Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The definition of a World Class Player

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It’s a very subjective term and one that is banded around too often

But I’d say if you’re widely considered to be in the best 2 or 3 in your role in the world then that puts you in that category

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Franco Baresi was one of the greatest tacklers, Jan Molby one of the greatest passers of a ball and Casper Ankergren the greatest time-waster the game has ever seen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We signed Foster as a CF and I was under the impression from Mark himself that he played a large number of games for Liverpool in midfield but I wouldnt argue as I have never liked Liverpool since they sneaked a draw at The Goldstone.in the early 60s.

You mean that 0-0 draw in 1961-62 when we were the first team to take a point off the team that won the league by a comfortable margin of eight points, with a goal difference of +56?
I remember that as being a bloody good result for us..........

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We signed Foster as a CF and I was under the impression from Mark himself that he played a large number of games for Liverpool in midfield but I wouldnt argue as I have never liked Liverpool since they sneaked a draw at The Goldstone.in the early 60s.

We did not sign him as a CF he was converted to a CB by Ian St John before he ever played in the league when still at Pompey and St John was his manager.

Mark played very little for Liverpool in midfield and was noted mainly for his partnership with Hansen.

Don't allow facts to get in way.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On Mark Lawrenson which was his best position as CB alongside a player like Foster as he was for us or in midfield where he played most games for Liverpool.
He played quite a bit in midfield for us when we were desperately trying to survive in the First Division; he played midfield when we had a 17 year old Gary Stephens playing at CB alongside an old war-horse we acquired from Blackpool reserves, Peter Suddaby. Wonderful days of survival against all odds! At Liverpool he was a CB - and one of the best. Hansen and Lawrenson remains one of the all-time great CB partnerships.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Sadly, it was just that. Wrong time, wrong place.

I can't find the squad for the Dartford game but there is a match report for the following tie against Oxford and this was the team:

Worthing: Dovey, Flood, Aitken, Raysnford, Cox, Lelliott, Dove, Gill (Barnard, 71′), Foreman, Cornwell, Edmonds.

https://worthingfc.com/2018/02/15/report-oxford-united-4-0-worthing/

There's also a fantastic news archive of the build up to the game featuring an interview with Barry Lloyd about his job as the bar manager and an interview with Ted Burrough who was 81 years old at the time and had been supporting Worthing since 1906. That's an incredible piece of local football history.

https://www.facebook.com/WorthingFC/videos/2300760103283518/

That’s stirred a few memories as Mike Cornwell is one of my best mates and I played alongside Mick Edmonds for Hove Boys

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember Usain Bolt talking about elite athletes and saying how they have to have the technical, physical and mental ability to repeatedly perform and influence at the highest level no matter what the circumstances or where in the world they are. This makes sense to me and something I remember when considering world class football players. I also think it’s a case-by-case judgement and difficult to specify a definitive rule. In football the highest level is the business end of the Champions League and International tournaments. If a player can repeatedly shape and influence these games I’d say they’re world class.

As an aside there’s been lots of previous discussion on this site about Wayne Rooney’s class. In my mind he doesn’t satisfy the above criteria. Yes he has a champions league winners medal but I don’t recall him repeatedly influencing and shaping many, if any, games. Someone like Zinidane Zidine does however. As for Lawrenson I can’t recall the finer detail of how he performed at Liverpool. Can someone who does know the details apply this theory for me?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I remember Usain Bolt talking about elite athletes and saying how they have to have the technical, physical and mental ability to repeatedly perform and influence at the highest level no matter what the circumstances or where in the world they are. This makes sense to me and something I remember when considering world class football players. I also think it’s a case-by-case judgement and difficult to specify a definitive rule. In football the highest level is the business end of the Champions League and International tournaments. If a player can repeatedly shape and influence these games I’d say they’re world class.

As an aside there’s been lots of previous discussion on this site about Wayne Rooney’s class. In my mind he doesn’t satisfy the above criteria. Yes he has a champions league winners medal but I don’t recall him repeatedly influencing and shaping many, if any, games. Someone like Zinidane Zidine does however. As for Lawrenson I can’t recall the finer detail of how he performed at Liverpool. Can someone who does know the details apply this theory for me?

One word Silk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Rooney at his best was definitely one of the best players in the world at that time, which surely makes him world class ( at that time)?

Zidane at his best was one of the best players ever, the level above world class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here