Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Help please - my HP Deskjet 3630 printer won't print in colour.

The preferences are set to colour, the printer test prints in colour and there is plenty of ink in both cartriges, black and colour.

But when I try to print a Word doc it only prints in greyscale, not coulour.

Anybody else had this problem? Lots of people on the internet seem to have had it but I can't see any solution, or at least, not one I can understand!

I've tried printing from the printer app but when I navigate to the document foldeer it only displays .pdf files even though there are several other Word docs in that file.

The drop down arrow is set to all documents but when I click on that to find other options the only one is .pdf files

I have an important meeting on Tuesdaythat I need to print a colour presentation for.

Any help much appreciated :cheers:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The preferences are set to colour, the printer test prints in colour and there is plenty of ink in both cartriges, black and colour.

But when I try to print a Word doc it only prints in greyscale, not coulour.

Anybody else had this problem? Lots of people on the internet seem to have had it but I can't see any solution, or at least, not one I can understand!

I've tried printing from the printer app but when I navigate to the document foldeer it only displays .pdf files even though there are several other Word docs in that file.

The drop down arrow is set to all documents but when I click on that to find other options the only one is .pdf files

I have an important meeting on Tuesdaythat I need to print a colour presentation for.

Any help much appreciated :cheers:

Presumably it's set to colour within the print setting within Word itself as well?

If you're using the 32-bit version of Office, you could try downloading the 64-bit version to see if it makes a difference.

Or email it to yourself and print direct from web. Or print as PDF (save as PDF from Word).

Presumably it's set to colour within the print setting within Word itself as well?

If you're using the 32-bit version of Office, you could try downloading the 64-bit version to see if it makes a difference.

Or email it to yourself and print direct from web. Or print as PDF (save as PDF from Word).

Didn't know there were print settings in Word! :dunce: I'll check now.

When you click 'Print' go to 'Printer Properties'.

Done that and it's already set to colour but still prints in greyscale.

I saved the Word document as a .pdf and at least my printer app found the document, the preview appeared in colour but it still printed in grey.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Done that and it's already set to colour but still prints in greyscale.

I saved the Word document as a .pdf and at least my printer app found the document, the preview appeared in colour but it still printed in grey.

So it's a problem with your printer more generally, rather than Word itself. So presumably anything else you print, e.g. directly printing a webpage, will also print in greyscale.

Are the preferences set in the app you're using? I never use these kind of apps.

You can try and adjust the preferences of the specific printer direct from Windows Settings.

Or you could try uninstalling the printer and downloading the drivers again direct from the HP website. Instead of the software, you can try downloading just the print drivers themselves.

Yoda

English & European
How about in the Advanced Options? What is the Grayscale set to?
printer.PNG

I lied!!

I just checked and the test page did NOT print in colour even though coulour is selected in preferences. The coulour cartridge is fairly low but I haven't had any warning. Plus if it was running out presumably it would still print in colour if a bit streaky or faded?
Would it be worth buying a new colour cartridge and see if that does the job?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I lied!!

I just checked and the test page did NOT print in colour even though coulour is selected in preferences. The coulour cartridge is fairly low but I haven't had any warning. Plus if it was running out presumably it would still print in colour if a bit streaky or faded?
Would it be worth buying a new colour cartridge and see if that does the job?

If you haven't used your printer for a while then the cartridges have a tendancy to block with dry ink in the cartridge head. Boil a kettle and as it is boiling, carefully hold the head of the cartridge over the steam for 5 - 10 seconds. Using some tissue wipe the head/nozzle. A trace of colour should appear on the tissue if there is any ink left. Pop cartridge back into printer and print a test page to see if the head has been unblocked.

If you haven't used your printer for a while then the cartridges have a tendancy to block with dry ink in the cartridge head. Boil a kettle and as it is boiling, carefully hold the head of the cartridge over the steam for 5 - 10 seconds. Using some tissue wipe the head/nozzle. A trace of colour should appear on the tissue if there is any ink left. Pop cartridge back into printer and print a test page to see if the head has been unblocked.

Thanks, I tried this, there's definitely ink in the cartridge

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here