Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Who will be our next Prime Minister?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Would it still not have been a "fair democratic vote" if you had won?

Yes. Should never have been a vote in the first place. The general public are not qualified to decide matters like this. Democracy needs to take a back seat while Brexit is reversed and the country recovers.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Quite honestly who would be mad enough to want her job ?

Plenty.

JRM, Gove & Bojo to name but three. I think they’ll be at least a dozen names. It’s all about having the power to deliver their type of Brexit.
I’d want a woman again and think that Justine Greening or Anna Soubry would solve Brexit to the best benefit of the U.K. economy (and my pocket).

May will survive though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Some snotty piece of Tory shite that none of us have even heard of yet. TBH (best of a bad lot) would prefer to stick with TM, who at least is trying to deliver Brexit, as per the majority vote in the referendum.

:thumbsup:

Talking more sense than she ever has (or than the rest of her party)..the last month ive even started to feel a modicum of sympathy for her and ive no affiliation to any party currently

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whoever it is, it needs to be a hard-line Brexiteer. With any new deal then put to parliament, I don't see how this isn't the best way out. Get a committed Brexiteer in charge, let them negotiate as they see fit and if the deal they negotiate is absolute shite then there is no hiding place. If it's a good deal, then hats off to them.

If the Tories genuinely have the country's best interests at heart, then can they just make sure it ISN'T one of the gutless Brexiteers who have sloped off in the past two years rather than actually fronted up to the challenge for the good of the nation.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don’t think it matters who is prime minister - the square peg of Ireland will not fit into the round hole of Brexit. There is no satisfactory solution. We have a divided parliament and a divided nation. A leadership election is meaningless and irrelevant.
I have to say that the only person coming out of this with any dignity is May - I can’t recall a more resilient individual under so much pressure. Puts some jobs and salaries into perspective.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Whoever it is, it needs to be a hard-line Brexiteer. With any new deal then put to parliament, I don't see how this isn't the best way out. Get a committed Brexiteer in charge, let them negotiate as they see fit and if the deal they negotiate is absolute shite then there is no hiding place. If it's a good deal, then hats off to them.

If the Tories genuinely have the country's best interests at heart, then can they just make sure it ISN'T one of the gutless Brexiteers who have sloped off in the past two years rather than actually fronted up to the challenge for the good of the nation.

A hard-line Brexiteer coming in would require an Article 50 extension and a delay to Brexit to attempt that and isn't going to going to get any alterations to the withdrawal agreement anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A hard-line Brexiteer coming in would require an Article 50 extension and a delay to Brexit to attempt that and isn't going to going to get any alterations to the withdrawal agreement anyway.
Let them try though, surely?

The Tories held a referendum. I don't agree with holding referendums and I certainly don't agree with the result of this one, BUT we are where we are and that party should be held accountable properly. Let's be honest, May was not the right person to try and deliver a good Brexit because she doesn't believe in it with a passion. All I'm saying is that for Brexit to be a success, the bare minimum ought to be that a Brexiteer is running the show. If they then can't deliver a good Brexit, parliament will have it's say and possibly the people (again) if it looked like we were all being thrown under a bus for the sake of one person's political career (as is the case now).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think she will comfortably win the confidence vote. However, as usual, those on the right of the Tory party have turned this into a golf club committee rebellion and forgot they have a course to maintain. Always have, always will. Selfish interests not the national interest.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Let them try though, surely?

The Tories held a referendum. I don't agree with holding referendums and I certainly don't agree with the result of this one, BUT we are where we are and that party should be held accountable properly. Let's be honest, May was not the right person to try and deliver a good Brexit because she doesn't believe in it with a passion. All I'm saying is that for Brexit to be a success, the bare minimum ought to be that a Brexiteer is running the show. If they then can't deliver a good Brexit, parliament will have it's say and possibly the people (again) if it looked like we were all being thrown under a bus for the sake of one person's political career (as is the case now).

I agree with you, but the big problem I see with a hard-line Brexiteer coming in is would they be zealous enough to ride roughshod over international treaty obligations and actually go for a no deal at the end of March? (A no deal, no deal, not an imaginary 'managed' no deal with a transition period) Would they be allowed?

Sure, there wouldn't be a parliamentary majority for it, but there isn't one for anything at present and there's no such thing as a good Brexit, it's a good damage limitation Brexit really. If the clock runs out and we end up exiting with no deal by the current defaults, the systems, infrastructure, agreements, legislation, staffing compliments etc aren't going to be ready because they'd take years to put in and implement among other things.

If this whole mess isn't going to be called off, it needs pausing and quickly now.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I do really hope it's Jeremy Corbyn.He is personally in favour of a hard-line No Deal Brexit.Kill two birds with one stone-us out of the EU,and Labour's chances of ever getting re-elected.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Boris Johnson is keeping an extremely low profile at the moment. He's had his haircut, and is sitting quietly, just waiting to pounce.

He got torn to pieces by one Tory MP on the radio this morning (I was on a train and kept losing connectivity so I'm not sure who it was), with the claim being he has very little support amongst Tory MPs. "You never see him - he's hardly ever here" was one comment that stuck out.

So, if he's correct, it's difficult to see how Boris could make it to a final two that would be put out to Tory party members.

However, if he did make that final two, he'd have a very good chance of success.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
He got torn to pieces by one Tory MP on the radio this morning (I was on a train and kept losing connectivity so I'm not sure who it was), with the claim being he has very little support amongst Tory MPs. "You never see him - he's hardly ever here" was one comment that stuck out.

So, if he's correct, it's difficult to see how Boris could make it to a final two that would be put out to Tory party members.

However, if he did make that final two, he'd have a very good chance of success.

I suspect that would have been Alan Duncan - He hates Johnson.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How wasn't it fair ???

Everyone had a choice and the choice was out.
Can't be fairer than that can you ???

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

The Tories voted Theresa May in, and now they've changed their minds. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us.
People's vote please.

[tweet]1072748694905282560[/tweet]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think there’s little to no chance of Boris becoming PM. He has as many haters as supporters in the parliamentary party which should see him ousted quite quickly even if he can conjure up enough votes to stand in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here