Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 7th birthday free shirt

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
asked the club via email and they said this:
Unfortunately Young Seagulls shirts are ordered directly from our supplier Nike, and we are only able to order one batch of one size which is 8-10, this size is also the smallest size that we are able to choose from when ordering our own stock. The shirts that we give out are completely separate from our club shop and like I say we only have one set of shirts that we are able to give out. This is in agreement with Nike too.

even though Nike have a kit designed for 7 year olds.
I asked if they'd be kind enough to let my son get the 7 year old Young Kids kit instead - so he could actually wear it. And they said no because of this bizarre arrangement.

i'm just amazed that we don't stock a home shirt for 6-8 year olds (as with other kits - accepting [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s observations above). That must be one of the most in-demand age groups for replica shirts.

Asked what? You can see on Seagulls Direct that the shirt for kids up to 7 is the "non-kit". The proper kit starts at 8-10.

Just going by post 5, and his information.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I buy Nike team shirts for our U7s (so all 6 or 7) and we always buy Nike 8-10. My own son turned 7 last summer and the 8-10 shirt was fine, he's not big for his age either. The 8-10 is for 128-137cm height, which Nike also list as 'small boys' and in some cases list it as 8-9. The 6-7 is for 122-128cm, so it is only fractionally smaller, and I'm sure the club cover themselves that in 99% of cases, the 128-137cm shirt is fine.

cheers - my lad is short though - and quite sensitive about it - even 122cm would be big, so hopefully he does some catching up. the reality is that i'll have to buy the 6-7 kit too.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
asked the club via email and they said this:
Unfortunately Young Seagulls shirts are ordered directly from our supplier Nike, and we are only able to order one batch of one size which is 8-10, this size is also the smallest size that we are able to choose from when ordering our own stock. The shirts that we give out are completely separate from our club shop and like I say we only have one set of shirts that we are able to give out. This is in agreement with Nike too.

even though Nike have a kit designed for 7 year olds.
I asked if they'd be kind enough to let my son get the 7 year old Young Kids kit instead - so he could actually wear it. And they said no because of this bizarre arrangement.

i'm just amazed that we don't stock a home shirt for 6-8 year olds (as with other kits - accepting [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s observations above). That must be one of the most in-demand age groups for replica shirts.

That is just crazy. You can claim a shirt when you are seven but you can't actually get the shirt because the club doesn't have shirts for seven year olds.

Another time. Another place. And this would be called a scam!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I remember I signed my daughter up to Gully's gang or what ever it was called in 2002 when she was born. Didn't know about the shirt thing until on her 7th birthday a shirt arrived, it was the Errea IT's one. She was very happy and I was amazed, could not believe the club would do something so nice. It was far to big for her by the way, but she did eventually grow in to it. She used to wear over a hoodie to begin with.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the reality is that i'll have to buy the 6-7 kit too.

reality is if the free offer wasnt there, you'd be buying one anyway right? perhaps buy an away kit this year, keep the free shirt for next year?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That is just crazy. You can claim a shirt when you are seven but you can't actually get the shirt because the club doesn't have shirts for seven year olds.

Another time. Another place. And this would be called a scam!

A scam that's completely free? Might be in some twisted parallel universe :dunce:

Like there's only one size of 7 year old anyway.

Just accept the next size up shirley?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Ultimately like many have said this is a brilliant scheme but comes across as confusing at times. The club can't make sure that they have a number of different sizes for every sized child. It's frustrating but it is free and an amazing gesture. It isn't perfect and feels like it has too much customer facing admin (yes we are customers in this instance) but I would expect many clubs to not take on the expense.

My only problem with my son was us going to a home game on his birthday to get the shirt and subsequently being told we couldn't claim it on a match day and only could in store on another day. We live 100 miles away so that was out. however they sorted it, I paid delivery and the guy sent it out from stock a day or two later. Pain in the arse and the kid got upset about it. But that issue was mine as I hadn't read the voucher properly. That is a bit of a nuisance for non local fans but it's free!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes and the club won't substitute one for the other despite the fact my son won't fit the 8-10 shirt (for a few years i'd imagine)!!!

So I have a voucher to buy a shirt that won't fit my 7 year old. And will have to pay to buy him a shirt that does fit, and is stocked by the club for 7 year olds. I'd suggest that this a flawed scheme. If you don't have the stock for the age group, change the scheme to free shirt on your 8th birthday!

Asked what? You can see on Seagulls Direct that the shirt for kids up to 7 is the "non-kit". The proper kit starts at 8-10.

first i asked why we don't supply a home kit aged 6-8 - didn't get a reply (this is a sales fail in my opinion)

and i asked if they'd be kind enough to honour the scheme and let him take a young kids 'non-kit' instead - but that apparently isn't possible.....

do i expect free stuff from the club? no
but if you have a well publicized scheme, pitched at a specific age group - i think it's pretty poor to not supply an age appropriate product.

Just going by post 5, and his information.

This is last season so may well be irrelevant but I am sure I had the same thoughts as Rich and it didn’t look like they’d have my daughters size BUT the ‘stock’ for the free shirts is different from seagulls direct. It’s in the ticket office but they have them. Worth checking if you haven’t been told for definite they don’t have that size.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes and the club won't substitute one for the other despite the fact my son won't fit the 8-10 shirt (for a few years i'd imagine)!!!

So I have a voucher to buy a shirt that won't fit my 7 year old. And will have to pay to buy him a shirt that does fit, and is stocked by the club for 7 year olds. I'd suggest that this a flawed scheme. If you don't have the stock for the age group, change the scheme to free shirt on your 8th birthday!

Mate, there isn't a lot of common sense goes on in that department and what makes it worse is even big chief Barber will back them to the hilt.
The 8th birthday is a great idea but if your 2 days overdue, you might as well be a Palarse fan.

I voted with my feet and have not spent a penny with the club since the 2-year anniversary of:

1) A rude and shockingly bad customer service personnel
2) A line manager who was weak to resolve the situation
3) PB not to give two hoots about a fan of 40+ years

Now we have a bigger fanbase PB treats us all as just a number.

On the plus side I have been able to spend more time with my family as a whole and spent the cash that the Albion miss out on a Personal trainer, so I am as fit as I have been in over 20 years.

Thanks, PB.

Good Luck Rich :thumbsup:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think you'll find (I stand to be corrected), that the Birthday Shirt stock is different from the shop stock. You don't go in and grab a shirt off the rail, you take your voucher to the ticket office counter in the shop and they exchange it for a shirt. This is what happened a year ago at least. :thumbsup:

p.s. my lad was a smallish 7 year old, but still went for the 8-10, they're not that big to be honest.

More likely a Marketing ploy - Don't stock 6-8 year old shirts - Forces them to become Junior Seagulls prior to that age if you want the shirt for that season that you turn 7 years old. If you get the kids interested younger you are more likely to keep them as fans for life. I think it is quite clever idea

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Mate, there isn't a lot of common sense goes on in that department and what makes it worse is even big chief Barber will back them to the hilt.
The 8th birthday is a great idea but if your 2 days overdue, you might as well be a Palarse fan.

I voted with my feet and have not spent a penny with the club since the 2-year anniversary of:

1) A rude and shockingly bad customer service personnel
2) A line manager who was weak to resolve the situation
3) PB not to give two hoots about a fan of 40+ years

Now we have a bigger fanbase PB treats us all as just a number.

On the plus side I have been able to spend more time with my family as a whole and spent the cash that the Albion miss out on a Personal trainer, so I am as fit as I have been in over 20 years.

Thanks, PB.

Good Luck Rich :thumbsup:

Are you still having a tantrum despite you quite clearly being in the wrong? :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] - I hope you reconsider mate. You’re missing out on the best years that you deserve. Let it go now and love on?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was waiting for Mouldy Boots to launch into this thread!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think you'll find (I stand to be corrected), that the Birthday Shirt stock is different from the shop stock. You don't go in and grab a shirt off the rail, you take your voucher to the ticket office counter in the shop and they exchange it for a shirt. This is what happened a year ago at least. :thumbsup:

p.s. my lad was a smallish 7 year old, but still went for the 8-10, they're not that big to be honest.

I missed this post, but put the same thing myself. If it’s not changed since April I’m pretty sure it’s correct and they have various sizes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I missed this post, but put the same thing myself. If it’s not changed since April I’m pretty sure it’s correct and they have various sizes.

You both missed the post and the point.

There is not a home shirt for a 7-y-o. Not in the shop, not on Seagulls Driect and not in some secret stock held for birthday claimants. The shirt simply doesn't exist as it's not manufactured. The smallest size is 8-10 (see here)

The shirt for 6-7 year olds is not the proper kit (see it here), and from what [MENTION=543]Rich Suvner[/MENTION] is saying, it also can't be claimed as the birthday gift anyway.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I
You both missed the post and the point.

There is not a home shirt for a 7-y-o. Not in the shop, not on Seagulls Driect and not in some secret stock held for birthday claimants. The shirt simply doesn't exist as it's not manufactured. The smallest size is 8-10 (see here)

The shirt for 6-7 year olds is not the proper kit (see it here), and from what [MENTION=543]Rich Suvner[/MENTION] is saying, it also can't be claimed as the birthday gift anyway.

Is that why Dean Cox had to leave?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here