Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red (and appeal)

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Whether instinctive or not, the handball was deliberate. It was a shot at goal, therefore a goal scoring opportunity.

It's a penalty (the suggestions otherwise are slightly comical). Whether it's a red or not is down to the rules and not sympathy for the player's intentions.

The ban won't be increased if we appeal, but I think it's going nowhere other than the original verdict. Referees can't have too much subjectivity in interpreting rules for obvious reason.

Appeals are ruled in the same way as Cricket. Marginal decisions stay with the referee. It won't be overturned.

If anything, I thought Pocognoli's card was the debatable one.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I'm not sure exactly what the rules state. But thinking along the lines of 'denying a clear goal scoring opportunity', if he hadnt handled, the ball would have hit him square in the face. May be clutching at straws but do we have a case on that?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I assume if we appeal now, he can play vs Cardiff and definitely miss the cup game if our appeal is unsuccessful.
We run the risk of him missing away Huddesfield if the FA think it's a frivolous appeal.

It's not a frivolous appeal in my eyes so definitely worth the appeal.

I'd rather have Glenn available for the Cardiff game, where they are likely to park the bus, than away Huddersfield, where hopefully Sam and Hemed can do the job necessary.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He also said Stephens was correctly sent off, so shows he's a clueless prick.

Thought it was correct myself.

Edit.
Any transfer news #sheebointheknow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely one for opinions... #sheeboITK will be back next week - [MENTION=24838]Bladders[/MENTION] has been shocking with his info this window I may add - and that SINGING thread seems to have been TAKAN OVAR by MOOREONS talking SEREOUSLY! #NotWhatTheThreadFor #InsideInfo #SheeboITK

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If that is the case I am sorry as I was only relaying what somebody said in the concourse after the game and as you say they may have added their bit to it about the club appealing as a follow on from him saying it wasnt a red card offense. I dont know as I dont use twitter I have enough trouble on here. Perhaps I should have covered myself and said apparently.

It's fine matey I just thought that was an odd thing (the appeal bit) for an ex ref to suggest. Especially as he'll have a lot of friends who are on the panel / FA etc etc. He probably thinks we should appeal it and yes I think we should too. He did indeed say it wasn't a red for him though that bit is correct...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He also said Stephens was correctly sent off, so shows he's a clueless prick.

Thought it was correct myself.

Edit.
Any transfer news #sheebointheknow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely one for opinions... #sheeboITK will be back next week - [MENTION=24838]Bladders[/MENTION] has been shocking with his info this window I may add - and that SINGING thread seems to have been TAKAN OVAR by MOOREONS talking SEREOUSLY! #NotWhatTheThreadFor #InsideInfo #SheeboITK

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I wasn't even talking about the handball, as you'll see if you read what I was replying too.
Oops...and it was me that you were replying to:blush:...my point about the keeper is still valid - if a defender fouled an attacker through on goal it would be a red (as long as it wasn't a genuine attempt to play the ball in the penalty area as you point out) despite the keeper being in place to save any shot. Where the keeper is is largely (but not totally) irrelevant when it comes to deciding on whether a goal scoring opportunity has been denied.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I assume if we appeal now, he can play vs Cardiff and definitely miss the cup game if our appeal is unsuccessful.
We run the risk of him missing away Huddesfield if the FA think it's a frivolous appeal.

It's not a frivolous appeal in my eyes so definitely worth the appeal.

I'd rather have Glenn available for the Cardiff game, where they are likely to park the bus, than away Huddersfield, where hopefully Sam and Hemed can do the job necessary.

It depends how prompt the FA are. You do, sometimes, hear that they've heard an appeal on the Monday, but it seems rare.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Appeal hearing taking place on Monday.

I assume the FA have fast tracked this so they can throw it out in time for Cardiff and not wait until after where he'd only miss the cup game if it was upheld and no extra game given. I swear it isn't this quick usually? Another notch on my FA hate us conspiracy theory!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Indeed. It's being made out like his hands were by his side, and he raised them to stop the ball - that's not what happened. He already had his hand in front of him - the choice he was faced with was:
a) get my hands out of the way and take it in the face
b) not get smashed in the face

With the amount of time he had to think, there's no time to make the choice properly, so he went with self preservation. IMO it should be a penalty, as while he couldn't help it, his arms shouldn't be there in the first place.
But I don't think it should be a red card, because it didn't stop a goal, it just stopped him getting smashed in the face.

Absolutely. The ref would say that if he did not want to get hit in the face, then get out of the way, and thus to put your hand up invites a penalty decision, even if he was only protecting himself, as probably everyone else would have done in the split-second moment. But he was not trying to gain an unfair advantage, and thus for me the red card was unwarranted.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You have to take into account just how hard that shot was hit. Looks bad in super slow motion back but at full speed anyone would do the same. Could be overturned.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is a deliberate hand ball, however. Goal scoring chance. Unfortunate 'red'. Instinctive, yes, but dems doz rules, alas. Just pleased it's only one game. Thought it was three.

Yep me too. I thought a straight red card automatically invoked a three game ban, irrespective of the reason.

Obviously I was wrong.

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Was hand to ball however it's ball to hand in reality,straight red but merely a self defensive reaction,holding little hope for the appeal (if any ? ),it's for me one we have to take,justice (twice) served within moments with the penalty saves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here