.. That way the club wouldn't have to spend a fortune installing safe standing but state that 1 or 2 blocks will allow standing(pretty much how most clubs operate anyway).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The reasons are a bit of a nonsense, but having gone to the WSL for beambacks when people can drink beer in the stands, it just gets to be a pain in the arse. You get a non-stop stream of people squeezing past to fetch beers, then squeezing past again to go for a piss. The idea of it is better than the reality.

And gawd help everyone around if we score when people are nursing a full pint.

To be honest, I did it for the Palace game the other week and it was nowhere near as bad as where I normally sit in the WSU but I guess it depends where you sit.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So I’ve been supporting my team for 30 years and now you tell me to stop just because some idiots want to stand even though they have a seat - brilliant! I’m actually not that old but have had multiple back operations so physically struggle to stand for long periods.
Well there should be a designated place for disabilities..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think Barber has come out and sad he is against it, the whole time this is his stance I dont think we would have a chance.

Personally I am in the WSU so will never see this as an option there, however I think it should be a consideration for the North.

Agree 100%. Burnley? Or do you think going all the way - Glasgow Rangers?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
But I’m not disabled in any way. Why do you think when buying a seat for a match you should not be allowed to sit in it?
Coz everyone else wants to stand

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
What i just can't get my head around is that "Unsafe standing " at every away end in the Country is being allowed, by the turning of a blind eye. The government should actually insist on "Safe standing ".....as a matter of urgency for the away end at alseater stadiums,on the grounds of "Health and Safety " !!!

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Coz everyone else wants to stand

But very few actually do want to stand and instead of going to the back of the stand and not affecting the rest they seemingly always go to the front! Until SAFE standing comes in, anyone standing should be banned!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well there should be a designated place for disabilities..

There is. I am not disabled but I cannot stand throughout a match. I have sent the club a copy of my consultant's letter to show them my difficulties so I now get a seat with the ambulant disabled.

Unless you would like all us oldies euthanised at 65.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here