Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes goal

Jan 10, 2014
Oh just realised you're a Burnley fan!!? Sorry.

No bother.

Every Burnley fan knows the limitations of our squad and the ace in the pack is the manager.

We are the hardest working team in the division, which we have to be just to compete in this league.

As for Barnes you still get that 'what's this round thing coming towards me and how do I control it'... to ....' beautiful chest control into my stride and pinpoint cross to Ings for a goal'. Or like yesterday... 'oooopps I stood on the spherical thing again and nearly fell over'...to... ' I'll just control this easily with one touch and then bend it in to the top corner'.

Vokes is very near to first team action now but he isn't going to start whilst Barnes is playing like he is. A great dilemma for the manager.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd love it if Burnley stayed up. Sean Dyche comes across as a very grounded, yet passionate manager, they have no fancy dans in the squad, and if they stay up it increases the chances of Palace coming down.
My daughter's favourite manager. She makes me say "meat filled pastry. Sausage rolls, cornish pasties" in a Sean Dyche voice.

We know how to have fun. Oh yes.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] Did u mean to thumbs down that post?!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
My memory of the cup defeat at Anfield was enhanced by a BHA tosser who abused Ashley Barnes throughout the game and told him he was a ****ing disgrace. I wondered at the time if our club have more ignorant delusional berks than others: apparently not so I have been told.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The final straw was when he picked up the ball to take a penalty. There was a loud groan from every corner of the Amex. He still scored it. I'm sure that's why he said he felt he wasn't wanted here. The club offered him a contract (rumour says it was a derisory offer) and he refused to sign it. Burnley had already shown they were interested in him in the summer.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good goal.

My patience finally lost with him when he he headed a Vicente corner against the post against Swindon.

Mackail-Smith was earlier when he missed in the last minute against Burnley.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Good goal.

My patience finally lost with him when he he headed a Vicente corner against the post against Swindon.

Mackail-Smith was earlier when he missed in the last minute against Burnley.
And so you wrote off a decent striker at the age of 22/23 eh? Good old Pers

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And so you wrote off a decent striker at the age of 22/23 eh? Good old Pers

I would not quite say that. I prefer the second striker of the more skillful type (say Nugent, McCormack, Messi, Kit Napier, Peter Ward) and a target man striker who is in the O'Grady or Bent style.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
[MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] Did u mean to thumbs down that post?!

Yep. I think you are being ridiculous. Ashley Barnes has scored 3 goals in the Premiership, despite not really starting many games until recently. He HAS won Burnley valuable points, and scored half as many as the 'god' Ulloa. To belittle what he has done is ridiculous.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The final straw was when he picked up the ball to take a penalty. There was a loud groan from every corner of the Amex. He still scored it. I'm sure that's why he said he felt he wasn't wanted here.

You fail to mention, the isolated but still significant pockets of shouted abuse.

Brilliant character he showed to stick that one in. I swear there were Albion fans that wanted him to miss, just so it would justify their irrational dislike for him.

Not even his staunchest supporter is saying that he's a 20 goal a year PL striker BUT he was a grafter, he was versatile, he was constantly improving, had bags of courage and would do what he was told by the manager. I never understood what there was to not like about him especially when the same idiots thought the sun shone out of (the Lague One striker) CMS's arse.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is very comparable. Take off your blinkers.

It isn't REMOTELY comparable. To clarify, Ashley Barnes absolutely carried our team for goals while others were out injured and he got pilloried by a minority on here (and a tiny minority in the ground) for not being mobile or quick whilst his strengths were totally ignored by detractors, to laughable levels. So whilst we were under strength up front, despite having Barnes playing each week, we still managed to stay in touch with the top six all the time he was here.

JFC on the other hand, is now part of a power-puff midfield that gets over-run towards the end of pretty much every single game, and is a major reason why we can NEVER hold onto a lead. Yes, he's young, yes he's an England U21, and yes he's probably doing his best and doesn't deserve stick during the game. But the fact is that his contribution is often totally negligible - an accusation that is almost impossible to level at Ashley Barnes.

With hindsight, the rot really set in when Barnes was allowed to leave for a piffly 750k. On the other hand, I really wouldn't care if JFC left tomorrow. Maybe Bournemouth will buy him for buttons and turn him into a world beater in 3 years time?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It isn't REMOTELY comparable. To clarify, Ashley Barnes absolutely carried our team for goals while others were out injured and he got pilloried for not being mobile or quick whilst his strengths were totally ignored by detractors, to laughable levels. So whilst we were under strength up front, despite having Barnes playing each week, we still managed to stay in touch with the top six all the time he was here.

JFC on the other hand, is now part of a power-puff midfield that gets over-run towards the end of pretty much every single game, and is a major reason why we can NEVER hold onto a lead. Yes, he's young, yes he's an England U21, and yes he's probably doing his best and doesn't deserve stick during the game. But the fact is that his contribution is often totally negligible - an accusation that is almost impossible to level at Ashley Barnes.

I think you've just proved our point. Young players who's contribution to the team got overlooked by a significant minority of our support, desperate to have a scapegoat.

Mark these words, when JFC leaves us it will be to a club better than we are and he will thrive. I think he's actually been one of the better performers this year when he's actually been played in positon (Another thing that Barnes critics seemed to completely ignore - he was almost always played out of position after the League 1 promotion year)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you've just proved our point. Young players who's contribution to the team got overlooked by a significant minority of our support, desperate to have a scapegoat.

Mark these words, when JFC leaves us it will be to a club better than we are and he will thrive. I think he's actually been one of the better performers this year when he's actually been played in positon (Another thing that Barnes critics seemed to completely ignore - he was almost always played out of position after the League 1 promotion year)
I haven't set out to prove or disprove anyone's point. I just take issue with this idea that the JFC situation is the same as that of Ashley Barnes. It clearly isn't, as Barnes was effective for the majority of his appearances despite carrying the team goal scoring responsibility and mostly being played out of position.

JFC is more like Cook at Bournemouth - could develop into a class act. But unlike Cook, he's been given his chance to prove it here, and indisputably hasn't taken it. He's very ordinary at senior level.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Granted England U21s isn't senior level, but it is significantly advanced to ensure that he has a future in the Championship or even the Premier League. Three experienced players who became managers, and Gareth Southgate see something you can't.
JFC isn't helped by the players around him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It isn't REMOTELY comparable. To clarify, Ashley Barnes absolutely carried our team for goals while others were out injured and he got pilloried by a minority on here (and a tiny minority in the ground) for not being mobile or quick whilst his strengths were totally ignored by detractors, to laughable levels. So whilst we were under strength up front, despite having Barnes playing each week, we still managed to stay in touch with the top six all the time he was here.

With hindsight, the rot really set in when Barnes was allowed to leave for a piffly 750k. On the other hand, I really wouldn't care if JFC left tomorrow. Maybe Bournemouth will buy him for buttons and turn him into a world beater in 3 years time?

I've not been overly impressed with JFC this season, but credit where it's due and he was probably our best player against Wolves, and seemed to benefit from having Holla around to do some of the kicking of the opposition.

I'm a bit baffled by his England U-21 regular appearances, but that could be as much to do with the dearth of talent coming through as anything else.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've not been overly impressed with JFC this season, but credit where it's due and he was probably our best player against Wolves, and seemed to benefit from having Holla around to do some of the kicking of the opposition.

I'm a bit baffled by his England U-21 regular appearances, but that could be as much to do with the dearth of talent coming through as anything else.

To be fair, there have been one or two games where he has apparently played well, so he has shown promise, but as yet, he's not in Barnes' class and remains very inconsistent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here